“Clean, friendly but needs updating...”

Four Points Hotel and Suites Kingston
Ranked #14 of 37 Hotels in Kingston
Reviewed August 25, 2011

We stayed here as we have stayed at the Sheraton in Toronto and Niagra Falls. Both are very nice, modern, fancy, great room service-the food choices. Kingston was clean which is imperative. The decor felt dated and cold. The lighting was terrible. Unfortunately the water view had a high rise smack in the middle!
The staff were friendly and helpful. Parking was fine. Location-good.
Indoor pool needs work. The liner is terrible.
We enjoyed our stay but modernizing the decor would go a long way.

• Stayed: July 2011
robsty, Manager at Four Points Hotel and Suites Kingston, responded to this reviewResponded August 29, 2011

Thankyou for your comments and for your loyalty to the Starwood Brand! We appreciate that our new renovations aren't going to meet the decorative tastes of all, however your comments about lighting are being looked into. We replaced all lighting with environmentally friendly bulbs this year and will address brightness and darkness issues with lighting placement in the rooms. I am not sure if your visit was prior to our brand new pool liner. If so, you will find a big difference when you return!
Thankyou once again! Your comments are important to us!
Be sure to email me when you are booking to come back!

There are newer reviews for Four Points Hotel and Suites Kingston

Reviewed August 24, 2011

We stayed one night in order to do Ft. Henry. The parking garage was easy to get into and we had no problems there. The elevator to the main floor is a bit tight/hot (my son used a mobility device) but it was ample enough for the 4 of us plus his walker. The main lobby was nice and the front desk personnel were very helpful. The elevator to our room was again a bit tight but not too bad. (The issue I have with the elevators is that, due to the layout, the two sets of elevators are essentially across from each other in a rather tight hallway, thus, when people are waiting for the elevators, it is quite a congested area.)

The room was quite nice with lots and lots of pillows, a crisp sheet, a lighter blanket and a heavy top blanket. Quite decadent. The bathroom was also nice but interesting. The tile is a mix of high polish and matte so it looks constantly wet even when it's not. The bathroom was large and well lit, but we had only 3 towels for a 4 person room. Not a huge issue, just odd. The shower was clean but had not been rinsed well as there were hairs on the tub and 2 of the walls. Didn't particularly bother me as they washed down before we got in but still, not the best impression.

The room/bathroom remodel overall is nice. What I found odd is that all of the hotel/room info (such as room service lists and such) are done in a super plasticy laminated with primary color logos type printing that comes across as a bit cheap. I honestly thought there might not be room service as it took forever to find the menu as the laminated sheet a) blended into the wall and b) didn't look like it would be Sheraton stuff. Again, not huge by any means, just odd.

The room service was EXCELLENT. They have 30 minute guarantee or it's free and they made it on time for both dinner and breakfast. (We don't normally do room service but we were in very late and had lots of rain the next morning.) The food was excellent to boot. They were incredibly helpful for my son's gluten free/dairy free diet (made him a special kids meal) and kept track of that info for the next morning's order.

We were down on the ground for my son's stretching program and the carpet is new and nice. If there is old carpet, it must be in other rooms. The hallways were nicely - not super bright but not super dark. Not the 70's that some reviewer claimed. There were house phones and the drink machines use your key card for payment. (There was free bottled water in the room.)

• Stayed: August 2011, traveled with family

Thankyou for your comprehensive review. We appreciate the time taken to comment and your patronage. You have made some wonderful compliments and they will be shared with the team, as will your suggestions. We realize that we can't be everything to everyone but certainly feedback shows us what we are doing right and where we can get even better.
Please be sure to email me when you are coming back this way!

Reviewed August 19, 2011

We arrived very late on a Friday night of a busy summer weekend. The people at the reception were very friendly and helpful. They told us what restaurants/bars were still open in the neighbourhood, they even credited my credit card for the car parking that I did not require.

We tried the in-house restaurant for breakfast the next day, and both the food and the service were very good.

The room was spacious enough and appears to have had an facelift in the last year or so. The room had all of the standrad amenities for this hotel chain. The beds were quite comfortable (standard Starwoods beds) and the hotel was quiet enough for a good nights sleep. I cannot comment on the rest of the facilities as we left without using them.

This hotel is your standard 4 Points Hotel, and I would not hesitate to recommend it for a business trip or a short personal stay.

Would I come back to this hotel? Yes

• Stayed: August 2011, traveled with family
robsty, Manager at Four Points Hotel and Suites Kingston, responded to this reviewResponded August 22, 2011

Thankyou so much for your kind words! Our team will be delighted to hear your comments and we appreciate you for reaching out! We look forward to seeing you again soon!
Feel free to email me, personally, when you are returning.
Warmest regards,

Reviewed August 16, 2011

As a SPG gold member, I've had my patience tested, but this is where the line ends. You can tell this hotel is old, and its renovations are limited to certain parts of the room. The worst part is the AC system, it's SO loud that I can't sleep with earplugs on and WITH acoustic noise cancelling headphones. To add insult to injury, you have to keep swiping your card to get in because the damn door unit rarely will read the card. And yes, I saw my neighbors doing the same.

I was in one of the best rooms - junior corner suite.

This place is nothing more than a cover up veneer masquerading behind haphazard renovations.

• Stayed: August 2011, traveled on business
1  Thank Vincent L
robsty, Manager at Four Points Hotel and Suites Kingston, responded to this reviewResponded August 18, 2011

Thankyou for bringing your concerns to our attention. Your opinions are important to us, as is an opportunity to address your frustrations. We are delighted with our 2010 renovations which touched every aspect of our rooms from carpet to wallpaper, furniture, draperies, lighting, artwork, TV, bed, and bathroom. I would love the opportunity to explore your dislikes further. Please email me directly and we can dicuss via whatever method that you prefer. I will also explore the key card issue you mention. I can certainly appreciate how frustrating that is.

Reviewed August 12, 2011

Service was very good. Room clean and average for mid-range hotel. Quiet and we requested a small fridge that arrived within minutes of our arrival. Restaurant/bar has great deal $10 for pound (of mussels, wings or sausage) and a pint. Food was excellent and beer cold in frosty mug. Our server, Trevor, was knowledgeable, friendly and provided great service. He gave us tips on places to go and things to see. Good downtown location and only a block from the water.

Room Tip: Ask for Clarence Street room if you want a water view.
  • Stayed: August 2011, traveled with family
robsty, Manager at Four Points Hotel and Suites Kingston, responded to this reviewResponded August 16, 2011

Thankyou for such a wonderful review! Your remarks have been passed on to Trevor and he is delighted to have been a part of your memories of our hotel and of Kingston!
Yes! Everyone needs to experience 'Pint and a Pound' in the King Street Sizzle! So glad you loved it! We really appreciate your feedback and we really look forward to your next visit!
Contact me, personally, when you are coming back!

Reviewed August 6, 2011

I stayed here overnight in the middle of the road trip. The hotel was in a good location and all of the staff seemed quite friendly. They also corrected a billing issue caused by an error on the Starwood website without any trouble. I would definitely stay here again.

• Stayed: July 2011, traveled solo

Thankyou for your comments about our staff and our property! We strive to always provide a delightful experience and it is wonderful when guests take a moment to let us know we are doing things right. we love to know when we make mistakes too so that we have the opportunity to correct them. Be sure to come back soon!
Contact me directly when you are coming to Kingston again!

Reviewed July 30, 2011

Despite the incorrect starwood website which mis stated the cost of an upgraded room when using points our stay was perfectly acceptable. The young guy on the desk was most apologetic and stated that they have been trying to get the error corrected. Nice room, good location. Would certainly use again

• Stayed: July 2011, traveled as a couple
2  Thank brian3802
robsty, Manager at Four Points Hotel and Suites Kingston, responded to this reviewResponded August 3, 2011

Thankyou for talking about us so positively and I apologize again for the confusion over rate on the website. We look forward to the pleasure of your company when you are next coming through Kingston! Be sure to book with me, personally!