“Unreliable reservation, poor (rude) customer service”

General Wolfe Hotel
Ranked #29 of 37 Hotels in Kingston
Toronto, Canada
“Unreliable reservation, poor (rude) customer service”
Reviewed October 24, 2011

I made a reservation over the phone a couple of weeks before. When we arrived shortly after 9:30pm, everything was closed up. So, I called from outside and the man who answered denied that I had a reservation and hung up on me. He called me back a few minutes later, while I was on the other line trying to find somewhere else to stay, and he left a message in a rude, accusatory tone, saying he didn't see me outside. We didn't want to stay there considering his tone, so took the ferry back to Kingston (it was too late in the evening to find other accomodation on the island for that night).

• Stayed October 2011, traveled as a couple
10 Thank Free345

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (9)
Syracuse, New York
Reviewed August 21, 2011

This hotel / restaurant has a ton of potential, but not with the current owner and staff. From the minute we got into the place we received a negative attitude. It was noon and we asked if they still served breakfast, the female behind the bar (where you check in) said very rudely, “The only place to get breakfast at this time is Dennys". Meanwhile, there are only 1300 people who live on this island full time and only a few shops/stores/eateries etc... I’m sure she fully knew one of the only 5 establishments in town served breakfast until 1:30 that was right across the street.

Moving on, I reserved a Jacuzzi room with river view, room 4 to be exact, and well to my surprise, the "Jacuzzi" was no bigger than my bathtub at home with a few jets on the sides. Going out of town, I try and get Jacuzzi rooms so my significant other can heal is back issues some, but being 6’3” he couldn’t even enjoy it, as again, it was the SAME SIZE as the standard bathtub. Not to mention, stains ALL over the entire carpets and the window view was from a 2-3 foot long window that was on the crease of a A frame roof.

The owner also switched rooms from a good room to a small room in the back with the main hotel air conditioner in the window (room 8) on the other couple we were with. Even though the hotel screwed up the rooms, they didn’t even offer ANYTHING for messing up, ok he did, he said next time we come he would buy breakfast, but were not going back there so it was a worthless offer.

Anyway, I know many of you will read these reviews, and maybe think “oh it’s not that bad”, but I promise it is! There are only like 8-9 rooms in this hotel, I would recommend staying at the Dreamcatcher B&B only a few doors down and is right in town that also has like 9 rooms. If you do decide to stay here though, make sure not to leave your valuables in the room, the place is super shady, who knows who make go in your room.

This is a great little island to visit, I really hope this crappy, shady, sleazy General Wolfe Inn doesn’t make people not come because there is nowhere to stay, there is another option and I will be back, however the B&B next time!!

P.S. When I get my pictures downloaded I will add a few that I took of the stains all over the carpet and bathtub.. Oh on a last note, I forgot to mention, we had to sit on the toilet at a 2 o'clock instead of at 12 because the sink vanity was large and right infront of the toilet blocking it. and many stairs with NO elevator also to get to rooms.

Room Tip: Room 4 was nasty but one of the better rooms, dont get room 8, has air conditioner for whole hotel i...
  • Stayed August 2011, traveled as a couple
7 Thank NaomiMc79

Travelers are raving about these Kingston hotels

New York City, New York
Reviewed July 30, 2011

Loved everything about it. The food was especially superior to anything else on the island.
The view was great and the room nice and quiet.

• Stayed July 2011, traveled with family
Oakville, Canada
Reviewed July 30, 2011

check in is at the bar, glad someone was there
room up high flight of stairs room 3 evidently one of the 'good rooms'
whole place in need of serious reno
dinner & breakfast were included
dinner was a disaster
wife had pheasant could not cut it with a knife
owner offered a 'sharper knife'
mine was blackened tuna ....dead for a long time had not seen any moisture
very dry
when we checked in asked about the menu was told it would be 'sole'
guess I got the bottom of the boot
anyway the meal was a disaster
would strongly not recommend this for an overnight stay nor meal
did not stay for breakfast they were not open had to catch a ferry at 8am for Cape Vincent

• Stayed July 2011, traveled as a couple
2 Thank PeterGarbo
Reviewed July 14, 2011

This is just a great family run hotel in a great location in the Village of Wolfe Island. Everything was just perfect and we are looking forward to go back ASAP.

• Stayed July 2011, traveled as a couple
3 Thank JanaJanaJana
Reviewed July 14, 2011

Very upscale! In room,food, amenities and ambience, definitely not for the Cheapo KFC crowd. My wife and I stayed 2 nights and got the $200. per day package which included full poached eggs, bacon, sausage toast coffee and dinners that was the best we've had in Canada for years. Mahi-mahi one night and delicious steak the next.

Room Tip: Ask for rooom #s 2 or 3; great views of the St. Lawrence River and the Kingston night lights.
  • Stayed July 2011, traveled with family
1 Thank Jackson15509
Osgoode
Reviewed July 7, 2010

We booked the dinner package and were very impressed with the meal that was served. Everything was delicious. However, there were two big spiderwebs above our bed full of bugs and our toilet was filthy. We asked to have the webs removed and the toilet cleaned and were told it would be taken care of right away but it was never done. It is an older building, and our carpet was stained, but if the owners would have cleaned after we requested it, it would have been a decent place to stay. We were told at 9:20 PM on a Saturday night that we had to finish our drinks and leave the bar as the barmaid wanted to catch the 9:30 ferry back to Kingston. We then asked the owner which door we would be able to come in later as we were going to check out the Pelican Grill down the street. He wanted us to have a drink in the dining room instead and was rude when we declined. After checking out the Pelican and finding it empty, we decided to return to the General Wolfe for a drink after all. The total time we were gone was 5 minutes but when we returned the owner told us we were too late and could no longer have a drink in the dining room. He did however say we could buy one and take it to our room, we declined. Breakfast the next morning was just average and the service was horribly slow, especially since there were only 6 people in the restaurant at the time and we had let the waitress know that we were trying to catch the 9:00 AM ferry. The location is good, but we definitely won't be going back, especially after there was a hand-written gratuity of $20 added to our bill from the register that we weren't advised about beforehand.

• Stayed July 2010, traveled as a couple