“Listen to the warnings-this place is bad. Badness of epic proportions.”
Review of Tandoori Sizzle

Tandoori Sizzle
Ranked #134 of 449 Restaurants in Kingston
Cuisines: Indian
Dining options: Delivery
Neighborhood: Hillendale
Description: Tandoori Sizzle was born in 2010 from a passion for healthy indian food without compromising flavour or quality. Using only the freshest ingredients available, we strive to offer superior Indian food without using clarified butters or oils. The flavours and aromas at Tandoori Sizzle will please even the most discriminate of taste buds. Spice up your life at Tandoori Sizzle and taste what all the buzz is about! Fast Indian Takeout, Homemade Flavors at fast food prices
Reviewed November 25, 2013

I do not write restaurant reviews—I figure you usually get what you pay for. I'm also pretty easy to please, and will settle for a full belly, even if the food doesn't blow me away. It's pretty unusual, then, for me to come out of a restaurant feeling angry and ripped off. I forked out quite a bit for a terrible lunch, and even if I get lucky and can hold this one down (my girlfriend has not been so fortunate this evening), there was so little food I left still feeling hungry. That's quite the trifecta.

Menu options looked promising, but the amazing-looking sekh kebab advertised on the flatscreen TV is no longer offered. I settled for tandoori chicken meal, while my girlfriend tried the lunch combo with butter chicken and chickpea curry. With a soda each, a samosa, and an aloo tikki patty, and tip (you have to pay up front) I shelled out $35—pretty steep for a lunch date, but I figured the leftovers would be worth it.

It took quite a while—about 10 minutes—for the food to be ready, and I thought it odd when I saw the man behind the counter bring out a knife and cutting board before preparing our trays. Even with that foreshadowing, I was baffled by what I was served—a sectioned metal tray half covered in rice with a smattering of tiny bits of sliced pink and grey chicken on top, a small portion of lettuce in one section of the tray with a drizzle of yoghurt and spices, two or three tablespoons of chickpea curry drizzled over the aloo tikki in another, and the final slot empty. My girlfriend didn't fare much better—her butter chicken was cut up into tiny pieces, along with a few tablespoons of sauce, while she also got two wedges of sliced naan.

Ok, so judging by the portion sizes, there weren't going to be any leftovers. Maybe that would have been ok if the food were anything other than marginally edible. First off, the rice was cold—cold enough that it chilled any of the chicken and sauce it came in contact with to the point of being lukewarm at best. The tandoori chicken was unlike anything I've ever seen—perhaps it was deboned and cut into cat food-sized chunks out of politeness or some terrible misapprehension of what Canadian consumers of Indian food want. The dozen or so thumbnail-sized pieces of chicken were soggy from marinating in a vinegary sauce—overall it was reminiscent of microwaved leftovers, and did anything but sizzle. The same chicken was thrown in with the butter chicken sauce, the flavour of which was difficult to make out given the tepidness of the dish.

For what was there, the chickpeas and samosa were alright, while the lettuce at least hadn't yet turned brown. The aloo tikki was good in some mouthfuls, crispy critters in others, and cost $3 for a single piece a little bigger in diameter than a toonie.

We finished our plates in a rather shocked silence, left still feeling hungry, and learned from a few reviews that we read afterwards that we could look forward to all kinds of digestive unpleasantness for the hours to come. That all said, do yourselves a favour, save yourselves some money, and stay as far away from this place as you possibly can.

6  Thank Grumpyguts13

Reviewed November 16, 2013 via mobile

We visited at lunch time and the place was dead. We, my husband and I, each got a combo meal so we could sample a variety of things.

The butter chicken was good but they put it on rice after I asked for no rice. The naan was reheated not made fresh as they said it was.
The shahi paneer was not what I have come to expect. They charged me for a large lentil soup when I asked for a small one and charged me for two samosa but only gave one. It was very expensive for what we got quality and quantity wise.

If I lived in Kingston I would avoid this place in the future.

Reviewed August 9, 2013

I usually never write reviews and I signed up just to write this but I just had to warn people, this is what I want you all to know:

PLEASE DO NOT GO HERE! I am an Indian which was visiting Kingston and I found this place and I thought it would be decent BUT I WAS SO WRONG. The owner is nice but pretty smart.

I understand why some people like this place and it's because THEY HAVE NEVER TASTED REAL INDIAN FOOD. I tried their shahi paneer and trust me it tasted nothing like shahi paneer, if someone that like that food tried real shahi paneer they would go straight to heaven (THATS HOW BIG THE DIFFERENCE WAS).

And worst of all is, SHE MAKES THE NAAN AT HERE HOUSE AND WARMS THEM UP AT HER HOUSE. I saw her warm them right in front of me and having much experience with Indian food, you can tell that it was not restaurant material.

Lastly, the owner is so smart that when it was time for us to pay (ALOT of money by the way), she went inside because she knew that my family would not like the food and did not want us to talk about the food. But luck for her in kingston most of the people in kingston have not have not had REAL Indian food from a REAL Indian restaurant so they think the food is fine.

Almost forgot to mention the food made me sick for a few hours and price are way to high!

9  Thank Rupinder G
Reviewed July 30, 2013

I ordered the combo with paneer, raita, naan and a salad and I thought it was quite good. Although everything is very spicy even when you ask for it to be mild. The service was friendly and helpful. It is a good place to come for takeout.

1  Thank Jodi101
Reviewed March 23, 2013

Wow used a Groupon for soup, naanen bread and pamendous. Lentil soup is spicy but extremely good. Bread is good. Place is mainly take out but does have 3 tables. I will go back as my lentil soup does not compare to how they do it! Customer eating while I was waiting commented that the tandoori chicken combo he had was wonderful.

2  Thank Mammo64