“Mixed Feelings”

Ranked #14 of 37 Hotels in Kingston
DCandFam
“Mixed Feelings”
Reviewed August 24, 2011

We stayed one night in order to do Ft. Henry. The parking garage was easy to get into and we had no problems there. The elevator to the main floor is a bit tight/hot (my son used a mobility device) but it was ample enough for the 4 of us plus his walker. The main lobby was nice and the front desk personnel were very helpful. The elevator to our room was again a bit tight but not too bad. (The issue I have with the elevators is that, due to the layout, the two sets of elevators are essentially across from each other in a rather tight hallway, thus, when people are waiting for the elevators, it is quite a congested area.)

The room was quite nice with lots and lots of pillows, a crisp sheet, a lighter blanket and a heavy top blanket. Quite decadent. The bathroom was also nice but interesting. The tile is a mix of high polish and matte so it looks constantly wet even when it's not. The bathroom was large and well lit, but we had only 3 towels for a 4 person room. Not a huge issue, just odd. The shower was clean but had not been rinsed well as there were hairs on the tub and 2 of the walls. Didn't particularly bother me as they washed down before we got in but still, not the best impression.

The room/bathroom remodel overall is nice. What I found odd is that all of the hotel/room info (such as room service lists and such) are done in a super plasticy laminated with primary color logos type printing that comes across as a bit cheap. I honestly thought there might not be room service as it took forever to find the menu as the laminated sheet a) blended into the wall and b) didn't look like it would be Sheraton stuff. Again, not huge by any means, just odd.

The room service was EXCELLENT. They have 30 minute guarantee or it's free and they made it on time for both dinner and breakfast. (We don't normally do room service but we were in very late and had lots of rain the next morning.) The food was excellent to boot. They were incredibly helpful for my son's gluten free/dairy free diet (made him a special kids meal) and kept track of that info for the next morning's order.

We were down on the ground for my son's stretching program and the carpet is new and nice. If there is old carpet, it must be in other rooms. The hallways were nicely - not super bright but not super dark. Not the 70's that some reviewer claimed. There were house phones and the drink machines use your key card for payment. (There was free bottled water in the room.)

• Stayed August 2011, traveled with family
robsty, Manager at Four Points Hotel and Suites Kingston, responded to this review, August 29, 2011
Thankyou for your comprehensive review. We appreciate the time taken to comment and your patronage. You have made some wonderful compliments and they will be shared with the team, as will your suggestions. We realize that we can't be everything to everyone but certainly feedback shows us what we are doing right and where we can get even better.
Please be sure to email me when you are coming back this way!
agm@fourpointskingston.com

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (139)
Toronto
Reviewed August 19, 2011

We arrived very late on a Friday night of a busy summer weekend. The people at the reception were very friendly and helpful. They told us what restaurants/bars were still open in the neighbourhood, they even credited my credit card for the car parking that I did not require.

We tried the in-house restaurant for breakfast the next day, and both the food and the service were very good.

The room was spacious enough and appears to have had an facelift in the last year or so. The room had all of the standrad amenities for this hotel chain. The beds were quite comfortable (standard Starwoods beds) and the hotel was quiet enough for a good nights sleep. I cannot comment on the rest of the facilities as we left without using them.

This hotel is your standard 4 Points Hotel, and I would not hesitate to recommend it for a business trip or a short personal stay.

Would I come back to this hotel? Yes

• Stayed August 2011, traveled with family
robsty, Manager at Four Points Hotel and Suites Kingston, responded to this review, August 22, 2011
Thankyou so much for your kind words! Our team will be delighted to hear your comments and we appreciate you for reaching out! We look forward to seeing you again soon!
Feel free to email me, personally, when you are returning.
Warmest regards,
Ontario
Reviewed August 16, 2011

As a SPG gold member, I've had my patience tested, but this is where the line ends. You can tell this hotel is old, and its renovations are limited to certain parts of the room. The worst part is the AC system, it's SO loud that I can't sleep with earplugs on and WITH acoustic noise cancelling headphones. To add insult to injury, you have to keep swiping your card to get in because the damn door unit rarely will read the card. And yes, I saw my neighbors doing the same.

I was in one of the best rooms - junior corner suite.

This place is nothing more than a cover up veneer masquerading behind haphazard renovations.

• Stayed August 2011, traveled on business
1 Thank Vincent L
robsty, Manager at Four Points Hotel and Suites Kingston, responded to this review, August 18, 2011
Thankyou for bringing your concerns to our attention. Your opinions are important to us, as is an opportunity to address your frustrations. We are delighted with our 2010 renovations which touched every aspect of our rooms from carpet to wallpaper, furniture, draperies, lighting, artwork, TV, bed, and bathroom. I would love the opportunity to explore your dislikes further. Please email me directly and we can dicuss via whatever method that you prefer. I will also explore the key card issue you mention. I can certainly appreciate how frustrating that is.

Georgetown, Canada
Reviewed August 12, 2011

Service was very good. Room clean and average for mid-range hotel. Quiet and we requested a small fridge that arrived within minutes of our arrival. Restaurant/bar has great deal $10 for pound (of mussels, wings or sausage) and a pint. Food was excellent and beer cold in frosty mug. Our server, Trevor, was knowledgeable, friendly and provided great service. He gave us tips on places to go and things to see. Good downtown location and only a block from the water.

Room Tip: Ask for Clarence Street room if you want a water view.
  • Stayed August 2011, traveled with family
robsty, Manager at Four Points Hotel and Suites Kingston, responded to this review, August 16, 2011
Thankyou for such a wonderful review! Your remarks have been passed on to Trevor and he is delighted to have been a part of your memories of our hotel and of Kingston!
Yes! Everyone needs to experience 'Pint and a Pound' in the King Street Sizzle! So glad you loved it! We really appreciate your feedback and we really look forward to your next visit!
Contact me, personally, when you are coming back!
Toronto, Canada
Reviewed August 6, 2011

I stayed here overnight in the middle of the road trip. The hotel was in a good location and all of the staff seemed quite friendly. They also corrected a billing issue caused by an error on the Starwood website without any trouble. I would definitely stay here again.

• Stayed July 2011, traveled solo
Thankyou for your comments about our staff and our property! We strive to always provide a delightful experience and it is wonderful when guests take a moment to let us know we are doing things right. we love to know when we make mistakes too so that we have the opportunity to correct them. Be sure to come back soon!
Contact me directly when you are coming to Kingston again!
Saint John, Canada
Reviewed July 30, 2011

Despite the incorrect starwood website which mis stated the cost of an upgraded room when using points our stay was perfectly acceptable. The young guy on the desk was most apologetic and stated that they have been trying to get the error corrected. Nice room, good location. Would certainly use again

• Stayed July 2011, traveled as a couple
2 Thank brian3802
robsty, Manager at Four Points Hotel and Suites Kingston, responded to this review, August 3, 2011
Thankyou for talking about us so positively and I apologize again for the confusion over rate on the website. We look forward to the pleasure of your company when you are next coming through Kingston! Be sure to book with me, personally!
Berlin, Germany
Reviewed July 25, 2011

I agree with most of the previous reviews and there is always two sides of a coin, so I appreciate that some people rate it higher and some lower. I was disappointed with our stay as I expected it to be not that much dated in terms of the entire interior in corridors, lobby and in our room. Someone wrote that during his stay Dec 29-31, 2004 he found this hotel to be very new. I wonder if we are talking about the same. The carpets, the furniture, the lifts, and many other things have certainly not been renovated way more than 7 years, even in 2004 this must have looked tired for sure.
The second reason for me to be disappointed is that the room was smelling like sweat when we entered it. We had to open the window and even though you can only open a small part of the entire window it got better after a while.
Yes, the hotel also has some pros such as the underground parking inside the building and a few other things. However, a room smelling like sweat in an environment form the 1970's is not worth the money they are asking for.

• Stayed July 2011, traveled as a couple
1 Thank Alex31415
FPKingston, Owner at Four Points Hotel and Suites Kingston, responded to this review, July 27, 2011
Thank you very much for taking the time to express your concerns about OUR hotel. I assure you we have been completely 100% renovated as of 2010.. just over a year ago. I realize that the renovations do not appeal to everyone but for the most part our customers have been delighted with our product. I am truly sorry that the room was not as fresh and clean as it should have been. I would like to make this right by you.. Please contact me personally by email at sales@fourpointskingston.com or my direct line at 613 545 4270.

I look forward to speaking with you.

Sincerely