“Little Gem in Kingston”
Review of Frontenac Club Inn

Frontenac Club Inn
Ranked #2 of 22 Kingston B&B and Inns
Reviewed October 21, 2010

We stayed at the Inn for one night only to split up a drive between Toronto and Montreal. Big mistake we should have stayed at least 2!!. The Inn was amazing, and we were made feel very welcome. We stayed in the Gardini Suite which was huge and very comfortable. Breakfast was lovely. Special mention also to Aqua Terra restaurant, which was excellant and only a short stroll away

Reviewed October 12, 2010

Just returned from a weekend getaway to Kingston. Stayed in the Chisholm room on the 3rd floor. Utterly fantastic room and breakfast to die for along with sparkling breakfast conversation with the owner about historic properties and sights to see. Wonderful inn, central location, fantastic staff. Beautifully and lovingly restored (the preserved stone heating duct in our room, old bowling alley in the meeting room, and the framed original wallpaper are a bonus for historical fanatics!).
As mentioned in a review earlier, and on the website itself, this is not a place for small children - but a glorious place for a getaway and history buffs. Will definitely be our home base again whenever we are in Kingston.

• Stayed: October 2010, traveled as a couple
1  Thank archaeology1925
Reviewed October 9, 2010

This was our second visit to the Frontenac Inn. Each October my wife and I take a week to see our son at RMC and also spend some time in the Thousand Islands. We love this place. It is centrally located, the parking is free and the staff are first rate. We had the pleasure of visiting a few minutes with daughter of the owners who made a special effort to make us feel welcome again. We had stayed here two years ago and we were surprised that she remembered us. Our room was (#9) was large and quiet and just perfect for our needs. The breakfasts are great (love the steel cut oats!) and filling. The B & B even have their own blend of coffee from a local purveyor which we enjoy so much we went and bought some. What is particularly enjoyable is the large meeting and reading room on the main floor stocked with books, magazines, newspapers and games. We have used the room often!

• Stayed: October 2010, traveled as a couple
Reviewed October 8, 2010

Great place, great location and interesting building with a nice room but...

Next day at breakfast, hosts were hanging around a chatting at the tables, which is fine and my wife and I don't mind that so much, we were engaging in conversation ourselves. When I mentioned I was from Buffalo, NY to Bear, one of the owners, he said 'I used to go to Buffalo when I was like 15...' and than sarcastically said, 'and I know, why would some one want to go to Buffalo?' So seeing an insult coming I said, 'To see a Leafs away game? To have some good chicken wings? To check out some Frank Lloyd Wright houses?' But no, of course it was to buy cheap Puma sneakers. Oh and by the way, American beer sucks. Because as we know, all Buffalo is good for Canadians is to buy stuff cheap. I am sure it was a bit of friendly fire, but I found it slightly offensive and it annoyed me. And to all you Canadians reading this, I know America isn't perfect and we do indeed deserve our fair share of criticism (and I agree that a lot of American beer is garbage), but if you talked negatively about other cultures like you so openly talk about America and insult Americans, it would be considered offensive. You certainly don't expect to hear it from the hospitality industry.

Won't be going back to this place. I was annoyed enough to try one of the many other B&Bs on my next trip to Kingston, which by the way otherwise was a lovely place to go for a weekend.

3  Thank Life-of-Reilly77
FrontenacClubInn, Owner at Frontenac Club Inn, responded to this reviewResponded October 11, 2010

Thanks for the positive comments about our Inn and the city of Kingston.
I understand that over the years people & the media have taken cheap shots at Buffalo and I understand your frustration (my hometown Toronto continues to be the butt of some less than positive comments). When we chatted about my visit to Buffalo in 1961, it was to buy an elusive pair of Converse All Stars, never Pumas. Converse were widely availabale in Buffalo, and at that time near impossible to find in Toronto. As a 15-year old basketball player, I was thrilled to get them, and equally thrilled to be crossing the border for the first time. I completely agree with you that Buffalo is an underrated city and deserves more positive recognition. In fact, living close to the American border enables me to visit & enjoy New York state on a regular basis, in addition to other U.S. destinations. We are celebrating the Inn's 10th anniversary in November and in recognition of our need for an extended holiday, my wife & I are taking a month long train trip through the United States and then back across Canada.
We look forward to continuing to welcome American visitors & friends to the Inn. To this day, I still wear Converse All Stars and love visiting the U.S.A., one of the great countries in the world. We sincerely hope you will continue to visit Kingston and enjoy everything this great town has to offer. Thanks.
Beare Weatherup Co owner, Frontenac Club Inn

Reviewed October 8, 2010

We stayed in the Gardini Room for 3 days and loved every minute. The room was extremely spacious and the decor was immaculate. The renovation that took three years to carry out has been worth every minute. The guest lounge was gorgeous. Our own sitting area was perfect for hubby to do his work in the mornings without disturbing my sleep. The bed was really comfortable and the bathroom was impressive - the only drawback was that I couldn't have a shower without washing my hair (as the large shower rose was overhead) and I couldn't have a bath and wash my hair (I had to get out and do that in the shower after). But these are tiny drawbacks in a place that was perfect in every other way.
Beare, Susan and Jess could not have been more friendly and welcoming. Beare recommended two great bars and gave us loads of extra information and advice as we are considering emigration to the area. The three course breakfasts were delicious if too much for us at the tail end of our time in Canada after having eaten too much over the previous weeks. In addition the location was perfect to walk into town and it was great having car parking on site.
Overall we will definitely be back next time we are in Kingston and wouldn't consider staying anywhere else.

• Stayed: September 2010, traveled on business
Reviewed September 19, 2010

Stayed here for 3 nights as part of our mini tour around Southern Ontario and found the Frontenac to be a comfortable & friendly B & B with great staff & lovely breakfasts. We stayed in the Cooke Suite in the annex which was comfortable, spacious and with a wonderful walk in shower. During our stay it started to get cool in the evenings but it was lovely being able to put the gas fire on in our lounge area for reading/watching TV before going to bed!
The only criticism we would have is that bedroom windows are not double glazed, only secondary, which was a disadvantage when the bins were emptied at 6am! However this didn't spoil our stay.
The Frontenac Inn is in a fantastic location for Kingston's bars & restaurants, which are all within 5-10 minutes walk, Wooden Heads for food and the Toucan for a drink being particularly good.
The Co-Owner ( Beare) was particularly helpful in suggesting places to visit & routes to take which was a great help in planning our day and making the most of our stay. We liked the Frontenac, Kingston and its surrounding area very much and will one day return.
Thanks to all at the Frontenac

Reviewed September 8, 2010

My husband and I recently spent our 30th wedding anniversary in Canada and because of a last minute cancellation were able to stay at the Frontenac Club Inn for three nights. We thoroughly enjoyed the inn with all it's historic ambience. Breakfast was a special treat for me, a great opportunity to expore different types of things we normally don't have in the deep south. (no grits or gravy and biscuits!) We have only been home a week and we have had steel-cut Irish oatmeal with flaxseed and blueberries several times for breakfast! Yummy! I will remember next time to pay closer attention to exactly where our room is located. I have never eaten as well or been on vacation where I actually lost weight thanks to the 48 stairs to our room! Thanks for a great stay!

The Joneses, Trussville, Alabama USA