“Old world charm and modern conveniences”
Review of Rosemount B&B Inn

Rosemount B&B Inn
Ranked #5 of 22 Kingston B&B and Inns
Mississauga, Canada
“Old world charm and modern conveniences”
Reviewed December 13, 2011

I have stayed here many times. It feels like a second home. Holly always greets me with a friendly smile. I especially appreciate the gas fireplaces and luxurious showers. If you want a little more seclusion. try the Coach House. Breakfasts here are a treat. I'll be back!

• Stayed October 2011, traveled on business
RosemountInnkeeper, Owner at Rosemount B&B Inn, responded to this review, April 3, 2012
Returning guests are such a treat and the best compliment of all. We love to have guests return , some choose the same room each time and others are making their way through all the rooms. See you again soon! With thanks, Holly

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (30)
Vancouver, Canada
Reviewed December 8, 2011

My daughter and I spent a wonderful four nights in the Rosemount Room in early December. What a treat to enjoy the warmth and charm of such a lovely home. Holly made us feel very much "at home" - although - really, our home couldn't compete with the Rosemount's lovely decor. Being able to return from an afternoon exploring Kingston to the warmth of a fire and cookies freshly baked (yes, the chocolate was still gooey ... so NOT stale!) was a real treat. The breakfasts were delicious - and we especially enjoyed the company of a lovely couple from Toronto - so, for us, sharing a table made the meal that much more enjoyable. I can appreciate the environmentally friendlier soap/shampoo dispensers, and the non-packaged amenities (like Q-Tips and cotton pads) - and would have appreciated some soap that I could have accessed without having to step out of the tub (and one by the sink) - BUT no place is perfect, and I think you need to look for what you want in a B&B. It is true that there is no choice for breakfast - and if you are a toast and cereal person - this isn't the place. However, I tried things for breakfast I wouldn't have otherwise tried - as did my daughter - and it was wonderful. With the Christmas decorations, the fireplace in the bedroom, the lovely breakfasts and delicious cookies - this was a wondeful escape for my daughter and I. If you are expecting instant service, catered to your specific wants - and don't appreciate the charm of slowing down, experiencing something new - then this isn't for you. We, however, loved it. No TV in the room - but playing rummy on the four poster bed with the fire burning and Christmas music playing (we brought our own music too) - was a much better way to spend the evening.

Room Tip: The Rosemount room was a lovely large and bright corner room - it was wonderful to have so much spac...
  • Stayed December 2011, traveled with family
Thank you for your compliments and for your candid look at what we can do to serve you better. For sure if you would prefer cereal, oatmeal , toast - just ask we can do that for you happily. Some guests ask for just fruit , yogurt and toast . We always ask at check in, as you know, about food allergies or diet restrictions, lactose etc. because we don't offer an individual choice and want to be sure we provide everyone with the best appropriate selection possible. Our breakfast will always have fresh fruit, and egg dish and a veg - maybe a salad ( yes even at breakfast). Meat is offered sometimes as we find many of our guests over the years have opted not to have it so we don't serve it every day. Again, just ask , we will do it if possible. Extra soaps are also available - either in the butler basket in the hall or just ask. I know the bathroom you had is quite long so it is would be better to have one for the tub and the sink. The soaps on the tub wall do have bath gel but we can certainly add and extra bar soap .We have been in business over 20 years and have resisted adding TV's to all the rooms. Glad to hear that you enjoyed the lack of TV, and tried out the Board Games. Some of our best ideas come from our guests , thank you for sharing. See you again. Holly
Ottawa
Reviewed November 28, 2011

My husband and I stayed here for a well-deserved birthday getaway. We were pleasantly welcomed and has a comfortable, charming room (The Loft). We found our hostess (Holly, the owner) open and honest and a great source of info on where to go and what to see while in Kingston. They are indeed a member of Ontario's Finest Inns for a reason. This woman does not scrimp when it comes to quality and has lovingly restored her hotel to a glorious yet comfortable inn and bed and breakfast. We were welcomed by one of her helpers, a very warm man, for our breakfast. We would definitely stay again and recommend it to anyone!!

Room Tip: This is not a place for those cannot tolerate stairs. The room we had was up a flight of stairs. If...
  • Stayed November 2011, traveled as a couple
The Loft is a great room isn't it! It reminds me of my Grandmothers farm house in the best way. A few steps down to the bathroom, and even though the tub was so big I couldn't resist it. Still just for one but a great bubble bath soak. My staff and I love being able to offer guests new things to see or the hottest restaurant, or the great play or entertainment show to be in town. Ask when you are reserving about what is going on in Kingston. There is always a surprise to be found. The Fort will be doing two Sunset ceremonies per week this year, and the boat lines are continuing with their Friday night dances on the water. Keep in touch with the inn and happenings thru our website, on Facebook and I have just started posting specials on Trip Advisor. What a great way to stay connected to guests. .See you again! Holly
London
Reviewed November 21, 2011

we stayed here for 2 nights on our beautiful holiday around southern Ontario. The house is lovely, the room was large and comfortable, the Inn is walking distance from the centre of Kingston. We found ourselves having to wait in the sitting room for breakfast and being officially called to the dining room and then presented with breakfast, no choice, no options, no menu... what they feel like cooking is what you will have to eat... no seconds... no toast... We found rather funny when the owner called the guest's attention to explain the omelette and green salad that was being served. A little pretentious for a B&B, no matter what stars or rating it may have. I tried to book a facial from the SPA that is advertised, but there was nobody there, so no facial for me...

5 Thank Laura_Simon_Birt
I am so sorry that we could not accommodate your last minute request for spa. As a boutique Spa ( limited hours) I do not always have staff or space available unless booked in advance. I do hope you will try our spa on your next visit we have a fabulous line of natural products including chocolate and wine!
As you noted we do ask guests to be available for a reserved seating for breakfast. For the space that we have in the dining room we felt that the breakfast would be at it's best if we served everyone together. It is also the family style table that our guests have enjoyed for over twenty years. If you prefer a different time we do our best to accommodate if we can. When the inn is full we do stick to two seatings and hopefully one of them will suit your needs. We ask about allergies etc at check in to ensure we provide the nut , lactose, diabetic, gluten , berry , meat, vegan, vegetarian, allergy free breakfast as required. With fruit, salad, eggs (and sometimes meat) offered every day we hope that you will enjoy the variety but we are also happy to do just cereal or oatmeal and toast. . If there is anything you would prefer to have or not have , just ask. When we 'introduce' the breakfast after it is served it is our desire to be sure that everyone knows what is on their plate - again in case of allergies and for some they are new to Canada and may not be familiar with what is served. We want everyone to enjoy! Hope to see you back again. And thanks for taking time to share your thoughts so that we can better serve our guests. Holly
Sydney, Australia
Reviewed November 5, 2011

I booked this place for my mum who was here in Toronto visiting me from Australia and wanted to head to Kingston to see the Thousand Islands (little did we know her timing was bad and most cruises were closed for the season).

When she got back to Toronto she couldn't stop raving about Kingston, the inn and the wonderful hospitality of the inn keepers. Her short stay so enjoyable. I would certainly recommend The Rosemount Inn to anyone I know heading to Kingston.

She had such a wonderful time and although she didn't get to do a cruise of the islands, it seems that her experience was one that she will not forget.

• Stayed October 2011, traveled solo
It was a pleasure to have your mom as our guests. We had a great chat and she told me a little about Australia. Think I will have to visit soon. Sounds wonderful/. Thank you for choosing the Rosemount Inn for your mom, perhaps you will have a chance to visit us soon too. Best regards, Holly
Belleville
Reviewed October 7, 2011

We stayed at the Rosemount for a one-night getaway. Holly is a thoughtful host, and the breakfast was absolutely delicious. We particularly enjoyed our table-mates at breakfast; people from all over the globe, aside from ourselves, two from western Canada, oneom Italy, two from the U.K., two from Spain, and needless to say, the conversation was lively and stimulating. We stayed in the Tower Room and while we understand that some of the other rooms are larger with more ambience nonetheless, the Tower Room provided every comfort we needed for a short stay. 'Katey' the resident golden retriever, is sweet-tempered and only approaches when she's invited. A thoroughly enjoyable visit to beautiful Kingston.

Room Tip: The Tower Room is small but comfortable nonetheless. If we would be staying longer, we would choose...
  • Stayed October 2011, traveled as a couple
Thank you for a great review. The Tower is a little smaller but remains one of the favourite room because of the private balcony. (Psst....Guests like to go out on Haunted Walk nights and have fun with the ghosts of Rosemount!!)
On your next visit take a look at the Coverdale and the Rosemount Master bedroom. They are both quite spacious, have big windows and each with gas fireplace.Jenny's room has a walk in jetted shower. Also a good room to try. The two level Edwards Suite has a private living room, chalet style with bedroom overlooking the main floor. Each one has it's own personality. Every room in the inn has a list of guests who declare it to be their favourite! Come back soon and try another room. Cheers, Holly
Baltimore, Maryland
Reviewed October 7, 2011

The faciliities are fine and the location is great but the folks who worked there (not sure if either was the owner) need to ask themselves if it is time to get out of the business. They were not pleasant and barely broke a smile. At breakfast, they seemed irritated when guests were looking for coffee (after having been seated for a while for an 8am breakfast). When asked for salt and pepper, they seemed reluctant to offer the pepper mill for guests to apply themselves, saying that the pepper mill "was the chef's". They did thankfully leave the pepper mill and I'm positive none of us stole it.

As with many b&b in old homes, you could hear the creak of the steps of anyone around you. But that is part of the charm.

Kingston does have its limits for hotels/accommodations but we will stay elsewhere the next time.

4 Thank X C
Wow! My apologies for your upset. We were having a small problem in the kitchen - not with the chef but none the less it shouldn't reflect on my face which obviously it did. I love my 'job' which is to say my 'life' as I have lived at the inn since we opened over twenty years ago. I hope you will find some humour in the pepper mill story. I was worried about bringing it out to you as I knew it was being used by the chef and therefore not as prisitine clean on the outside case as I would like. I decided that I could grind it for you as they do in the restaurants except that the pepper mill was not one of the really tall ones and thus might be a problem to reach your plate. I was not worried about you stealing it! I was worried it might be sticky! I went out that same week and bought new ones for the dining room with strict instructions that the new salt and pepper mills are never to see the kitchen! I do hope you will come back. Obviously I do not have a poker face! Would never do well at that. Hope you will be back again. Best regards, Holly