New! Find and book your ideal hotel on TripAdvisor — and get the lowest prices

Review of General Wolfe Hotel

General Wolfe Hotel
Ranked #34 of 37 Hotels in Kingston
Lindsay, Canada
“Wanted to like it, but...”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed May 24, 2012

The trip to Wolfe Island on the ferry is always lovely, and the island itself is worth a visit. But our stay here was less than ideal. If you know what you're getting into--a basic motel--then no problem. The "decor" is bland, there was a faint musty smell, the doors had to be pushed hard, possibly because they weren't adjusted when carpet was laid. Portions in the restaurant were small (seriously...who serves one scoop of mashed potatoes?). That said, the service was friendly, the rooms were clean and the windows actually opened.

• Stayed May 2012, traveled with family
    • 3 of 5 stars

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (9)
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 22, 2012

Just got the Trip Advisor app and my wife and I are reminiscing about our romantic weekend we had last Fall at The General Wolfe Hotel. We took the ferry over and were immediately greeted by the friendly staff. The first night we checked in we headed straight to the restaurant. The food was excellent and the dining experience was very romantic. I highly recommend this hotel for a wonderful weekend getaway. We can't wait to return.

• Stayed September 2011
5 Thank Giacaroo
Niagara-on-the-Lake, Canada
4 of 5 stars Reviewed January 19, 2012

I read most of the reviews. I guess we all have our own experience. I just wanted to cross the frozen river with the ferry, stay there for a night, but the hotel is closed for the winter, and the river wasn't frozen over yet... However, when I was there late September when the leaves were truning I had ok time. Can't expect too much from a small town hotel. Food was a good value, wine selection is good too. If you like kayaking, or biking it is really a great place to be at. You can cross over to the NY side with a toll ferry and do some more sightseeing. If you had enough of a busy city you can sure read your books here and have some wine. I know it could be livelier, but it sure is not dirty.
Jimmy Sutton

Room Tip: Just call ahead and make sure you don't end up in one of the back rooms.
  • Stayed September 2011, traveled solo
1 Thank Jimmy66_12
Toronto, Canada
1 of 5 stars Reviewed October 24, 2011

I made a reservation over the phone a couple of weeks before. When we arrived shortly after 9:30pm, everything was closed up. So, I called from outside and the man who answered denied that I had a reservation and hung up on me. He called me back a few minutes later, while I was on the other line trying to find somewhere else to stay, and he left a message in a rude, accusatory tone, saying he didn't see me outside. We didn't want to stay there considering his tone, so took the ferry back to Kingston (it was too late in the evening to find other accomodation on the island for that night).

• Stayed October 2011, traveled as a couple
10 Thank Free345

Travelers are raving about these Kingston hotels

Syracuse, New York
1 of 5 stars Reviewed August 21, 2011

This hotel / restaurant has a ton of potential, but not with the current owner and staff. From the minute we got into the place we received a negative attitude. It was noon and we asked if they still served breakfast, the female behind the bar (where you check in) said very rudely, “The only place to get breakfast at this time is Dennys". Meanwhile, there are only 1300 people who live on this island full time and only a few shops/stores/eateries etc... I’m sure she fully knew one of the only 5 establishments in town served breakfast until 1:30 that was right across the street.

Moving on, I reserved a Jacuzzi room with river view, room 4 to be exact, and well to my surprise, the "Jacuzzi" was no bigger than my bathtub at home with a few jets on the sides. Going out of town, I try and get Jacuzzi rooms so my significant other can heal is back issues some, but being 6’3” he couldn’t even enjoy it, as again, it was the SAME SIZE as the standard bathtub. Not to mention, stains ALL over the entire carpets and the window view was from a 2-3 foot long window that was on the crease of a A frame roof.

The owner also switched rooms from a good room to a small room in the back with the main hotel air conditioner in the window (room 8) on the other couple we were with. Even though the hotel screwed up the rooms, they didn’t even offer ANYTHING for messing up, ok he did, he said next time we come he would buy breakfast, but were not going back there so it was a worthless offer.

Anyway, I know many of you will read these reviews, and maybe think “oh it’s not that bad”, but I promise it is! There are only like 8-9 rooms in this hotel, I would recommend staying at the Dreamcatcher B&B only a few doors down and is right in town that also has like 9 rooms. If you do decide to stay here though, make sure not to leave your valuables in the room, the place is super shady, who knows who make go in your room.

This is a great little island to visit, I really hope this crappy, shady, sleazy General Wolfe Inn doesn’t make people not come because there is nowhere to stay, there is another option and I will be back, however the B&B next time!!

P.S. When I get my pictures downloaded I will add a few that I took of the stains all over the carpet and bathtub.. Oh on a last note, I forgot to mention, we had to sit on the toilet at a 2 o'clock instead of at 12 because the sink vanity was large and right infront of the toilet blocking it. and many stairs with NO elevator also to get to rooms.

Room Tip: Room 4 was nasty but one of the better rooms, dont get room 8, has air conditioner for whole hotel i...
  • Stayed August 2011, traveled as a couple
7 Thank NaomiMc79
New York City, New York
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 30, 2011

Loved everything about it. The food was especially superior to anything else on the island.
The view was great and the room nice and quiet.

• Stayed July 2011, traveled with family
Oakville, Canada
1 of 5 stars Reviewed July 30, 2011

check in is at the bar, glad someone was there
room up high flight of stairs room 3 evidently one of the 'good rooms'
whole place in need of serious reno
dinner & breakfast were included
dinner was a disaster
wife had pheasant could not cut it with a knife
owner offered a 'sharper knife'
mine was blackened tuna ....dead for a long time had not seen any moisture
very dry
when we checked in asked about the menu was told it would be 'sole'
guess I got the bottom of the boot
anyway the meal was a disaster
would strongly not recommend this for an overnight stay nor meal
did not stay for breakfast they were not open had to catch a ferry at 8am for Cape Vincent

• Stayed July 2011, traveled as a couple