“Never again”

Ranked #31 of 37 Hotels in Kingston
Halifax
“Never again”
Reviewed July 8, 2007

I went to Kingston this past weekend for a wedding and there were a group of rooms booked at the First Canada Inn at a discounted rate for the wedding guests. I called well in advance and reserved 2 rooms. I also called a week before checkin to confirm that I had in fact made the reservation for 2 rooms. Then my uncle called the day of checkin to find out if we could check in early. He was told both of our rooms were ready. So we went to checkin and we're told that we only have 1 room booked. They did manage to get us another room but that was only a glimpse of what was to come.

There was no iron or ironing board or hairdryer in the room. Luckily we were able to get these items at the front desk but I don't think I've ever seen a hotel that doesn't have them in the room. There were a few ice machines and vending machines but every single one of them were out of order. We were told there was no ice in the entire hotel, not even at the bar.

We were trying to make local calls and kept getting an error message so we called the front desk and he said he had to "turn on" the local calling feature and to try again in 30 seconds. Well 10 minutes later it still wasn't working. Had to go down to the front desk and then we're finally told that even though it's a local call we still have to dial the area code. He could have told us that when we called the first time.

The hotel offers free continental breakfast but it was pitiful. Also, they have a computer in the lobby but no internet on the computer. What's the point of that?

My mom requested a room with a balcony which he was able to confirm but when we stepped out on the "balcony" it was just sliding doors that opened out into the parking lot. There was no balcony.

OH, and the final straw: I gave him my credit card when I checked in and he put a hold on it for $200 (which he failed to mention to me). When I checked out, instead of using the original authorization for the $200 hold, he charged my credit card for that amount again. So when I went to check in to my hotel in Toronto the following night, my credit card was declining because the hotel was holding $400 instead of $200.

The only good things about the hotel: bed wasn't too bad, the room had a mini fridge, shower pressure was good.

But I would never stay there again.

3 Thank kristysh

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (63)
Travelers also viewed these Kingston hotels
Comfort Inn - Highway 401
Motel 6 Kingston
Motel 6 Kingston
#9 of 37 in Kingston
Courtyard by Marriott Kingston Highway 401 / Division Street

Been to First Canada Inns? Share your experiences!

Additional Information about First Canada Inns

Property: First Canada Inns
Address: 1 First Canada Crt, Kingston, Ontario K7K 6W2, Canada
Location: Canada > Ontario > Kingston
Bar / Lounge Business Center with Internet Access Free Breakfast Free High Speed Internet ( WiFi ) Free Parking Pets Allowed ( Dog / Pet Friendly ) Swimming Pool Wheelchair access
Ranked #31 of 37 Hotels in Kingston
Hotel Class:2 star — First Canada Inns 2*
TripAdvisor is proud to partner with Booking.com, Expedia, Hotels.com, Travelocity, Orbitz, Priceline, Hotwire, Cancelon, Cheap Tickets and TripOnline SA so you can book your First Canada Inns reservations with confidence. We help millions of travelers each month to find the perfect hotel for both vacation and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.
1st Canada Inns