“Mediocre at best”
Review of Days on Front

Days on Front
Reserve with OpenTable
Days on Front is not available for your requested time. Choose another time, or search restaurants with availability.
The time you selected has already passed.
Ranked #5 of 433 Restaurants in Kingston
Cuisines: Canadian
Good for: Special occasions, Local cuisine
Dining options: Breakfast, Late Night, Reservations
Ottawa, Ontario
“Mediocre at best”
Reviewed February 23, 2014

We came here from Ottawa to celebrate a birthday dinner for two of the members of our dinner party. Drinks included a glass of riesling, a red sangria and a lemonade, none were exceptional. For starters we had salads: the beet and the green salad, these were the best part of the meal, and were extremely large in portion. We had to ask our server for bread, even though he had said he would bring us some. So we got bread at the same time as our starters. The bread was stale and awful, which is so disappointing as there is bakery right next door in the strip mall. The bread tasted as if it were three days old. Finally after a wait we received our meals: the lamb stew, the halibut, a rainbow trout special, and the tenderloin. The halibut was extremely fishy smelling and awful. I should have taken cue as a woman at table nearby had ordered it and I could smell it from there. The waiter had recommended it highly. We all tried a bite and it was also extremely chewy, which fresh fish should never be. The beef tenderloin, although I asked for medium was very pink in the middle but charred/burnt on the outside, and I had to use my steak knife to cut it the whole time. It was a tough chewy cut of meat, which tenderloin AAA shouldn't be. The green beans that accompanied were so undercooked I had to cut them with the steak knife too. The only good was the scalloped potato square that accompanied it. The lamb stew was satisfactory, and the rainbow trout was excellent, fresh with lovely flavour. For desserts we had the crime brûlée, two sundaes and the bread pudding. Desserts were nice. When the server came to ask us how our meal was, my sister told him how awful the halibut was, he didn't even apologize, just told us he would tell the kitchen. Then he sent another person over to do the banking. And he never brought us our coats, but other tables had theirs brought to them-how rude! Needless to say, I would never return. Stick to aqua terra or chien noir....

• Visited February 2014
4 Thank Merbear47
DaysOnFront, Owner at Days on Front, responded to this review, March 3, 2014
I am truly sorry to hear about your experience at Days On Front. I can assure you that we strive for much more than mediocre. I would really like the opportunity to discuss your meal further. My email is mattday@daysonfront.com. Again I am extremely sorry that we didn't deliver you the experience that myself and my team pride ourselves on giving.

My apologizes,

Matt Day

Ottawa
“Wow - can't wait to go back”
Reviewed January 19, 2014

Not what you expect from a strip mall restaurant. But don't be deceived. It was an interesting menu without being overly trendy. It was hard to decide as everything on the menu looked great. We decided to split the mac and cheese appetizer and scallops to start. The staff very kindly brought us the mac and cheese already separated in individual casserole dishes. Both appetizers were divine. Our main courses, halibut and beef tenderloin were excellent with interesting sides. Our server was attentive without being intrusive. This was my first time at the restaurant but I'll certainly be back.

• Visited January 2014
1 Thank geegeeOttawa
Kingston, Ontario, Canada
“Always a great experience at Days on Front”
Reviewed January 12, 2014

My wife and I went to Days on Front for her birthday January 10th. Our server Matthew was terrific and was very sharp on the evenings features. Our meals were excellent as always. One thing I like to emphasize when reviewing this restaurant is that when you are getting ready to leave, each staff member in proximity is quick to thank you for your business. It should be expected but think back to how many times multiple people have looked you in the eye and truly thanked you for your business. Will definitely be returning!

• Visited January 2014
2 Thank Quinton H
Brockville, Canada
common_n_restaurant_reviews_1bd8 1 helpful vote
“Best in Kingston”
Reviewed January 7, 2014

By far the best restaurant in Kingston! The servers are very knowledgable about the menu and wine list and the meal is perfect! I suggest getting the scallops to start! The chef's special is always a treat!!

• Visited September 2013
1 Thank Heatherpigg
Kingston, Canada
“Good food...tight quarters”
Reviewed January 5, 2014

Very good chef results in tasty food. Have been for lunch and dinner, the latter on a recent Sat. night. Soup and salads well done, as was pork main dish. Only concern here is the tight quarters in the restaurant, not much they can do about it but be prepared for a noisy time during busy hours.

• Visited December 2013