“Can't beat the value”
Review of Seven Oakes Motel

Seven Oakes Motel
Ranked #30 of 37 Hotels in Kingston
Reviewed August 5, 2014

I love Seven Oakes in Kingston, Ontario. I’ve stayed there three times in the past month, because this beautiful city is a great stopping-off point between my home in Michigan and family-related activities in Vermont. I’ve tried other places, but Seven Oakes is my personal favorite, for a number of reasons:
1. It’s a blast from the past. Independently owned places like Seven Oakes are becoming few and far between. I love being able to drive up to my door and unload my car; I sleep better knowing my car is just a few yards away.
2. I like the other people who are staying here. Last week there was a young family with charming children on one side of us, and a young couple who bravely used the swimming pool (in 60-degree temperatures) on the other. Two doors down an extended French Canadian family sat on the sidewalk outside their rooms, quietly talking and laughing, quite cordial. When we returned from dinner at 8:30 pm, they had all gone inside. The guests I have encountered here seem to be happy, respectful of others, and considerate.
3. It’s quiet. There’s no elevator noise, none of the slamming of doors and locks that you’d get in a high-rise hotel on the harbor. At Seven Oakes, I’ve never had my sleep disturbed by loud and/or inebriated guests just outside my door. The property is on a major highway (Princess Street) but the traffic noise is minimal.
4. It’s clean. The proprietors care very much about their property and they want each guest to have a good experience here. The furnishings and fittings aren’t fancy, but they’re immaculate.
5. Great WiFi! After a long day of driving, I need it! And so do my kids. And at Seven Oakes, it’s easily accessible, very dependable, and quite speedy.
6. It gives me the things I need. Like WiFi, a fridge, a few good cable channels, cleanliness, just the right number of 100% cotton towels, free parking, a decent shower, the security of several locks on the door, peace and quiet, and a friendly staff. I don’t need a clock radio (I have a cell phone), tiny toiletries (I bring the ones that work for me), or printed materials promoting local pizza companies.
7. The owners are awesome. Stay once, come again, they’ll remember you. They sincerely want you to be happy here, and they work very hard to meet your expectations. They have been especially kind to my 80-something-young mother, who has stayed here twice. My mom, in turn, loves them right back.
8. You can’t beat the price. I have researched other accommodations in Kingston, and even stayed at a few, but Seven Oakes offers the best value.
9. Convenient location, part 1. There are pubs, restaurants and fast food nearby. Better still: there’s a FreshCo grocery store right next door. Tired of restaurants and rich food, we went there and bought Fresh Attitude Salads for our dinner, and then congratulated ourselves on having made a healthy and delicious choice. Two salads plus crusty baguette = $9. There’s a Tim Horton’s within easy walking distance for morning cravings.
10. Convenient location, part 2. Take the Sydenham exit off the 401. Turn right at Princess Street. Turn left into Seven Oakes at the top of the hill. Easy.

Room Tip: I have stayed in at least four rooms here, and they were all good!
  • Stayed: July 2014, traveled with family
1  Thank plucky1
There are newer reviews for Seven Oakes Motel

Reviewed August 3, 2014

We stayed here on a whim, booked last minute over the phone without any difficulty. The stay was really pleasant. From the check-in at the front desk service, the cleanliness and comfort of the room, the well managed grounds-keeping and bonus outdoor swimming pool, all amounted to an overall positive and rich experience. This is no ordinary motel. Its family owned and operated, and coming here felt like coming home. Thank you! Dean, Ottawa

Room Tip: Book over the phone, online or take ca chance and just show up, you won't regret it.
  • Stayed: July 2014, traveled with family
1  Thank Dean S
Reviewed July 29, 2014 via mobile

To add to my team mates review....
I was in bed before 12 on the Saturday night, the night the motel manager was harassing us. Most of my team were still up drinking in front of the middle room (we had 3 between all of us). I was on the end and had my door just shut too couldn't close all the way or it would lock my team mates out. Anyways, I could barely hear them or the music. The only time I heard them was when the manager came around. She tried coming into my room where there were myself and two others sleeping. She also called our room a half a dozen times till we just took the phone off the hook. They wouldn't even give us new rolls of toilet paper we got used rolls lol. Unless your going to this motel for sleeping and only sleeping DONT GO. The manager is rude and can't even speak English properly.

Stayed: July 2014
5  Thank RobertsM911
Reviewed July 28, 2014

Our soccer team (recreational women's) plays in a tournament every year in Kingston, last year the hotel we stay at burnt down so this was our next choice. From the moment we arrived at hotel we felt like we were being stalked by the owner and her husband. She was constantly calling our room, she had her husband following us around, telling us "to keep quiet, hotel for sleeping not talking". She wanted full money upfront for
stay and wanted us to pay additional fee on top of damage fee because she said we will break things and not pay for them. Their English is extremely poor making it hard for customers to understand them, the reception always stinks of full fledge fish you can't even breathe, the rooms stink of rot, everything is outdated to 1960, a/c did not work or fridge, bathroom door would not close, mattress was broken on bed wih springs digging in your back. One things good about hotel was parking and that's it. Horrible place, we will never stay here again and will encourage others to save there money and sanity by going somewhere else this place is a dump. Ps she have us used toilet paper rolls instead of new ones and dirty towels were in our room upon arrival.
Disgusting place.

• Stayed: July 2014
2  Thank a_reisen
7OakesMotel, Manager at Seven Oakes Motel, responded to this reviewResponded July 28, 2014

We are sorry about your unpleasant stay. Please understand that your group caused a lot of trouble for other guests. Every time the manager called or visited your room, there was a guest complaint about the noise. We were not stalking your room. There was an overwhelming number of complaints. Your team played music non-stop well past 3am, disturbing many other guests. After checking out, your team left bags of garbage and litter which we had to clean. We were considering calling the police to have you leave ... however because Kingston was so busy you would have no place to stay. We treat every guest with respect, but we expect the guest to treat us the same.

Sorry again for your unpleasant stay, but our actions were unavoidable. I personally had to clean the mess left by your group, which took an extra 2 hours.

Lloyd

Seven Oakes Motel Manager

Reviewed July 23, 2014

Booked it online based on reviews but a lot must have changed lately. Reception does not understand English very well. Wife wanted to use the pool but it had bugs floating on the water and more bugs on the bottom while 3 sea gulls were swimming in the pool enjoying snacks of dead bugs. See quickly changed her mind. We stayed in room # 53, which is not part of the actual motel but seems to be part of the original house, facing a very busy street next to a shopping plaza. When I asked the next moring while checking out as to why we did not get a 'regular' motel room, their answer was: motel fully booked for hockey tournament, many children, too noisy for you. Okay, now we get it and Thank You for that ! However, Seven Oaks Motel has seen better days

Reviewed July 21, 2014

While the owners did go out of their way to find me an ice bucket (No ice buckets? Really?!), the room itself was disgustingly unclean. We were afraid to walk on the carpet barefoot! We also had some creepy crawlies at one point so we made sure there was nothing on the floor.

Not worth the price and I certainly won't be back.

Room Tip: There are no good rooms. Ick!
1  Thank Constant_Loop
7OakesMotel, Manager at Seven Oakes Motel, responded to this reviewResponded July 22, 2014

Hi,

Thank you very much with your stay at Seven Oakes. You stayed on a Saturday in July, which are very busy days. The price was little higher than regular day. We are sorry about that.

On Saturday afternoon, after you check in 5 minutes, you came down to our front desk and asked about a bucket to keep your ice, which we were very happy to find. We have fridge in every room. Bucket for keep the ice , if you need just ask. Not all the time have bucket in the room. Your room drinking to much and spill beer in the carpet, our carpet is new one, we don't have anything in carpet. we hope you understand. A motel is just for sleep, not drinking to much in the room. A few drinks is fine, but to much drinking is a trouble for other guests.

Sorry about your experience

We hope you understand.

Reviewed July 19, 2014

Terrible odour in the rooms...made us sick to our stomach. We only stayed in room 2 mins. We went back to front desk to cancel room and could only get 50% back . Most other hotel/motel, you have till 6pm to cancel but there you need 24 h notice? We were there at approx. 3pm. While we still question this, we took our losses ...20 mins. after we still felt that terrible stench.
Worst place we ever booked in!

Room Tip: Don't be fooled by pictures on the internet.
3  Thank MDP123_11