“Wow...what a beautiful home!!!”

Secret Garden Bed & Breakfast Inn
Ranked #3 of 22 Kingston B&B and Inns
Reviewed May 30, 2009

This B&B was recommended by a friend and did not disappoint!!! It is within a short walking distance to shops, restaurants and the beautiful Lake Ontario. Restaurants and sight seeing recommended by the owners were great. I loved the history of this city. My room was the Turret Room...very cosy and inviting. Breakfast from Gary was delicious....I want to adopt him and bring him home to Australia. Thankyou Gary and Warren for your hospitality. While there, ask Warren to show you their other property, The Abbey Manor. Very nice also. I am looking forward to my next trip to Kingston....loved it!!!!

• Stayed: April 2009, traveled with friends

Reviewed February 18, 2009

I wonderful retreat for those looking for a quiet and relaxing holiday but still have those travelling bugs sorted out with shopping and tourist areas in close proximity.
Wonderful holiday.

• Stayed: September 2008, traveled solo
1  Thank NettyF
Reviewed January 26, 2009

We stayed at Secret Garden a few years ago, and enjoyed it so much that we never considered going anywhere else! We had planned to attend the Queens Homecoming (we found out afterwards that the university adminstration has made the stupid and short-sighted decision to suspend future homecoming celebrations; Queens will never be any different than any other Canadian university now!) so we immediately rebooked at Secret Garden! Gary's breakfasts are to die for, and the rooms and common areas are georgeous! Our daughter, who lives in the student ghetto and attends at Queens couldn't wait to join us!
We will definitely go back!

• Stayed: October 2008, traveled on business
    • Check in / front desk
    • Business service (e.g., internet access)
1  Thank Gunnersrule
Reviewed January 11, 2009

My wife and I took a long-overdue break while our kids were with their grandparents on a grand adventure in Holland, doing the 4-day walk in Nijmegen, Holland (45,000 participants, 120 km - look it up, it's quite an experience). We'd never been to Kingston, so picked what looked like a restful place to relax and use as a base for some exploring.

The Secret Garden was just the right choice, a very welcoming, classy and relaxing Bed and Breakfast with wonderful period furniture, gracious hosts and delicious breakfasts that will sustain you for hours. The heritage house is set in an interesting neighbourhood close to the waterfront, making for relaxing walks that allowed us to explore this area of Kingston without having to drive every time. The city hall, parks, shops, a market, several museums and many restaurants are all within short walking distances - bring comfortable shoes.

The routine of the house was explained by our host, Gary, with the request that we indicate our preference for one of two starting times for breakfasts. Choosing a time was not a rigid afair, as long as he knew the evening before which time was preferred. Newspapers were available in the lounge, as well as morning and noon tea and coffee with sweets. Breakfasts were very tasty and filling, with a range of foods varied over the three days that we spent there. Kudos to the chef, and to Gary for presenting the various foods so well.

There is a small, colourful and very well-maintained garden to the front and right of the property that is a little oasis of tranquility, with flowing water and some really beautiful flowers, depending on the time of the year. Across the street is a church with a red door that makes for great photos, and there are several other photogenic locations in the neighbourhood, so remember to bring your camera.

Our room (the last one, so the Secret Garden certainly seems popular) was small but comfortable, with a good bed, two chairs (we mentioned to Gary that one needed to be replaced or repaired, as the seat cushion was rather lumpy) and a table, a small television, a dresser and a clean, comfortable washroom and shower. Overall, the owners seems to do a good job of keeping the house well-maintained, given that the age of the house and the restrictions imposed by its classification as a historical home must palce some challenging demands on them.

All in all, a lovely bed and breakfast with most gracious hosts, highly recommended.

• Stayed: July 2008, traveled as a couple
2  Thank zoompixel
Reviewed January 4, 2009

Although there were some minor problems, they were not enough to not recommend this B & B. It was a very beautiful place, full of antiques and wonderfully decorated for Christmas. The hosts were very friendly and most accommodating. It was like walking into a turn of the century (109 years ago) postcard. Our room we booked was great and visually lived up to our expectations.

The food was excellent and our host made it clear of the rules and schedules of the house and breakfast time.

Unfortunately, the room we booked had an "equipment malfunction" through no fault of the owner or us and we had to change rooms.
The owner/host was very apologetic about the situation. Although the 2nd room we were moved to was nice, it was not the one I would have picked when we initially booked our romantic getaway, as each room has it's own special character. Plus, where our original room had a bath & shower, the 2nd room only had a stand up shower.

Although I could have, I did not want to spoil the atmosphere of hospitality and be crass by suggesting to the host that we should be financially compensated for this inconvenience and perhaps not charged the full price for this alternate room.

And I was actually waiting for the owner/host to offer compensation first, or at least be told we were not being charged the full rate as we checked out the next day.

I was somewhat disappointed about not being comped. I know if I were the owner, I would have shaved about $50 off the price. But, as I said, it was not worth arguing about, so I let it go.

Also, I cannot speak for every room, but the 2nd room we were moved to, all the pillows on our bed were flat and hard as sandbags and my wife and I did not get much sleep at all because of this. That night I did look in the closet to see if there were any extra pillows, as it's been my travel experience that that's where any extra blankets and pillows are stored, but there were none in the closet. Could I have asked the owner? I suppose, but it was about 11:30 PM when we got in and I did not want to bug them at that time of night, plus, I had changed into my sleeping attire and did not feel like getting dressed just to go downstairs and intercom the owner, which was more like 12:30 AM by that time.

It wasn't until the next morning, before checkout, that we did find a fluffy pillow, but only one in a dresser drawer. Could I have been more assertive about these things? I suppose, but I figured we will be there only one night. And as I said at the beginning of my review, I would still recommend this B & B. Just make sure you bring your own pillows,

• Stayed: December 2008, traveled as a couple
1  Thank rashka12
Reviewed October 27, 2008

My husband and I travelled to Kingston for Thanksgiving to visit our daughter and stayed at the Secret Garden. We had a most relaxing and enjoyable stay. We had previously stayed at the Abbey Manor Inn which is also owned by Gary and Warren and we had such a pleasant stay that we were inclined to book there again but decided to give the Secret Garden a try. I can say that it is equally lovely and offers every comfort a traveller could wish for.

We stayed in Theresa's Room and the king size bed was supremely comfortable., The room is large and beautifully decorated with a sitting area by the windows and a gas fireplace. Two of my favourite things were the large closet which could hold our suitcases out of the way and the skeleton keys to the rooms.

Breakfasts were served in the main dining room and most days we had a choice of 8:30 or 9:30 a.m. The food is wonderful and so plentiful that I couldn't possibly have eaten it all. In five days we never had the same dish twice. There were always fresh- from-the-oven muffins to accompany the daily entree such as shrimp quiche or apple stuffed pancake, as well as sausage and fruit, croissants and orange juice and coffee.

Every morning before breakfast I would help myself to a cup of coffee from the sideboard in the parlour and take it outside to sit in the garden by the pond. It was so peaceful and tranquil to sit there listening to the sound of the waterfall and watching the world go by.

Gary is the consummate host, welcoming but not intrusive, and always available to answer any queries or willing to do anything to help make the stay more enjoyable.

Now we have a dilemma. Where do we stay next time? Abbey Manor Inn or Secret Garden Inn? Both have wonderful hosts, delicious food, beautiful rooms. Hmmm....... what a choice!

• Stayed: October 2008, traveled as a couple
    • Check in / front desk
    • Business service (e.g., internet access)
Reviewed August 9, 2008

This is a wonderful B&B. Location is great in the Kingston area in that you are close to the downtown activities, within walking distance, but you don't hear the hustle and bustle when you sleep.
As for the food, to die for! Our only complaint would be that breakfast is served late for us; 8:30 am. By 8:00 am all 12 guests were downstairs waiting for food, it's too bad it couldn't be earlier. But aside from that, it was the best breakfast that I've ever had. Each morning was different and delicious.
Upon waiting for breakfast, coffee was available and lucky for us, the weather was good for sitting out on the front porch while we waited, it was great. Lots of places to sit and swing/rock if you so desired.
Rooms were beautifully furnished. We took the room where the bathroom wasn't attached and though you may think this was inconvenient it was not. Robes were provided and we had a huge bathroom all to ourselves.
Our hosts were wonderful. They greet you upon arrival and even are there to say good-bye when you leave.
I would highly recommend this B&B to anyone. Especially if you're not sure about staying at a B&B, this would be a wonderful one to start at although others may pale in comparison.

• Stayed: August 2008, traveled as a couple