“Fantastic place to stay in Kingston!” 5 of 5 bubbles
Review of Seven Oakes Motel

Seven Oakes Motel
Ranked #26 of 37 Hotels in Kingston
Canada
“Fantastic place to stay in Kingston!”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed February 8, 2014

We had a really great stay here on our way to Ottawa. The room was spacious and clean, and the lady that checked us in and out was very friendly. She even lent us a basketball so we could play on their basketball court. Pool looked nice -- we didn't have a chance to use it. Room was quiet at night too! We would highly recommend staying here!! Very good value for money.

• Stayed August 2013, traveled as a couple
2 Thank dogbone1002000

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (42)
Kingston, Canada
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed January 9, 2014

The motel is closed to bus stop and well placed on princess street. We spent 4 nights at the Seven Oakes and the room was very clean. The staff was very friendly, as newcomers, when we needed something, they have always been here to help us.
A motel to recommand!

• Stayed December 2013, traveled on business
3 Thank Christophe D
Belleville, Canada
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed November 4, 2013

What the room lacked, the customer service made up for it.
For as long as we were in the room collectively, it was ideal and cost efficient.
The room could handle a little updating. Thermostat was scary, but it worked. Windows and doors looked to be from the 70's and can't be very energy efficient for them, but I don't pay the bills so who cares. I was a bit concerned the window closest to the bathroom did not lock. What appeared to be a brand new tub surround isn't going to last very long. While using the shower I noticed the tub had a bit of a decline while stepping into the stream of water. Great pressure, but the floor must be rotting underneath as it was very spongy. The light fixture above the toilet was missing the cover but the cobwebs surrounding the bulb was a great alternative. If you love your coffee first thing in the morning, please be advised you must bring your own coffee maker, coffee and condiments. Otherwise, Tim Hortons is five minutes down the street. No microwave, but a great little bar fridge. Make sure your cell phones are well charged during the night and set your alarm if you have to get up the next morning, there wasn't a clock in the room. Walls are thin. Go about your business quietly if you have to. Our neighbour was very active during the evenings.
The lady and gentleman at the office are so sweet and super accommodating. Please treat them well. We will only go back because of their customer service and their attention to our needs and genuine concern about our stay. They are happy, friendly people providing a service and working their butts off. It is apparent they do take pride in their ownership. The room overall is very, very clean. There were just a couple of things that made us giggle. If you want the Taj Mahal, go stay somewhere else. Here you get what you pay for.

• Stayed November 2013, traveled on business
    • 2 of 5 bubbles
3 Thank hdonov1
Ottawa, Canada
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed October 14, 2013

"Never judge a book by its cover." I admit at first i was skeptic when booking this place but i gave it a go. For the review (ignore negative reviews) and try a family run. We arrived and the lady is very nice, things went smoothly. We get to the room. It was not much soundproof room but we slept anyways. The room is good for the price, its away from downtown but near shopping malls and grocery store. If you like decor at the hilton and prefer decor of that standard to choosing a room. You missed out. Even with okay decor, what matter that is you having a goodnight sleep. The bed is comfy and room is very clean. It may not look like high class hotel, i been one and been dissapointed. This motel beats it by a large margin for clean and comfort. I spent $300 per night at a resort and i wish the room were more decent as the one from seven oakes, kingston!!! For good price for comfort, cleanliness and fast wifi. Stay here.

• Stayed October 2013, traveled as a couple
2 Thank ThaiCDN2014
Hamilton, Canada
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed October 7, 2013

I stayed one night at Seven Oakes Motel since I had a job interview in Kingston the following morning. I'm not a fussy traveller and I normally look for affordability, comfort, security, and cleanliness in hotels/motels.

Pros:
- Friendly service. Although the lady at the front counter was somewhat difficult to understand, she and her husband were very friendly. When I notified them that the wifi was not working in my room, they provided me with an ethernet cable which solved the problem.
- Spacious room. The room I stayed in was fairly large. It had a very comfortable, king-sized bed; a leather couch; a couple of coffee tables; a 32" flat screen TV on a TV stand; a dresser; a bedside table; and a mini-fridge. It also had a "kitchen" sink. It had a private bathroom, which was a bit small, but I had no problem moving around in it.
- High speed internet. I only used it for internet browsing, so it was fast enough for my needs.
- Location. I didn't explore Kingston since I wasn't there for sight-seeing. However, restaurants and other businesses are a short drive away. There is a Freshco supermarket next door that is open till 10pm on weekdays.
- Parking. Plenty of free parking available.

Cons:
- Old. The motel has clearly been around for a while and appears to simply have been maintained and not improved. There are signs of wear everywhere you look, from the slightly visible stains in the carpet to the rusting metallic surfaces anywhere you see metal. The window in the bathroom would not stay up, since the plastic pieces that keep it in place were broken.
My room also appeared to be connected to the room next door at some point in its existence. Instead of walling up the doorway though, they left the door, mounted a wall clothes hanger rack and removed the door handle from the other side. I could open the door, but on the other side would be the other unit's door without a door handle for me to open it with. I think as an extra security feature, they had the couch in my room half blocking the door/clothes rack. Somewhat creepy.
- Superficially clean. Although at first sight it appeared to be clean, after noticing the condition of the room in general, I decided to look closer and I began to see some problems. Although I never used the air conditioner because it was chilly that day, I noticed the vent had a very thick layer of dust on it and some spider webs.
The towels and linens were white so thankfully you could see that those were clean, but when I looked at the actual pillows they had yellow stains (which I understand are from sweat). I don't know if they are not washing the pillows or are not using a proper cleaning technique to remove the stains, but needless to say I did not put my head on those pillows. The bedsheets were covered by a fuzzy, green blanket which had clearly seen a lot of use since small holes were starting to show. I decided to sleep on top of the comforter, which looked clean on the outside.
Since the room got a little chilly, I turned up the thermostat. After a while, I smelled something burning. At first I thought it was someone cooking something, but my windows were closed. That's when I realized that the heater was burning dust or whatever was inside it.

No comment:
- Amenities. There were several amenities I did not make use of so I can't comment. I'm sure for a lot of people this would add value to their stay. The pool was closed since it was out of season. There were were two basketball nets and a fenced in tennis court. I don't watch TV, so I never used it. I don't know what quality the picture is or how many channels it catches. But just so you know, all these things are available.

Although, this was the cheapest of the higher rated hotels/motels in Kingston on this site, I would most likely stay elsewhere if I were to ever spend a night or two in Kingston again.

• Stayed October 2013, traveled solo
1 Thank darkERA
Toronto, Canada
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed September 29, 2013

We went there with my wife and my four year old daughter. I booked over phone and the room was ready when we reached late on Friday. I was welcomed with a smile. The room was clean, though can be better if is properly maintained, but at this price, this is excellent value for money. Next morning, the owner gave a coupon and made a phone call (can you believe) to get me a discount in 1000 island cruise. I really liked staying there, will do again if I again come to Kingston.....

• Stayed September 2013, traveled with family
3 Thank SabbirC
Amherstburg, Canada
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed September 21, 2013

very clean, very comfortable, fresh smelling, good size room comfortable chair and couch. was late in season so pool was closed but looked nice. very friendly owners. overall stay was very good would recommend to anyone staying in that area.

Room Tip: have only stayed there once but the king size bed was very comfortable, i liked the old style one le...