“Hit and miss”

Ranked #35 of 433 Restaurants in Kingston
Cuisines: British
Dining options: Dinner, Lunch, Late Night
Neighborhood: Downtown Kingston
Description: Situated in the heart of Downtown Kingston, The Pilot House is the ideal place to meet friends, share a pint and enjoy the best fish & chips in town. Our friendly staff and relaxing atmosphere are sure to make you feel right at home. Choose from a wide selection of fresh fish, coated in our Signature recipe batter, and then served upon a heaping portion of hand cut chips. It's no wonder that people return to Kingston again and again to enjoy the most authentic English Fish & Chips this side of the Atlantic. We also offer a wide selection of draught beer on tap. During the summer months, why not relax with friends on our patio. A short stroll from Confederation Basin and Market Square, makes The Pilot House the perfect place to take a break while enjoying all that Downtown Kingston has to offer.
Toronto, Canada
“Hit and miss”
Reviewed June 14, 2013

The very first time I went here for fish and chips, I shared two different kinds - the halibut and the haddock. I thought it was AMAZING. It was definitely pretty oily, but I don't expect anything less when eating fish and chips! The fries were cooked perfectly and were crispy and delicious (and also pretty oily as they soak up the oil from the fish that sits on top). The next time I went, which was a few weeks later, I ordered the haddock again and it was awful. There was almost no fish, it was all batter. I didn't complain because I always take it to go so I didn't notice until I got home. The next time I craved fish and chips, I took out the haddock again and it was great! And then the following time, it wasn't. I find that it's not very consistent but when it's good, it's REALLY good. I've never sat down to eat, so I can't really rate the service but whenever I take out food, I get served right away and the food comes out quickly.

• Visited February 2013

• Polish first
Toronto, Canada
“Disappointing food and service”
Reviewed June 3, 2013

Had a late lunch at the Pilot House, didn't feel like fish so ordered a steak and kidney pie,
The pastry was mush - obviously heated in a microwave, chips were average but covered with sub-par gravy. Service was not very attentive even though place was almost empty,

• Visited June 2013
1 Thank torrus57
Kingston, Canada
“Home away from home PUB”
Reviewed April 29, 2013

Best fish 'n Chips in K-ton...best regulars...fun staff...eclectic crowd...what are you waiting for ??

• Visited April 2013
Cape Vincent, New York
“Seafood”
Reviewed April 22, 2013

Solid seafood menu. Small and crowded dinning room. Plenty of choices if you are in the mood for fish and chips. Reasonable prices.

Visited October 2012
Markham, Canada
“Timeless ! Great Fish, Great Beer”
Reviewed March 16, 2013

Hasn't changed since the '80's when I was in school at Queen's.
Went back to visit and it's every bit as good as I remember. Cosy (to the point of being snug), casual, great value.

• Visited January 2013