“Fresh ingredients; friendly staff”

Saber's Taste of India
Ranked #11 of 428 Restaurants in Kingston
Cuisines: Indian
Dining options: Delivery, Reservations
Dining options: Delivery, Reservations
Picton, Canada
“Fresh ingredients; friendly staff”
Reviewed October 18, 2012

I'm always looking for good Indian food. Saber's is a cozy restaurant in a strip mall. It gets busy very quickly, which is a good indication that it's good. The staff is very friendly and wants to make sure you are having the best possible experience. They bring papadum to the table when you are seated. We ordered tandoori chicken, naan, tarka daal, paneer jalfrezi and mango lassis. The lassis are great. The food does take about half an hour to prepare, which is fine when you are getting fresh meals. The plates are generous and nicely presented. The tandoori chicken plate was huge with about half a chicken, basmati rice, salad and yogurt. The naan, however, did not taste like naan from a tandoor. It just tasted like fluffy pizza dough. I can't say the tarka daal was great. It was ground lentils and it tasted kind of like split pea soup. The paneer jalfrezi was very good, but not enough heat for my taste. I didn't need to order yogurt or drink water to help with the spice. Lots of options on the menu, so I'd like to try something different next time.

• Visited October 2012

Oshawa, Canada
“Great Indian food.”
Reviewed September 29, 2012

This place is always great, it has a full Indian menu, and all the choices taste great, the service is fast and friendly. The Resturant is clean and clean. They do lots of take out service. You have got to try this place, the prices are also very reasonable.

• Visited September 2012
Kingston, Canada
“Second time and great again.”
Reviewed September 17, 2012

This our was our second time at the restaurant and both occasions were great. This meal started with Papadum then Samosas which made fresh and very yummy. Our main dishes were Eggplant Bhaji and Chicken Biryani. They were all delicious and not too spicy as I'm not into spicy so much. Joe our waiter is always friendly and Saber loved to chat when he gets a break from the kitchen. The fact you can bring your own wine and not be charged a corkage fee is just a bonus. We'll be back.

• Visited August 2012
2 Thank Fairbankk
Ottawa, Canada
“Better of other Indian restaurants in Kingston”
Reviewed September 4, 2012 via mobile

The food was ok, I just don't understand adding sugar to the currys. Proper Indian restaurants would never add that ingredient to anything other thn a dessert. The Kashmiri Chicken was so sweet I couldn't eat it. The naan was more like roti, it did not taste like it came out of a tandoor. The beef boonda was the better tasting. We got take out, and for th price we paid for each dish the containers were half full. Might still try some of the ther dishes If i get the craving and tell them not to add sugar. By the way I'm east Indian from Toronto and I know my Indian food.

1 Thank TorontoFreqFlyer
common_n_restaurant_reviews_1bd8 1 helpful vote
“Fantastic”
Reviewed August 17, 2012

Ragan Josh and Saag chicken to die for...great food...love this place!
Saber is a super nice person, who took the time to come out and talk to us to ensure we had a great meal!

1 Thank GaryPitcher