“very average hotel...” 3 of 5 stars

Ranked #27 of 37 Hotels in Kingston
Virginia Beach, Virginia
“very average hotel...”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed July 15, 2014

I wish I could recommend this hotel but cant. The first three rooms we checked out had beds so squeaky that we could never had gotten any sleep. The manager was very helpful and we finally found a room that was alright. The rooms are large but the furniture has seen better days. The location is not great. Hallways are hot and dark. If you stay here ask for room facing the back. As far as value goes...again just average. We didn't eat breakfast here instead went to the iconic Morrison's Café downtown!

• Stayed July 2014, traveled with family
    • 3 of 5 stars

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (30)
TORONTO
3 of 5 stars Reviewed July 9, 2014

I took a trip to Kingston from Toronto just to get a quick break from the traffic and the concrete jungle that is Toronto, even though it is the cultural capital of Canada.!

I went online and booked the train ride Via Rail, and the hotel in Kingston on the same day that I traveled.

I have been several times to Niagara Falls and even though it is always a delightful trip especially just watching one of the wonders of the world!

Anyways I reached Kingston and took a cab the hotel. Only $10 which was a good start.

Unfortunately In the rush of things I booked for the hotel with a check in one day late and a checkout one day late. I realized this too late. I figured that if they had the room they would just adjust the days since they got the funds for the same number of days.

The receptionist was very congenial and friendly but (because of company policy?) I had to pay for the first day up front and then call hotels.com as soon as I checked in. It took a while but the booking agent was helpful and this was done.

I thought the hotel was centrally located so it was ok.

There are quaint pubs and a steak house nearby.

I brought my swimming kit hoping that I would go for a swim as this was what the blurb showed.

When I asked about this I was told that there was no pool and that the management group that manages a few hotels advertised this!)

The staff were very helpful and congenial. The breakfast was great, especially the large fruit salad bowl. They served free coffee all day.
The housekeeping staff were also helpful.

Room Tip: try for a lower floor room to possibly get better wi fi signalling
  • Stayed June 2014, traveled solo
1 Thank SADICKOFTORONTO
Toronto
2 of 5 stars Reviewed July 6, 2014

The stay was not horrible. The hotel rooms were average as well as the one elevator and the sounds between rooms really carried. The rooms were freezing cold when we first entered and always has an odd odour. The beds were quite old for the price. It was really disappointing mostly because of the staff. Not quite sure if the service was slow because it was busy, or they just didn't feel the need to solve problems quickly. It was around 10 that we called the front desk to request an extra pillow where they said they would check. It wasn't until around 11:30 that they called back and said they had none extra. Particularly the front desk, the staff was not the most pleasant. I don't think any of them ever smiled once. The lemon water at the front desk when you arrive was warm water with lemons, that definitely ruined the first impressions of the hotel. They weren't very welcoming when we arrived and were much more rude when we checked out. It almost felt like they didn't even care whether or not we had a nice stay. The prices were really high for the quality and honestly not worth. But I guess if your desperate for a hotel, you can deal with it. If your looking for an nice getaway don't stay here.

• Stayed July 2014
    • 1 of 5 stars
3 Thank Strawberrybush
Stratford, Canada
4 of 5 stars Reviewed July 6, 2014

This was our 1st time to Kingston & decided to book online & although I didn't check other hotels for prices the Peachtree was very affordable & then I noticed the hotel was above stores in a "strip mall" but I always say you cant judge a book by it's cover.
When we checked in we asked about the discount for CAA the clerk told us because it was a busy wknd they weren't giving discounts even though there was a sign saying the hotel is CAA affiliated
we told him just because the hotel was busy you should still give the discounts and with that said he says "let me see what I can do"..............and LO & BEHOLD we got our discount :)
Anyway we were very impressed with our room which had a jacuzzi it was very big & spacious with kitchen furniture was comfortable the bed was comfy...............overall very impressed with the room........we would stay there again that's for sure
Was very impressed with Kingston being our 1st time visiting will visit again hopefully.

Oh and we drove all the way from Stratford

• Stayed July 2014, traveled as a couple
2 Thank mark w
Aurora, Canada
3 of 5 stars Reviewed June 17, 2014 via mobile

Booking online in advance will get you 15% off. Reliable clean room and decent breakfast. Parking is free. Close to downtown. Always a good place to stay if dropping off or visiting kids in university.

Stayed June 2014, traveled with family
Dunham, Quebec
3 of 5 stars Reviewed May 14, 2014

We were visiting friends and all else was booked near their home. This looked good on the web site and was 20 % less expensive than an excellent hotel in which we stayed 10 years ago. However, you get what you pay for. It was relatively clean if you didn't look too close in the corners. Extra blankets were not provided. You couldn't open a window and the fan/air conditioner was very noisy. The continental breakfast provided was very rudimentary and high in carbs. The staff was friendly and helpful. In summary, it was reasonable "value for money", but satisfaction depends on your standards.

• Stayed May 2014, traveled with family
2 Thank Kentana
Ottawa, Canada
3 of 5 stars Reviewed April 12, 2014

After such a miserable winter my partner and I decided to take a mini break and picked Kingston/Peachtree Inn. As a treat we chose what should have been the best room at the Inn. The room itself is large and has potential with the kitchen, Jacuzzi and full bathroom. It all stops there though, the kitchen had 1 spoon, 2 forks, 5 knives, a large and medium size plate and several bowls one of which is dirty. The salt and pepper shakers are near empty and the outsides are filthy. No Kleenex for a runny nose and the newspaper they mention is never appeared. Nice touch like candle holders on the wall at the Jacuzzi but sadly no candles. As mentioned it has potential and sadly if we had not had plans tonight with friends we would have gone home and not spent on the 2nd night. I do hope the owner/property manager reads this, for the amount of money for the 2 nights, please take the same value to Ikea or some other housewares place and update the items in the kitchen, ask your paper supplier to include Kleenex with your future orders, and as well the maid staff should be made aware that gossiping in the halls instead of cleaning the rooms should be frowned upon, we got back to the room at lunchtime today, she had managed to remove the towels before we entered and was too excited that we said don't worry about doing our room now. I did have to chase down fresh towels and more coffee on my own. Oh and the tub mats are dirty.

• Stayed April 2014, traveled as a couple
1 Thank 409Margaret
ManagerFrontOffice, General Manager at Thriftlodge Kingston, responded to this review, April 21, 2014
I am truly sorry that you didn't enjoy your stay with us. We strive to make sure every customer is happy with their accommodations. I was on duty the night that you checked in and would have personally cleaned the items in question to your satisfaction.

We encourage our guests to tell us of any problems as soon as they occur in order for us to rectify the situation. We are unable to do this if guests do not let us know there is an issue and stay a couple of days and then check out with a list of complaints.

All of our guests are very important to us and again we encourage anyone who is not satisfied with any aspect of their stay to bring it to the attention of the front desk immediately.