“Loved the Tower Room”

Ranked #5 of 22 Kingston B&B and Inns
London
“Loved the Tower Room”
Reviewed February 1, 2009

We stayed at the Hochelaga in August 08 as part of a road trip around Ontario and Quebec.
We paid extra to stay in the Tower Room, and didn't regret it - it's a fantastic and memorable experience. Sitting in the tower playing draughts as the sun goes down was lovely.
We were only in Kingston for 3 days, and to be honest that was enough as we didn't feel there was enough to do to occupy us much longer.
The staff at the Hochelaga were really helpful, and the free car parking at the rear meant we didn't have any worries about coming and going.
Our only disappointment was the breakfast, which was a cold buffet - we were disappointed there was no hot option, but that was the only down-side to a really great stay - we'd definitely stay here if we're ever in Kingston.

• Liked — The room, friendly welcome
  • Disliked — Breakfast
  • Stayed August 2008
1 Thank jebndelorus

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (40)
England
Reviewed November 29, 2008

We stayed in the Coach House Annex on a Saturday night and the noise continuted intermitently until 3.40 a.m. I don't think it was from just one other room. The walls and ceilings were paper thin and we heard various different people return throughout the night. We had to get up for a flight at 4.30 a.m., and tried to be as quiet as possible, but no doubt woke everyone else up again!

The bedroom was cramped compared to a similarly priced bed and breakfast we had stayed in in Kingston earlier. The bathroom was a good size.

Stayed November 2008, traveled with family
2 Thank KatharineEngland
Oshawa
Reviewed August 26, 2008

My husband and I stayed at the Hocheloga Inn as a mini honeymoon during Buskerfest in July. Our room was clean and homey feeling. The bathroom, although small was very clean and workable.

We enjoyed the stories of hauntings about the Inn when we went on Kingston's Most Haunted Tour. Unfortunately or fortunately depending on if you ask my husband or me, we did not meet any ghosties.

We really enjoyed our stay and breakfast was delicious!

• Liked — Location was great and we had a seperate entrance so we didn't have to trapse through the Inn at night.
  • Stayed July 2008, traveled as a couple
1 Thank DaBell
bluedot125
Reviewed July 4, 2008

My husband and I just came back from Kingston and stayed at the Hochelaga Inn.
What a gorgeous old mansion. The staff was so pleasant and the breakfast was delicious and our room was glamorous. Our 10th anniversary was perfect. Going back in September with my daughter and husband. Thank you everyone for a wonderful memory.
The Rogers. Toronto, Ont

• Stayed June 2008
2 Thank bluedot125
Oakville
Reviewed September 16, 2007

I found the Hochelaga Inn through the Internet and called the hotel directly to book a room for the weekend. The receptionist told me that there was only one room left which was not too big but still nice. Since I don't care much about size but rather quality I booked it anyways. We payed 180 $$ a night and so I was quite disappointed when we got there. The house itself is gorgeous but we were sent to the basement for our room (remember 180 $$!!). On the way to our room I noticed that the carpet in the hallways and the stairs was quite stained and the basement had not been vacuumed for at least a few days. And as beautiful as the house itself is, the decoration is awful. There is no style, no concept, no consistent idea in the interior deco. On one wall in the same room you could have a very abstract and modern oil painting, on the other wall some kitchy print of a doll or a pet. The whole house just seemed like a random accumulation of garage sale items. The breakfast was lousy: The fruit salad was rather a melon salad, there was only one type of jam and the presentation was poor as well. I would not go there again. The best is to enjoy this building from outside.

• Liked — the building, the garden and the location
  • Disliked — the room, the cleanliness, the breakfast
  • Stayed September 2007, traveled as a couple
3 Thank momo166
Toronto, Canada
Reviewed September 13, 2007

We really enjoyed our stay at the Hochelaga. Beautiful house in a nice neighbourhood close to the University.

The breakfast buffet was mostly cold choices, including items such as cheese, cold cuts, cereals, assorted breads and fruit.

Friendly service. I would stay there again.

• Liked — the atmosphere
Stayed September 2007
2 Thank phoenikia
cambridge
Reviewed August 7, 2007

Mr husband & I recently married in Kingston at the Sydenham United Church. My immediate family and some friends were fortunate to have booked our rooms just down the block from the church at the Hochelaga Inn & Spa. What an absolutely beautiful Inn and the service from Leeanne & Linda as well as the owner was so appreciated, even though I have never used this avenue before, I wanted other people to know how wonderful it was. We were able to take most of our wedding pictures in the English gardens and interior parlor and stairwell. What a perfect venue for us ! We were treated like part of the family and when my mother lost a button off her jacket, the owner had a supply of sewing materials on hand, and sewed it back on for her, while we had our manicures. The room décor was elegant in the larger ones and comfortable and pretty in the smaller rooms. Breakfast was plentiful and very interesting with plenty of vegetarian items for my friends as well as chilled whole shrimps for others. Thank you for being a part of my perfect wedding weekend. We highly recommend the Inn for anyone traveling to Kingston …..D&I, Cambridge. August 2007

• Liked — SUPERB SERVICE AND CLOSE TO MAJOR ATTRACTIONS AND NECCESSITIES
  • Disliked — CAN'T THINK OF ANYTHING REALLY, HAD AN OVERALL GREAT STAY
  • Stayed July 2007