“Tried something different-Mistake” 2 of 5 bubbles
Review of Gina's BBQ Smokehouse - CLOSED

Gina's BBQ Smokehouse
Cuisines: Barbecue, Canadian
Dining options: Dinner, Lunch, Breakfast, Delivery, Seating, Takeout
Description: L. A. Bob's Smokehouse is a sit-down or take out restaurant featuring a smoked meat and BBQ style menu. Dishes include pulled pork sandwiches, Montreal smoked meat on rye, smoked ribs, hamburgers, burritos, soups, salads, fish and chips and our signature smoked beer can chicken! We are open 7 days a week for lunch and dinner, 11 am to 8 pm. Catering also available. We are located at 1759 Bath Road Kingston, beside the Frontenac Secondary School.
“Tried something different-Mistake”
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed September 20, 2012

It should be noted that this is the first time I have taken the time to write a review about a dining experience. Normally, when things are this bad I just do not go back. This time I feel it necessary to share my experiences.I and my parents decided to try something different and we wanted to try the pulled-pork sandwiches. The waitress was very good. She was pleasant and I cannot fault her for anything. My father ordered the smoked-meat sandwich, my mother the fish and chips and I ordered the pulled-pork sandwich, one of their signature dishes. The waitress informed me that they were out of pulled-pork. I was disappointed but quickly got over it and went with the smoked meat sandwich. During the cooking process I heard the cook tell the waitress that they were out of french fries and they would go to wedges. The waitress asked the cook if they had enough for our order and he said yes. When the food arrived, you guessed it, no fries but wedges. I asked the waitress about the fries and she said that sometimes they just serve wedges. Never a good idea to lie to the consumer! We had ordered the coleslaw but were served a side salad that really just looked like hamburger toppings. She said they were out of coleslaw. The smoked sandwiches were, simply stated, terrible. The meat was not shaved or thin but rather large cut pieces. The meat, which if I am correct, should be lean but was fatty. I really wanted this place to be good because I love BBQ but I remain hopeful that such a place exists. It is, however, not this place! I would strongly suggest you avoid this place!!

• Visited September 2012
    • 2 of 5 bubbles
    • 2 of 5 bubbles
    • 1 of 5 bubbles

Bath
“Good food at a fair price in the west-end of Kingston!”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 26, 2012

My wife and I decided to try out this new restaurant late one afternoon (we were going to an early movie later that evening.) The restaurant is small andfilled up as we were eating our meal, so we were lucky that we'd decided to eat early. Many of the customers that came in were repeat customers. (Always a good sign!)

The menu had burgers, wraps, appetizers, etc, but we wanted to try some of the BBQ items (hey- it IS a smokehouse, right?) e finally decided to order the "Triple Threat" plate and split it between us. SO glad we did- because it was a LOT of food! The Triple Threat consisted of ribs, bbq smoked chicken and a choice of pork or chicken souvlaki. We also had our choice of garlic-mashed potatoes, frnch fries or potato wedges. We chose the wedges.

The plates arrived (one for the meats and a second one piled high with potato wedges!) We divided up the meats added some potato wedges and dug in. The souvlaki was nice- not great, but still nice. The ribs were literally fall-off-the-bone tender, meaty and the bbq sauce was smoky and sweet. (I generally prefer sauce with a bit more spice, but this sauce was nice too.) For both of us, the favourite part of the meal was the smoked bbq chicken. The smoky flavour had permeated the white meat and the skin was crispy and tasty. The chicken was also moist and juicy. A definite winner!

The potato wedges were also very tasty and had a great seasoning. There was simply too much of them for both of us to eat! We're both pretty good eaters but there was still plenty left over when we gave up. Needless to say, we didn't have dessert! LOL.

The restaurant doesn't yet have a liquor licence, but hopefully they'll get one, as a cold beer would've been awesome with this meal. The value was very good- the Triple Threat, with more than enough for two people, cost $22.99. A pretty cheap meal for two people and the food was quite tasty. We'll definitely be back again soon.

A word of caution, though: This restaurant is near a high school and on school days they serve up $5 specials for students, so the place is really packed with students from 11:30 to 12:30. I'd go before or after or go for supper.

• 3 of 5 bubbles
Kingston, Canada
“Still new - some kinks but promising”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 24, 2012

This restaurant is a much needed addition to an area of Kingston which has mostly mediocre restaurants especially when it comes to breakfast. I went for breakfast recently and had the smoked meat and eggs. The smoked meat was very good, as were the home fries. The eggs were slightly underdone, but the excellent service just about made up for it. The young men who work the breakfast are eager to please and eager to see the restaurant succeed. They are charming, personable and a welcome addition to the neighbourhood. I hope for their sake that they do well, and that they learn to leave the eggs on just a fraction longer.

• 3 of 5 bubbles
Kingston, Canada
“Best BBQ Ribs in town...”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 11, 2012

Craving ribs or smoked anything then Gina's is the place. The portion sizes were huge, the service was great and pricing was excellent. Take it from a person who eats out a lot, this is a must try and see for yourself. Keep up the good work guys and I'll be back soon!!!

Kingston, Ontario, Canada
“Smoke house in kingston? Great Idea”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 9, 2012

I have been to Gina's a number of times and every time i have been impressed with the food and service. Below are some of the items i have had so far.

Ribs. I read the review from Greg Berliuk from the whig standard and wanted to check it out for myself. when i walked in there was a full house which was a great sign. when i sat down i was approached by the owner who at the time was also helping out serving food. He suggested that i try the ribs so i did and wow.. the ribs were a hickory smoked, fall off the bone delight with their own secret sauce. Even the fries were very tasty.

i came back a week later and had the pulled pork sandwich: Another great dish that had so much flavor. it was moist and a little messy but that's what pulled pork is.. I really enjoyed it and would definitely order that again.

Smoked meat: Very nice sandwich and i was very impressed with the flavor of this meat. Im not sure if i would order it again as im not a avid smoke meat eater. but i liked it.

to sum it up i have been there 3 times and i really enjoyed the food. I will be back for sure.

• Visited July 2012