“Spacious room & ensuite”
Review of de Haan's B&B

de Haan's B&B
Ranked #7 of 22 Kingston B&B and Inns
Reviewed July 4, 2013

Clear directions and a great location, right across from a waterfront walking trail that goes through a park, marina, little hills, wooden bridge, etc. Great place to run - you can go for miles and run all the way into town, with just a slight detour onto the road for a bit to pass the penitentiary.

Spacious is how I would describe this home. Nice big foyer and wide stairwells to conveniently move luggage. Our downstairs room had double closets and a huge ensuite, complete with sauna. The room lacks an outside lock so when you leave for the day, the room is left unlocked. I guess if the hosts are home or because there are only three rooms rented, it is deemed safe. We were surprised by this but did not have any problems, of course. The other downstairs room was vacant so we were the only ones downstairs too.

We never used the rec room which has a flat screen tv and comfy seating area. Nice touch to allow guests to use the full size fridge that's in the rec room too.

Wonderful to be able to choose what to have for the plentiful breakfast. One day DH had pancakes, while I enjoyed a ham and egg omelette. The next day we both savored French toast, along with the set course of lovely fruit salad, muffin and orange juice. Previous reviewer's comment about Denis being a chef explains why breakfast was made quickly and deliciously.

One thing that could be improved are the towels. The ones we had were bare threaded and the scratchiest I'd ever had in a lodging; mine actually had a 1" hole/tear in it. Also, I opened the high-up, basement window (had to stand on the bed to reach it) and was surprised to find substantial spiderwebs, complete with spider and its previous victims, because the rest of the lovely house and our room were immaculate.

We interacted more with Lettie but both hosts were welcoming and gracious, doing considerate things like leaving the downstairs light on for our late returns so we avoided having to fumble around looking for light switches. Lettie was very quick to reply to emails too.

Room Tip: The room with the ensuite is very spacious, but can get stuffy. You can leave the window open a bit...
  • Stayed: July 2013, traveled as a couple
1  Thank klam_chowder8

Reviewed June 27, 2013

What more could we ask for? We loved our stay at De Haan's!

Lettie and Denis are fun-loving and wonderful hosts. Their home is beautiful, super-clean, and just across from a beautiful park - a perfect place to take a walk along the water to watch Mallard ducks, Canadian geese and waves crashing along the shores. You can even go for a swim!

Lettie "loves to clean" and it shows in her immaculate home. Denis used to be a chef in Europe and whipped us up delicious omeletes in a split second.

Next time we stop by in Kingston, this is where we will stay. Why even bother with a hotel?

• Stayed: June 2013, traveled on business
1  Thank Marty H
Reviewed April 25, 2013

I'm not normally a customer of B&B's - I have had too many substandard experiences in the past. During my last trip to Kingston, my hotel experience was gruesome, so I decided to de Haan's. I am so glad I did! Lettie and Denis took wonderful care of me for my 3 night stay. Breakfasts were marvellous and always consisted of a fresh fruit salad, juice, and a muffin As my main course, I had a choice of pancakes, scrambled eggs or ham and cheese omelette. I'm sure if I stayed longer there would have been more breakfast options. Coffee was alway a treat - freshly brewed and wonderful.

Bedroom accommodations were top notch. I took the room with attached bathroom - easily worth the slightly higher charge than the rooms without attached bath. Lettie and Denis offered full use of the basement - TV and recreation room.

The B&B is conveniently close to Queen's University and downtown Kingston. It's just across the street from the lake, and beautiful walking paths along the lakeshore.

Lettie and Denis are no strangers to the hospitality business - let them take good care of you during your next visit to Kingston.

• Stayed: April 2013, traveled solo
2  Thank diner987654321
Reviewed December 16, 2012

I booked for three nights and was not disappointed. Lettie and Dennis were very welcoming and accommodating hosts. They were very kind and took me to the bus station on the day I was travelling back to Toronto - which was much appreciated. Breakfast was excellent, freshly prepared and presented. If you like walking the Riddeau trail starts just yards from the front door or you could walk into town along the lake front both are well worth it.

• Stayed: October 2012, traveled solo
1  Thank Mel M
Reviewed October 5, 2012

We stayed at De Haan's B&B for 2 weeks and it was 100% wonderful. It's their private home which is beautiful and the owners are very accommodating, helpful and friendly and nothing was too much trouble for them. It was really clean, comfortable, peaceful, relaxing, warm, great bedrooms, bathrooms, in a good location and the food was excellent. There is room to park your car outside and the house is in a really lovely neighbourhood. We would definately stay again and we are recommending it to all our family and friends. A real gem of a place and looks far nicer than any other B&B i've seen in Kingston. Excellent value for money too.

Room Tip: All of the rooms are equally nice and big with good closet space and nice bathrooms. all have a/c to...
  • Stayed: June 2012, traveled as a couple
Reviewed August 27, 2012

I booked this B&B at the last minute due to change of plans. The hosts (Lettie and Denis) were responsive and accommodating, which was really helpful in the circumstances. The house is large, clean, comfortable, and conveniently located. Breakfast was very tasty, and served at a beautifully set table. Price is also very reasonable.

• Stayed: August 2012, traveled with family
1  Thank EKJ06
Reviewed August 8, 2012

You can't do any better than this one in Kingston. Rooms, bothrooms, kitchen are clean and orderly, owners are friendly and there are variety of breakfast choices. It's quite and close to downtown businesses, attractions and the university. Don't think twice, just go and enjoy. You won't regret....

Room Tip: This is my second trip to this B&B. Rooms have TV and WiFi services. Bathrooms are shared in the...
  • Stayed: August 2012, traveled on business