“Downtown water front”

Confederation Place Hotel
Ranked #26 of 37 Hotels in Kingston
Reviewed August 5, 2014

Hotel is in a good location to view the lake,Confederation Basin Marina and also to a various restaurants and bars for your enjoyment.Underground parking is available at $20 per night.Rooms are adequate for a couple of nights stay and are somewhat less expensive than others nearby.Hotel is located directly at the foot of the docks if one wished to take a tour of the local area and islands.

Room Tip: Les expensive car parking is available outside...check at the check in desk for information as to ra...
  • Stayed: August 2014, traveled as a couple
There are newer reviews for Confederation Place Hotel

Reviewed July 29, 2014

I'm not in Kingston very often, and when I am it's only for a couple nights and I usually stay at the Delta (formerly Radisson). It was sold out, so booked this one instead. Was a bit wary from all the negative reviews and went in with low expectations, but found most of the complaints to be unfounded.

The hotel dates back to the late 70s/early 80s and was originally a Ho Jo. Not sure what floors other reviewers were staying on or if there's an ongoing reno schedule, but the 4th floor didn't seem like the time warp other people are complaining about and had the usual amenities you'd expect in a typical hotel room in this decade. Except a pen and notepad, but that's trivial. The room was clean and comfortable, the wi-fi worked and the shower had good water pressure. That's pretty much all I care about.

Breakfast buffet is exactly what you'd expect when it's included with the room. If you're expecting freshly squeezed orange juice and attentive wait staff to top up your coffee while you wait for your eggs Benedict, you need to consider what you're paying for the free breakfast. It's always going to be just basic toast, juice, cereal and coffee...I have yet to find a hotel that offered much beyond that in a complimentary breakfast buffet.

Location is close to everything, but unlike the Holiday Inn or Delta, it's on a main thoroughfare. The only negative thing I can say about the place was that the rooms aren't entirely soundproof. There's a patio at the restaurant next door, and I could hear the family in the adjoining suite loud and clear when they were talking in their room. Fortunately the patio music shut down by 9pm and the neighbours went to sleep by 10...but could've been very annoying otherwise.

• Stayed: July 2014, traveled solo
Reviewed July 16, 2014

My room was filthy! I had to ask for it to be cleaned twice, finally they agreed to move me. The sliding walk out door fell off the track, dead bugs on my floor, hair balls in the bathroom etc. my kids got stuck in the elevator for 40 minutes and they said it was the kids fault. Maybe it was, but no apology, no reassurance etc. Manager first day was very rude. He tried to make up for it when I demanded to speak to someone again. He even sent a box of chocolates for my trouble. Better customer service and cleanliness has to be improved. I couldn't believe there is no management on duty on the weekends. Night staff tried to help finally moving me at 10:30pm. I have pictures to prove what a nightmare we had of a room! Avoid at all cost.

Room Tip: Whatever you do stay away from the ground floor! Upper rooms seem to have been renovated.
Reviewed July 14, 2014

I'm usually not picky about hotels, but this place is a disaster. Above all, if you have kids, don't go here.

Where do I begin? The place is ratty and looks like it hasn't been renovated in decades. The AC unit is from the 1970s. The sinks constantly stop up and don't drain. But what was really awful was how family-unfriendly the place was, and how difficult the hotel made everything.

First, we called when we were on our way and indicated to the staff that we had two sleeping toddlers in our car and how much we would appreciate it if they could set cribs up for us so we could put the kids right back to sleep. We were told there is a $15 charge per crib. A charge for a crib? So we had to lug out the pack 'n plays, wake the kids up, and suffer through an extra hour of crying at 11pm. There was also no ramp at the entrance, so bringing in our stuff, as well as our stroller, up the stairs was a big pain.

Finally, we were told that we had to pay $20 for parking. Seriously? This is not New York City, it's Kingston. Is it really necessary to fleece customers like that?

Oh, by the way, we were told later that there is actually not a charge for cribs, only for cots (the person on the phone gave us faulty info), but we were told that after it could have been of any use to us.

In a word: avoid.

Reviewed July 8, 2014

Expensive parking...horrible underground lot...nothing to write home about rooms...terrible television reception...rude manager...dirty windows...fitness facility consisting of one treadmill...I highly recommend staying somewhere else!!!

Reviewed June 29, 2014

The hotel is located bang in the heart of Kingston and overlooking the water. Biggest plus - Its water views from the room (see uploaded pics and definitely try and get a room overlooking the water). Room was comfortable and in order. There is a convenient parking lot right opposite the hotel across the street (around $5 overnight parking charge from approx. 6pm in the evening to 7am in the morning) - Works out much cheaper than the hotel's parking. Lastly, if you are looking at doing any cruise from Kingston (big or small), most of them start from beneath the hotel itself

However, the hotel does have slight rough edges - Continental breakfast and not a full spread, the internet was irregular and the room lacked convenient sockets (I had to unplug some of the hotel's appliances to plug in mine)

Overall good hotel, few rough edges but the room view and price make up for it

Stayed: June 2014, traveled with family
Reviewed June 20, 2014

My husband and I stayed here at the end of May and were happily surprised with the location and pleasant staff of the hotel. Our suite overlooked the river harbor, was clean, albeit a bit old-fashioned. Its central location allowed us to visit parts of the old city on foot, especially the center square of this romantic little town. The only drawback was the renovation part which made it a bit more difficult to find the hotel itself, but hopefully that will be finished soon. It looked like the hotels nearby were filled, but their noise level could be heard across the water, and we were grateful to have chosen this hotel instead. Kingston, Ontario, is beautiful, like all Canadian cities we have visited in the past.

Room Tip: View of the harbor a must!
  • Stayed: May 2014, traveled as a couple