“Great Time”

Dianne's Fish Shack & Smokehouse
Reserve with OpenTable
Dianne's Fish Shack & Smokehouse is not available for your requested time. Choose another time, or search restaurants with availability.
The time you selected has already passed.
Ranked #17 of 429 Restaurants in Kingston
Cuisines: Barbecue, Mexican, Seafood
Good for: Local cuisine
Dining options: Breakfast, Late Night, Outdoor Seating, Reservations
Description: Just steps from the waterfront a classic East Coast Kitchen meets the flavours of Baja Mexico! Think Lobster Rolls, Fish N' Chips & Chowder along with Tacos, Ceviche, Tostadas & Guacamole. There's Fresh Fish, Roasted Lobster, Steamed Crab & freshly shucked oysters. From the land; savoury Grilled Steaks, Burgers, Fried Chicken, Salads, Sandwiches and more! From the bar; ice cold craft beer & local wines on tap! Premium whiskies & tequilas, refreshing cocktails and the City's best fresh squeezed margaritas! All served up in a casual, fun & vibrant atmosphere. Children's menu, vegetarian and gluten-free options available. Take-out.
Guelph
“Great Time”
Reviewed September 11, 2013

I have to think the poor review writers are not as understanding or pleasant as we are. The food we were served was very good and the wait staff was incredible! Everyone was happy and although the food did take time was worth the wait.
I had lobster roll and slaw which I loved because it was innovative and hubby had oyster po boy also one of the best we have had.
We have gone back three times and will continue to. Hope they change up the style of halibut.

• Visited July 2013

• Turkish first
Toronto, Canada
“Nice place, good food”
Reviewed September 10, 2013

We spent the day in Kingston, and decided to grab a bite at Dianne's, given that we saw so many people lining up to get in there.

Initially, we were seated outside, wanting to have a nice view of the water, but decided after a few minutes to move indoors, given the amount of wasps hanging around. Seriously, what is it with Kingston and wasps?

Anyway, the hostess was happy to accommodate us, and found us a table inside. The decor was great, and the fact that seafood was their thing was very well depicted in the design and theme of the restaurant. Gave off a trendy vibe without making the patrons feel suffocated or pressured.

I ordrered the lobster roll, and chose the Mexican street corn as my side, while my girlfriend ordered the fish and chips. The fish and chips were fantastic. Two generous pieces of Alaskan cod with a nice, light batter, and great chips. The house slaw that accompanied the meal was a nice refresher between bites of fish and chips, and kept you from feeling too loaded down. In the end, after throwing half a piece of cod onto my plate, she still wasn't able to finish, though.

The lobster roll was okay, but nothing more than that. The bun was crispy and buttery, which is what you want and expect with any lobster roll, but the lobster was just slightly overcooked (a bit too chewy), and the bountiful amount of lobster you look forward to in a roll was severely lacking. I never mind dishing out $20 or more for a lobster roll, and while this was only priced at $17, I still don't feel like it was nearly enough filling for $17. It was filled no more than a hotdog bun would be filled with by a cheap hotdog. The flavors were there, but this could have been improved in many ways. The street corn, though. Wow. I had the chance to sample this a few years back in Mexico, and it met all of my expectations. Perfect bite, not too spicy. Absolutely delicious. I'd definitely order it again!

Service could have been better. Our waitress was a bit cold and unattentive, and barely looked at us while speaking, which was a severe contrast to the hostess, who had been so warm and welcoming. Regardless, I would go back again and sample a few other items on the menu, and just hope for a nicer waitress the next time.

• Visited September 2013
Toronto, Canada
“Tasty”
Reviewed September 8, 2013

It was our first time eating here after some friends recommended it. We came in between lunch and dinner so we were seated immediately as there were few other diners. The service was very good...friendly,courteous and we didn't have to wait long at all for our order. My fish and chips were good and my friend found her meal very tasty. The restaurant is clean and the decor modern but warm and inviting . Some of the windows offer a view of the water front and there is outdoor seating as well. My only complaint would be about the loud roadhouse music that in my opinion did not suit the overall atmosphere of this restaurant.

• Visited September 2013
Kingston, Canada
“My new favourite restaurant!”
Reviewed September 3, 2013

As a resident of Kingston, we eat out a lot and are always thrilled when new restaurants open up. After my 5th visit to Dianne's Fish Bar must say it's my new favourite. Each time I've made a point of trying something new, as has my husband, and we've yet to be disappointed - in fact are usually pleasantly surprised at how good the food is. So far the fish and chips - to die for, the oysters - great selection, fresh; best fries ever; yummy coleslaw; best grilled corn on the cob; amazing burger; loved the lobster - and my new all-time favourite - KFC. The biggest plate in town I swear with huge pieces of delicious fried chicken and a dip to die for - plus two sides - I had the fries (of course) and Caesar salad (yum) for only $19.00. Had to get a take-away for 3 pieces of chicken and almost all the rest. Love the beer and wine selection, outdoor patio and indoor décor. Prices are great compared to other venues close by - definitely worth a try.

• Visited August 2013
Kingston, Ontario, Canada
“A Welcome Addition”
Reviewed September 2, 2013

Kingston has always lacked in the seafood restaurant department so Dianne's is a welcome addition. I had the opportunity to eat there twice in one week and was pleased both times. Ceviche is the house speciality and it did not disappoint. I could not make up my mind as to which of the three dishes offered, so the sampler was the perfect solution. I very much enjoyed the lobster roll on my second visit. The location is great and the decor is comfortable. I can only vouch for the lunch menu but am looking forward to having dinner there.

• Visited August 2013