“Great Hospitality, Victorian Style!” 5 of 5 bubbles

and 1 more site!
Secret Garden Bed & Breakfast Inn
Ranked #4 of 22 Kingston B&B and Inns
Katy, Texas
“Great Hospitality, Victorian Style!”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed December 8, 2013

The Secret Garden is in a perfect location: a quiet street, within walking distance to downtown shopping and restaurants and Queens. The rooms are beautiful and all unique. I stayed in the Victoria Rose and loved the VERY comfortable four poster bed with its soft fresh scented bedding, the wall gas heater virtual fireplace and the great "soaker" claw foot tub. Kathy is a wonderful host. She thinks of everything: from the warm welcome, to the knowledgeable info on the area, to the afternoon tea and fresh baked cookies in the parlor and the delicious breakfast served at two sittings in the gorgeous dining. The Inn was all decorated for Christmas, which I loved! Thanks for a wonderful stay!

• Stayed December 2013, traveled solo
    • 5 of 5 bubbles
kathyd488, Owner at Secret Garden Bed & Breakfast Inn, responded to this review, January 8, 2014
So glad you enjoyed your stay and I hope you can visit again soon!

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (37)
Toronto, Ontario, Canada
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed December 1, 2013

My boyfriend and I stayed here for a weekend away in late november. The house is lovely and decorated in a warm and inviting fashion. We stayed in the Victoria Rose room which has a 4 poster bed and ensuite with a fantastic claw foot tub. The house is very clean and tidy.

Great things about this place includes the location, it is walking distance to all the restaurants and shopping as well as the waterfront and the Queen's campus. The owner is lovely and is knowledgeable about the house and area. She did allow us to park before checkin so we could walk about and not worry about street parking. The afternoon tea was appreciated along with the fresh baked goods. There is a library stocked with books and board games. Free wi-fi (bit slow) The bed was super comfy and the bed linens were very pretty.

Not so great things about this place include the paper thin walls, you could hear conversations in the next room. I was not wowed with the breakfast, the food was just OK and there were fairly small servings. I think the men at the table left hungry. The toiletries were not replenished on the second night and the toilet paper is the cheap scratchy kind. You can't control the room temp but there is a wall mounted electric fireplace that can add heat if you need it. Although I thought the chairs in the room were lovely to look at, they were not comfy to sit on.

Overall it was a nice B&B with good service, you will enjoy yourself if you make a visit.

• Stayed November 2013, traveled as a couple
1 Thank Sue M
Thank you for your comments. I am sorry your visit wasn't completely satisfactory. If I might make a suggestion, the quietest rooms are on the third floor. Try the Turret Room - comfy chairs in the turret sitting area and a gas fireplace to keep you cozy in winter. And please note we are always happy to provide extra toast, fruit and yogurt for heartier appetites!
Campbellford, Canada
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed November 24, 2013

You can't beat the Secret Garden's location, seemingly two blocks from just about anything you could want to do or see in downtown Kingston. Our host was friendly and attentive, greeting us with a very welcome pot of hot tea. Our room was comfortable, with a simple but effective gas fireplace to warm us on a chilly evening. Breakfast the next morning was nice, with more than enough to eat. We enjoyed our stay here and will definitely return.

• Stayed November 2013, traveled as a couple
    • 5 of 5 bubbles
kathyd488, Owner at Secret Garden Bed & Breakfast Inn, responded to this review, November 25, 2013
Thank you for your kind words and I am glad the location suited you. "Park and walk" weekends are the best! Hope to see you again soon... Kathy
Ottawa
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed November 22, 2013

Recently had another wonderful stay at this Inn while in town for work. The house was remarkably clean, beds comfortable and breakfast delicious. I thoroughly enjoyed being able to escape the chilly fall weather by having a hot glass of tea and homemade cookies in the parlour, after a long day at the hospital. Thank you ladies, I look forward to visiting again.

Room Tip: The Turret room on the third floor offers a wonderful view, with lots of natural light, fireplace, a...
  • Stayed November 2013, traveled on business
    • 5 of 5 bubbles
So glad you enjoyed this stay and it was lovely to see you again. I hope you get back before Christmas to see our decorations and share in the festive sprit of the Inn. Cheers!
Toronto, Canada
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed November 19, 2013

I enjoyed my stay at the Secret Garden. I loved the central location in Kingston, the lovely old house with amazing woodworking details and stained glass windows. Staff were very friendly. They were very accommodating in letting me leave my luggage at the hotel before and after check in and out times.The breakfasts were delicious and the home-made cookies on Sunday were scrumptious. The gas fireplace in my room was a very nice cozy touch for the grey November days I was there.

Not everything was perfect about my experience, however. I was told on the phone that I could book the Victoria Rose, but then I got an email a week later saying I was in Angel's Watch. I was a bit disappointed to not get the four poster bed and the claw foot tub. Also, luckily I noticed that she had made an error on the price, forgetting to give me the discount for a single person.

Just a few details need attention in the Angel's Watch room. There were chips on the veneer of the TV stand and some broken handles on a chest of drawers. The tiny TV was impossible for me to turn on, even following the four-step procedure on the written instructions by the TV. I guess I should have asked for help, but it wasn't that important for me to watch TV.

Overall, I'd recommend the Secret Garden, but would try another room next time.

• Stayed November 2013, traveled solo
    • 4 of 5 bubbles
Thank you for your nice words about my staff, who are wonderful and always helpful and welcoming! If you had pointed out the problem with the TV it would have been addressed immediately.
I am sorry you did not get your room of first choice but glad you enjoyed beautiful Angels Watch with it's sleigh bed and gas fireplace...
I would like to note that the TV stand you mention is an antique sewing machine table, part of a collection at the Inn and, as such, has earned it's small bruises. That said, I apologize for the broken handle on the antique chest of drawers. We are currently looking for an appropriate replacement.
Best, Kathy
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed September 3, 2013

My husband and I were celebrating our 20th wedding anniversary and wanted it to be special. We had never stayed in a Bed &Breakfast before so we were a little apprehensive about trying one for our special weekend. Upon arrival we were warmly greeted by the inn.The home is beautiful and tastefully decorated. We stayed in the Victorian room and slept like babies. I will most certainly stay again.

• Stayed August 2013, traveled as a couple
1 Thank sharonaf67
Thank you for choosing the Secret Garden for your special occasion. We love to help celebrate by providing a welcoming, comfy and calm venue close to everything you need... I hope you do come again!
Ajax, Canada
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 27, 2013

I would like to begin by thanking Kathy and Shirley for being so welcoming and friendly. The house was absolutely beautiful, cozy and clean. The breakfasts were superb with the choice of 8:00 or 9:00 am sittings and afternoon tea was such a nice touch after sight seeing all day. I was actually more relaxed after two nights at Secret Garden then I was when I returned from Cuba in April. Everything was also in walking distance, downtown, Queens University and both hospitals.

You don't have to leave Ontario to have a wonderful holiday. I will definitely return.

• Stayed August 2013, traveled as a couple
    • 5 of 5 bubbles
kathyd488, Owner at Secret Garden Bed & Breakfast Inn, responded to this review, August 30, 2013
Thanks for your kind words. We all appreciate it. It was great to see you enjoying the porch swing... definitely a relaxing spot. I look forward to seeing you both again.