“Ripped Off”

Thriftlodge Kingston
Ranked #18 of 37 Hotels in Kingston
Reviewed March 9, 2006

A very disappointing experience when handed the bill upon checking out; I was charged Double the price I was quoted and signed for upon signing in. Attempts to have manager contact me went unanswered. The Inn's total refusal to accept any responsibility for a mistake or charge me the correct amount quoted left me stunned and bitterly disappointed in an Inn which could have easily resolved this in a better way.
I will never stay here again.

Stayed: February 2006
7  Thank A TripAdvisor Member
Wooz777, Front Desk Manager at Thriftlodge Kingston, responded to this reviewResponded February 21, 2007

In response to your remarks about our hotel, (this incident happened prior to my arrival on staff). I will not appologize for my predecesors, only assure you that incidents like this, and feedback and return calls will NEVER take more than 48 hours. that is my promise to my guests.

There are newer reviews for Thriftlodge Kingston

toronto, ontario
Reviewed August 10, 2005

I'm glad that I ignored the bad reviews of others, some people might have had a bad expierence but not me. The staf was curtious and very helpful.
I travelled by train and forgot my laptop case with all my I.D. in it(stupid me) the desk clerk could have said to bad for me but instead he got in touch with the train station and got it returned to me. What a life saver.
The construction must be over because i didn't see any of it.
The Peachtree is the only spot that I will stay in Kingston.

• Stayed: August 2005, traveled on business
6  Thank A TripAdvisor Member
PeachtreeManagement, Front Office Manager at Thriftlodge Kingston, responded to this reviewResponded September 1, 2016

Thank you so much for your review! We hope if you find yourself in the Kingston area, you'll visit us again! Have a wonderful day from all the staff at Thriftlodge Kingston.

Detroit
Reviewed June 27, 2005

Worst place I have ever stayed ... staff was non existent and not very helpful. Waited 20 min. just to check in and I was the only person there with no acknowledgment from he staff. Hotel was under construction ... which they never indicated and they made no attempt to accommodate the guests nor did they even apologize for the inconvenience. Painters were all over and you could not even get around them and the elevator was under repair. Hotel smell terrible and was not clean at all.

• Stayed: December 2004
5  Thank A TripAdvisor Member

Thank you so much for your review! We hope if you find yourself in the Kingston area, you'll visit us again soon! We have recently been re-branded to Thriftlogde Kingston and have joined the Wyndham Hotel Group. We are happy to have new staff on board, many updated/renovated rooms are now available and amenities have been updated. We hope you have a wonderful day from all the staff at Thriftlodge.

Kingston Ontario
Reviewed April 29, 2005

Oh my. Let's start with arriving to find one of the hotel staff in an extremely heated discussion with two gentlemen involved in a massive renovation currently underway. The clerk checking me in looked very uncomfortable. The registration desk and area surrounding is very small, but finally the argument took itself to the Continental Breakfast area just off the lobby, but still well within ear shot.

Signs are posted that advise the hotel is being renovated. Fair enough. Charged a rate of $71.00 Cdn single occupancy in a room with two double beds.

Having checked in I went to my car, got my belongings and entered through the covered but open air garage area. The elevator doors opened and I find a janitor's bucket full of soapy, dirty water with a mop stuck in it, and no one to be seen. Unique in my experience.

Exiting the elevator I encountered a nauseating stench in the stairwell and entrance way to the third floor corridor. A different but no less unpleasant smell in the corridor. Incredibly hard to make a comparison - sort of like stale air freshener that was used to mask the smell of vomit.

The room itself was acceptable and free of the stench. I literally could not have stayed there otherwise. All windows are sealed and the only air exchange is via the combined heating/air conditioning unit. Fan in the bathroom sounded like the engine off a 747. Walls are absoutely paper thin - thank God the people next door didn't snore and were intent on getting some sleep. I could, literally, sit at the desk and hear this guy turning the pages of his newspaper. One imagines that if you are an audio voyeur this is a good place to hang out.

Continental breakfast was pretty pathetic and an absolute travesty for the environment. Everything in plastic and styrofoam with no intention whatsoever of recycling any of it.

On check out one clerk was on the phone taking a reservation. The other, who clearly saw that I was waiting, carried on with some onerous paper work that she had been assigned and was complaining when the other clerk got off the phone that she couldn't find what she'd been told to look for.

Avoid at all cost.

• Stayed: April 2005
10  Thank A TripAdvisor Member

I completely agree with this review. 100%. You would think that a rebuttal would rebuke what was said about their hotel, hoewever, I agree with this review whole heartedly. This is one letter that was taken to heart, and we have taken extreme actions to correct these issues.

1. We have a complete new staff and management turnover since this stay. The idea of argueing in a public place today would result in extreme ramifications for any of my staff. I can guarentee you, if the hotel is not kept in pristine condition, we will correct it, period, no matter what the cost to do so.

2. Environment - we have increased our breakfast area, our selection, AND have implemented a recycling program to include the styrofoam and plastics. We have also in converted ALL rooms into Non-Smoking, and being completely smoke free, which will eliminate the odors that you would have experienced at the time.

Finally... should there be ANY concerns with the front desk staff towards ANY guest, I can also guarentee that there will be a different front desk staff there to replace.

We have changed in ever regard to our hotel. Staff, Service, environment, We have waste reduction of over 35%, and increased our recycle program 10 fold. We have eliminated smoking in our building. We have also added a cleaner, larger area for our breakfast (up to 150 people). We are NOT the same hotel as when you have stayed. I sincerly hope that you do try us again.

Sean McLean

Reviewed April 26, 2005

I stayed at this hotel in March of 2005, for a weekend sports tournament in Kingston.

Everything was OK about the hotel, nothing spectacular, but nothing bad either, until my $120 hair straightener was taken!!!

I know for sure that I left it on the windowsill to cool down before I packed it in my bag the morning we were leaving, and that part was my fault. However when I called back a little while later to get it back, the staff were extremely unhelpful. They kept asking that I call back during office hours, and when I did, they said they couldn't find it in the lost and found, even though no one had stayed in the room after we left. I then asked them to look into asking the maid who cleaned the room if she knew of its where-abouts. I was continuously asked to call back, and after about 8-10 phone calls, they were absolutely NO help. Not only did they not check with the maids, they were rude and completely inconsiderate at the same time. They don't know anything about customer service! They basically did not want to admit that their staff are untrustworthy, and for that I am out of $120.

I will most definitely NOT be going back to the Peachtree Inn, and would seriously advise others not to as well!!!

• Stayed: March 2005
6  Thank zafreena
ThriftlodgeManager, Front Office Manager at Thriftlodge Kingston, responded to this reviewResponded January 13, 2017

Thank you for your review. I am sorry this was not the best experience, you had hoped for. We are looking into this matter to improve and make sure these issues get fixed. As of February 2016 we are now known as the Thriftlodge Kingston. We are currently under renovations. We have many updated guest rooms and are actively making improvements to the exterior, meeting areas, halls and accommodations. I do encourage you to book with us again, so we can change your impression of us.

Port Hope, ON
Reviewed December 3, 2004

I've stayed many times at the Peachtree Hotel, both when it was a Holiday Inn Express, and when it hasn't been. The hotel is located on top of a strip plaza which is unique and something I have yet to see anywhere else.

Rooms are clean, good size and the value is amazing. Staff are friendly, and there is plenty of food options within walking distance which is great! Especialyl considering its uptown location.

Continental breakfast is modest, but good when you're in a rush!

5  Thank A TripAdvisor Member

Ottawa
Reviewed August 15, 2004

Have stayed here on a few occasions and am always satisfied. This hotel offers clean, comfortable accomodations with a great continental breakfast. No on-site pool. Would recommend.

9  Thank A TripAdvisor Member