“fool me once.”
Review of Jack Astor's

Jack Astor's
Reserve with OpenTable
Jack Astor's is not available for your requested time. Choose another time, or search restaurants with availability.
The time you selected has already passed.
Ranked #29 of 435 Restaurants in Kingston
Cuisines: American, Bar, Grill
Dining options: Dinner, Late Night, Lunch, Reservations
Description: www.facebook.jackskingston.com
Reviewed January 2, 2013

after the opening rush, we went to try it out.

On a January 2nd, place was very quiet.

10 staff and maybe 20 custumer.
Staff at bar keep horse playing around.
Throwing beer at each other. Very unprofessional.
After that, you realize that the beer they pitched was your WTF!

Food is decent but portion are smallish.

Never again.

1  Thank Martin P
There are newer reviews for Jack Astor's

Reviewed January 2, 2013

Nice all the way around Energitic staff, great atmosphere. And the food was .......... REALLY GOOD!!!! We sat on the balcony. We will return! :) 2 THUMBS UP!!!

ps and yes, we did doodle on our table :)

Reviewed January 1, 2013

A very busy place, as expected, but we had a large group (20) of us for dinner for a Christmas Works do. We had a table upstairs overlooking the bar downstairs. Great food. I had the steak which was delicious and my husband had a chicken salad. We all enjoyed our meals and the staff were very attentive. It hasn't been open long and is in the former TD bank building in downtown Kingston. There was an elevator there but it didn't appear to work and we could have done with it as we had someone who couldn't walk well down the flight of stairs.The staff didn't seem to know if the elevator worked or not when asked if we could use it! Would definitely go back again.

Reviewed December 31, 2012

My girlfriend and I have eaten at Jack Astor's in Nova Scotia and had hoped ever since that Kingston would end up getting one.
We finally did!

Our first attempt to eat there didn't work out so well. It was shortly after it opened, relatively speaking... so we called down to see how busy they were and were told it wasn't that bad and to come on down.
We were there within fifteen minutes and our arrival confused us slightly... there was like an hour wait for a table or we could sit at a "community table" until ours was ready.
We asked why we were told it wasn't that busy and staff actually said they didn't know and that another couple had just had a similar experience. We left.
This was kind've disappointing as it was our first night out together since the birth of our child and we were dying for thag bruschetta... a community table for our date, even temporarily, didn't sound appealing. I've since been told by a lifelong bartender that it is illegal for businesses to lure you in falsely, but I don't plsn to make a federal case out of it. lol

We order Jack's recently... Yes, they do takeout!!
We got two orders of bruschetta and a couple burgers with fries.
We had to assemble the bruschetta ourselves, which bugged the girlfriend but I though it was a better surprise than finding say, the bruschetta fixings a over the inside of the box when we opened it up.
It's better to send it in pieces for freshness and it was kind've fun assembling it ourselves.
That being said they could have been a bit more liberal with some of the ingredients.
The burgers were soggy, but that's to be expected when you package a hot meal up that contains a bun. Venting on the package mihht reduce ot but then your food gets cold so I don't mind the softness.
It was still pretty good all things considered. It'd be an amazing burger in restaurant! Fries were decent. Gravy was good too.

The staff we ordered from were friendly. It's that rehearsed service you see in some major chains but they are upbeat and friendly which beats the hell out of most of the attitudes you run into when ordering in Kingston!

This may sound like a negative review but I would still go back there come hell or high water if only for the bruschetta. It's the best out there in both my and my girlfriends opinion!!
Seriously, go in and try it. It's amazing.

They aren't quite as busy as when they first opened it seems. I chaulk the come on down mistake to an employee maybe not realizing what kind of wait was on the queue. Not a big deal, but still worth mentioning.

Reviewed December 29, 2012

First visit to the new restaurant in Kingston. Food was fine. They were out of baked potatoes, so we ordered sweet potato fries instead but I think we were charged the upgrade fee, which I don't think should have been charged. I had planned on taking half my blue cheese steak and some vegetables home, and the server went to get a takeout container. But instead of bringing a container back, she came back and took both plates from us. Which would've been fine, except she put the dirty empty plate on top of my meal that I wanted to take home. When we said something, she said sorry, but I was sort of expecting that there would've been something else offered ie. the app taken off or something. We didn't bother to ask for manager, we just wanted to get out of there. Had I known that half my meal would've been wasted, I just would have eaten it. Very disappointing as it was a good steak. Sigh. It's getting harder and harder to get good service in Kingston restaurants.

2  Thank Lisa M