“Happy Accident - So Glad We Dropped In! :)”

Sir John's Public House
Ranked #44 of 438 Restaurants in Kingston
Cuisines: Scottish
Dining options: Late Night, Breakfast, Reservations
Description: Sir John's is a cozy Scottish-Canadian Pub located in the building that was Sir John A. Macdonald's law office from 1849 to 1860. The pub takes you back in time with an affordable menu of home-cooked food inspired by Scotland but also featuring contemporary pub cuising. We make our own haggis and serve it as tasty fritters or as a topping on poutine. A good selection of imported and local beers with a healthy selection of Scotch Whiskies helps to wash everything down. In the evening the pub is a friendly meeting place where strangers and visitors are welcome. You might even see a few kilts. John A. himself has been known to stop by from time-to-time. A visit to Sir John's Public House is not just a fun experience but you will take away a bit of Canada's past when you part!
Reviewed July 16, 2014

During a (too) short afternoon trip to Kingston, we were in a hurry and chose the first pub we came across for a quick adult beverage before heading back to the U.S. So glad we accidentally found this place! Friendly faces behind the bar were super helpful and chatty. Extensive selection of beers on tap (8 or so) plus 3 (count 'em, 3!) different ciders on tap as well. Inviting, historic atmosphere and pub regular Rusty (we sat next to him at the bar and he suggested the tasty "Caesar" drink we had never tried before) made us feel welcome. Happy hour on this Tuesday was 4-6pm with $5 oversized brews plus free pretzels to snack on with a yummy mustard dipping sauce. Ended up staying for another round and an order of the cheese-n-gravy-licious poutine - although we skipped the available bacon or haggis options. Had to leave all too soon but will definitely return next time we are in Kingston to give their full menu a try. A large family group was seated in the dining area enjoying an early dinner and many customers were having a great time out on the patio as well. So glad we found this place! :)

1  Thank Wendy F

Reviewed July 11, 2014

Varied menu (we were there for lunch and chose off the $8 lunches list). Kids had grilled ham and cheese sandwiches (with a choice of chips, soup, or salad), I had a salmon salad sandwich with red onion, parsley, and brie cheese on a ciabatta roll and a salad. Husband had grilled salmon steak with salad. We also ordered coffee (surprisingly good!). Standout: appetizer of Thistle Fries, a Scottish/Canadian take on waffle fries topped with cheese, olives, red peppers, onion, and accompanied by two dipping sauces. Yum.

Reviewed July 6, 2014 via mobile

A friend and I were going to come here for brunch on a Sunday morning. As we approached the patio, what i assumed was the server and some guy where sitting there while she wrote on the sidewalk board. We asked if they were open as it was 10:20am and her response was "ummm we will be in 10 minutes or so, but umm I guess you can sit down if you want". The tone and disinterest in her voice told us to go elsewhere, so we did.
For a city with soo many restaurants its really hard to find one with outstanding service.

1  Thank Heidi C
SirJohnsPub, Owner at Sir John's Public House, responded to this reviewResponded July 8, 2014

Thanks so much for sharing your note. First, as the owner, let me tell you how much we value your business and believe that our customers are key to our success. I know exactly how you feel. I had a similar experience in a local restaurant and vowed it would never happen at Sir John's and am embarrassed that it did. I instruct our staff to treat all guests as though they were guests in our homes and to offer every element of hospitality that you would expect in your home. You should have been greeted and welcomed into the establishment and staff should have done whatever possible to make you feel at home. I am sorry that this did not happen; however this episode helps ensure that it will hot happen again with other guests. My sincerest apologies and I hope that you will try us again with better success. I do believe that our pub is the friendliest in Kingston although your experience would prove otherwise. If I may help further in any way please don't hesitate to contact me.

Paul Fortier
613-530-2550

Reviewed July 3, 2014 via mobile

From the wait staff to the drinks and food, a must visit in Kingston! Will definitely return on my next trip!

Reviewed July 3, 2014

I went to Sir John's for dinner during the recent Canada Day weekend in Kingston. The service was good, but my dining companion and I didn't find the haggis fritters that appetizing. This appetizer is supposedly a "customer favourite". The wings were a bit overcooked but the fries and the fish'n chips were good. It's noisy if you chose to eat outside. I'll give it another chance.