“Average”

Dining options: Delivery, Reservations
Dining options: Delivery, Reservations
“Average”
Reviewed March 27, 2014

It's hard to be negative when the staff and owners care as much as they do here, so, I'll be nice. On entrance there was a strong smell of cleaning products, not exotic spices I expected.

The food is a fair introduction to Indian cuisine if you are a novice but it's best not to compare this restaurant to similar ones in Toronto, Winnipeg or Vancouver. We only tried 4 menu items so I won't imply that all choices are the same standard. The naan bread was good, no complaints at all. The biryani was relatively brand, not much spicing and the vegetables were much too soft from being cooked too long, likely from sitting after being cooked before the dinner hour.
Chicken Jalfrezi was good and the flavours well balanced. Shrimp Phatia was so overly sweet we could not eat it, almost no flavour beyond the sugar unfortunately. It is listed as "sweet and sour" but we only tasted sweet. Perhaps this is because it has been developed to please a palate crested on processed food extremes.
I was definitely given the impression we were welcome at this place but it doesn't have the food to bring me back, unfortunately.

• Visited March 2014

Kingston
“AMAZING!! great food”
Reviewed December 21, 2013

I went to Sabers after it took over from curry village. I must say I am very very pleased with the food. I ordered from them many times, and every time is great. The cook comes and greets you, an makes you feel at home, very friendly environment. I will keep coming back. (The server is very cute aswell). Great service an food all around.

• Visited December 2013
2 Thank Nick7Manutd
Montreal, Canada
“Gluten free friendly western influenced Indian food”
Reviewed September 24, 2013

This is a very gluten free friendly restaurant - they even had gluten free beer that tasted OK. There were only 2 items on the menu that had gluten in them, and one was naan bread! I thoroughly enjoyed my meal of spinach and lamb and Kashmiri chicken. Both dishes were very different and full of flavour, but NOT full of heat. The spinach was smokey and rich, the Kashmiri chicken was sweet with coconut. Purist Indian foodies would not like this, but we did, and I am sure the chef would make the dishes spicier if asked. The chef was very friendly and likes to talk. This restaurant is both BYOB and has a wine list with reasonable prices.

• Visited September 2013
Kingston, Canada
“Yummy dinner, charming service.”
Reviewed September 1, 2013

My husband and I went to Saber's for our wedding anniversary, and thoroughly enjoyed our meal and the experience. Although this is the only Indian restaurant we've ever tried, so I'm no expert, it was the yummiest dinner we've had out a long time.

When we arrived we were seated by a very friendly waiter in a nice table. It's a strip mall, so the space has only one window, but there is large art all over the walls, and it's interesting to look at.

We ordered onion bhaji, butter chicken, yellow rice, vegetable curry, and naan bread. It was all hot and fresh when it was brought to the table, and everything had lovely flavour. We ordered what we thought was reasonable for two people, but even still had food left over. All that for $40.

At the end of the meal, the chef (Saber) always comes from the kitchen to ask which of the dishes you liked, and if you have time, he will even show you his tandoori oven where he cooks the naan bread (and I assume the tandoori if you order it!), and he'll answer your questions about the food.

All in all, this is a relaxing place to have a medium-priced dinner in the west end without heading downtown.

We don't generally drink alcohol, but I notice they do have a sign that says to bring your own wine, and there is no corkage fee.

• Visited August 2013
Kingston, Canada
“If its not on Menu,they will charge insane money”
Reviewed August 23, 2013

2 of us went to discover the interiors of this restaurant full of spider webs.We ordered food.Instead of naans we ordered rotis that were not listed on menu.Waiter told us that each roti is 75 cents and they were heated tortilas.While eating those we were told by chef who came from kitchen that they were bought frozen from costco.Then the bill came.We were charged $2.75 for each frozen tortilla i.e $19.75 for 7 tortilas.When we talked to waiter he simply denied that he had told roti was 75 cents each.I have never ever seen rotis being sold for such an insane price.I had been to Europe as well as US but roti is never so expensive. These guys got a chance to charge whatever money they desired as price was not specified on Menu.So they sold rotis for same price as naans.May be they dont have much sense about Indian food and their waiter like to argue more than to serve the guests

• Visited August 2013