“Money worth it”
Review of First Canada Inns

First Canada Inns
Ranked #33 of 37 Hotels in Kingston
Reviewed August 24, 2012

It is not in the city center but you will arrive there very easily + you have fast food restaurants and other malls in the same area. The huge TV is something unexpected, the room was clean, BIG and had all we needed. Our room was right next to the exit of the first floor but amazingly calm. A shame the breakfast is nasty, not a lot to eat, plastic utensils and no staff.

Reviewed August 22, 2012

Pleasant overnight stay, we used it as a stopover to do the Thousand Islands Cruise. The room was clean, tidy and very spacious, although the decor could do with a bit of improvement.
The breakfast choice was one of the best we had on our 17 day visit to Canada. There was no noise of an evening in the room we had, and the bed very comfortable. The patio door however had no lock, and was wedged shut with a block of wood, which was a bit poor. Overall however for the price, we would not hesitate to go back should we ever be in the area again

Reviewed August 19, 2012

Overall very satisfied. Decor great, breakfast very good, clean, friendly staff, easy checkin. Comfortable bed, nice size room with desk and sitting area. Wifi worked. Bathroom had no soap at the sink - had to use a liquid dispenser in the shower. Should have an electric outlet at desk level for electronics. Close to HWy 401, but not right beside it. Some trains to the south.

Room Tip: Get a room on north side.
  • Stayed: August 2012, traveled with family
Reviewed August 19, 2012

I was planning on heading to Kingston for a weekend and had received a Living Social email for a stay at this inn. Let me start off by saying that if it weren't for this discounted stay, I would have refused to pay for this room.

Like other visitors, I was surprised upon arriving that the facility was not accessible for those with mobility issues/disabilities. With so many provincial regulations encouraging accessibility, it's surprising they haven't tried to retrofit their facility (at least partially). The lack of elevator wasn't a big deal for myself and my partner, we were fine with the stairs.

Our room was as clean as could be expected for an older facility. The idea of soap dispensers rather than toiletry bottles was slightly off-putting, especially in the shower where you had one option, soap.

The two largest issues were the door and the bed. Our door appeared to have, at one point, been broken in to. The area surrounding the handle was cracked, and if you looked at the side of the door you could see the wood had separated due to impact. Our bed was very uncomfortable, with springs that dug in to my partners legs and sagged in the centre.

After all of this, the continental breakfast was surprising, although again nothing special. We came downstairs rather late (around 10am) and the food was picked over and clearly hadn't been replenished. With a lack of staff, this is not surprising. The girls that we dealt with were pleasant and were doing their best, but there is only so much two people can do.

I most certainly wouldn't recommend this to anyone looking for more than a place to spend a quick night. There are so many hotels in the area that have a higher standard - stick to those.

Reviewed August 18, 2012

I had not seen my daughter in almost a year and we decided to get a room somewhere away from home so we could just chill and catch up before she is gone again to school. This Inn looked like a very pleasant place to stay and so I booked two nights. My husband and youngest son also joined us. Let me first say, the cleaning staff were very pleasant and helpful when we needed anything.

First shock, not disability friendly. My husband has Muscular Dystrophy and there was no elevator. Also, the door knobs are the old round knobs I have not seen in hotels/motel in years, this posed a real problem as my husband was unable to open the doors. My daughter and I left the hotel for a few hours and I had to inform the front desk that if there was a fire drill or a fire, someone would have to go get my husband....these knobs really need to be updated for anyone who has arthritis or gross motor problems.
Yes the Inn could use some updating but for the price, I could easily overlook that.....the real problem for us was one employee.
My daughter and I went into the lounge/bar area to read, no one was there. We were reading for a while and a man came in and sat down to have a beer, then an employee (tall, bald man) comes in and says "it's way to quiet in here...this is not a library after all, it's a bar!" With that comment, he went and turned up the t.v and walks out....we were made to feel that the man who was having a beer was much more important than us and we were not welcome, so we left.

The next day, after spending the day out we came back looking forward to some time in the hot tub before heading to bed. The pool closed at 11:00pm so my two kids got into their bathing suits came down at 10:30 and that same employee told them the pool was closed for cleaning and wouldn't be open until the morning.....they had not yet had a chance to use the pool and they were terribly disappointed (it was hard explaining to my youngest who has Down syndrome that although the pool was open we were not allowed to swim).

We will not return where we are not welcome especially since we are paying.

Stayed: August 2012, traveled with family
Reviewed July 30, 2012

My family and I were traveling out east from Ontario and stopped here overnight. The place was sold out with sports teams so we were a bit worried about the noise. Thankfully, it was not loud while we were trying to sleep.
The hotel is very conveniently located as it is close to the highway and restaurants. The beds were comfortable and the place was clean. It was not the cleanest place I have ever stayed but it definitely was not the worst.
We had our dog with us, so they gave us a ground floor which was awesome as it was great when we needed to take him out. There was also a lot of green space around the hotel to walk him.
The air conditioner was VERY loud and this made it a bit difficult to sleep at first. Once you got used to it, it wasn't too bad.
The breakfast in the morning was pretty typical. It consisted of muffins, cereal, fruit, coffee, waffles, donuts. It was nice to have it provided.
We may try another hotel if ever in the area again.

• Stayed: July 2012, traveled with family
1  Thank Tac0Salad
Reviewed July 29, 2012

Stayed here after a long drive, we'd reserved in advance and were unsure what to expect after reading mixed reviews. It was OK, I really don't like bedspreads, this one had an odor (most hotel chains have upgraded to duvets with washable covers). The bathroom was clean, but down on condition; the toilet seat was so wobbly it was difficult to use (and looked as if it had been that way for awhile)--I told the front desk, so hopefully it will be fixed. The location is just off the motorway, although a little difficult to see the signs. An excellent Italian restaurant next door.

• Stayed: July 2012, traveled as a couple