“I would give it 0/5 if I could”
1 of 5 bubbles Review of Casa Domenico

Casa Domenico
Ranked #12 of 428 Restaurants in Kingston
Cuisines: Italian, Mediterranean
Good for: Large groups, Special occasions, Families with children, Business meetings, Romantic
Dining options: Dinner, Lunch, Late Night, Full Bar, Outdoor Seating, Private Dining, Reservations, Seating, Serves Alcohol, Waitstaff, Wheelchair Accessible
Kingston, Canada
“I would give it 0/5 if I could”
Reviewed June 7, 2013

We decided to visit the Casa Italian for dinner when our favourite restaurant (and the best in Kingston - Aqua Terra) was closed for renovations. The meal itself was reasonable (3/5 stars) but our evening was spoiled at the end when we advised our server that we would like to take the remaining 1/2 bottle of wine home. For those not from Ontario this was previously not possible until in 2007 the Liquor Licence Act was changed with the introduction of the "Take Home The Rest" Program which was designed to permit people to take home the remainder of unconsumed wine, purchased as part of a meal and to thereby reduce impaired driving. The ONLY requirement of the program is that the wine must be commercially purchased (i.e. not a homemade wine) and the establishment must "reseal" the wine = push the cork back into the bottle or screw the cap back on. There is NO OTHER REQUIREMENT to the program (see http://www.agco.on.ca/en/faqs/faqs_lla_changes.aspx)... no change to the licence is required, no additional costs for the establishment, no additional application, etc. etc. Participation in the program is entirely voluntary... but honestly, why would you deny a patron this option?? Instead, we were advised by the Manager (who either lied or was stupid) that 1) they didn't have the proper licence to permit this, 2) in order to get this licence it would cost them more money and 3) we should just drink the remainder of the wine before we drove home. In fact, at one point the Manager actually pointed to the bottle and said "There is only one thing I'm sure of... THAT bottle is not leaving this establishment!". Appalling. Totally appalling that in this era of "responsible alcohol consumption" this is the advice we would be given by an establishment potentially liable for the consequences had we overconsumed on site. This is the first restaurant in Kingston and in fact in Ontario in the last several years at which we have been denied this option. As noted, the program is voluntary, but given the near universal uptake of the "Take Home The Rest' Program, at a minimum I would expect an establishment that chooses NOT to participate in it... to advise its patrons accordingly, or at the very least to be educated to a law which is now several years old and hopefully to be able to provide a better justification to not participating other than being surly and stubborn. The only silver lining to our very frustrating experience was that we had purchased a relatively inexpensive bottle of wine. Given the very bad treatment we received, I will certainly never darken the door of this restaurant again.

• Visited June 2013
5 Thank ocall0

Ontario
“A Birthday Celebration for Me!”
Reviewed May 26, 2013

I was looking for an Italian restaurant for my (vegetarian) birthday dinner celebration. Too often I have been disappointed after ordering an expensive pasta dish that is no more flavourful than something I can make at home. Casa Italian DID NOT disappoint! We shared the Melanzane alla Parmigiana (Eggplant Parmesan) as an appetizer and then my husband had the Penne all Vodka and I had the Gnocchi Con Gorgonzola. Both pasta dishes were delicious! (This was way more food than we normally eat so we both ended up packing up some of our pasta to take home.) We both managed to save room for some Tiramisu, and again, I was pleasantly delighted by their version of my favourite dessert! Thank you Kelsey for being such a wonderful waitress and thank you Casa Italian for such a lovely birthday dinner!

• Visited May 2013
Vienna, Austria
“Our restaurant hopping started... and ended here!”
Reviewed May 24, 2013

We had big plans to go restaurant hopping, having appetizers and wine by the glass to try different restaurants on our one and only night in Kingston. We sat down at the bar here... and never left! Great/knowledgeable staff, great food, great decor -- we loved it!

Visited May 2013
Toronto, Canada
“Great Food-Good Atmosphere”
Reviewed May 21, 2013

This is a great restaurant. The food was fantastic and the atmosphere is nice. It is well located right downtown in close proximity to everything else.

Of note the mussels, shrimp and meatballs were spectacular and much better than I expected.

I look forward to eating here again on my next trip.

Visited May 2013
Ontario
“Better and better”
Reviewed May 1, 2013

Have used this restaurant over many years and have suffered its ups and down, It is now on a high. Refurnishing has given the place a very good atmosphere, and on our recent visits the food has been excellent and the staff has done its job well. The menu is comprehensive and the specials unique and very good. A most enjoyable place.

• Visited April 2013