“What's Gem!?”

Sir John's Public House
Ranked #44 of 443 Restaurants in Kingston
Cuisines: Scottish
Dining options: Late Night, Breakfast, Reservations
Description: Sir John's is a cozy Scottish-Canadian Pub located in the building that was Sir John A. Macdonald's law office from 1849 to 1860. The pub takes you back in time with an affordable menu of home-cooked food inspired by Scotland but also featuring contemporary pub cuising. We make our own haggis and serve it as tasty fritters or as a topping on poutine. A good selection of imported and local beers with a healthy selection of Scotch Whiskies helps to wash everything down. In the evening the pub is a friendly meeting place where strangers and visitors are welcome. You might even see a few kilts. John A. himself has been known to stop by from time-to-time. A visit to Sir John's Public House is not just a fun experience but you will take away a bit of Canada's past when you part!
Reviewed June 29, 2014 via mobile

Seriously a great find! Stopped here for Sunday brunch. Wasn't expecting anything special but the food was excellent. The staff out did themselves. Table of 12 and everything came out at once and was HOT! We had 2 kids with us. They don't have a kids menu but we made it work. Would go back in a heartbeat and highly recommend to friends.

Reviewed June 18, 2014

Sir John's was selected as a place to celebrate my dad's 78th birthday and we were not disappointed. The service was wonderful, the atmosphere inviting and we really enjoyed our meal there. The food was great. The live music that started around 8:00 p.m. drove us out since my dad has a hearing problem and the rest of us (my mom, me, my daughter and her boyfriend) couldn't hear ourselves think and we were on the OTHER side of the room. Would definitely go back but at an earlier hour unless we were there to hear a specific performer and didn't want to chat and catch up!

Reviewed June 18, 2014

Fresh, delicious lunch at an awesome price! Waiter was very accommodating and fun!! If in the area again, we will be back!!!

Reviewed June 9, 2014

Our group of 4 men were strolling though Kingston in the rain on 6/5/14 and hungry.. As a random pick from the street we were walking down, Sir Johns Public House resulted in a very tasty lunch..... Following a Moose head primer, I had the LARGE Cesare Salad with perfectly done chicken finger pieces topping the very generous serving, while the buddies chowed on Chicken Pot Pies and grilled Ham and Cheese sammies.. Everyone raved about their lunches and the great service and helpful folks, and we even chatted with the main cook.
A RECOMMENDED STOP if you're in town !!!!

Reviewed June 7, 2014

It might just have been a bad day for the cook, but both my Welch Rarebit and my husband's Mac and Cheese were smothered in mustard. In fact, had I ordered a platter of mustard with a slice of bread and ham thrown in as as garnish, that's exactly what I was served! I did point this out to our waitress, who was quite charming, and I hope the comment was relayed to the kitchen. Mustard is a spice, not a main course! The pub is a fun, cozy place to hang out, but we will certainly not eat there again.

1  Thank Julia S
Fortman, Owner at Sir John's Public House, responded to this reviewResponded June 9, 2014

Julia. Thanks for your review of your visit to Sir John's Public House. I am sorry that you did not enjoy your Welch Rarebit or the Macaroni & Cheese. These are two of my favourites when I eat there. As you can see from most of the other reviews, the food is very well received and reviewed. I can't imagine what went wrong but I will look into it. As the summer gets busy out kitchen staff does expand and I know we are training new staff at the moment, however they are being supervised closely by senior staff and these issues should not have occurred. Despite this, I understand that we can't always be perfect. I regret that what you received was not to your taste. There is no mustard at all in the Mac & Cheese and how it found its way into yours seems to be a mystery. I hope you will come again and give our food another try.