All reviews room was clean lots of restaurants within walking distance free breakfast the ground floor fridge and microwave stayed two nights hot breakfast yogurt lots of parking short drive one night stay coffee maker motel pets
Reviewed August 9, 2018 via mobile

Another hotel that charges a deposit upon checking in. This time $60 more than the cost of the room plus tax at $155. I find this policy offensive and will continue to complain about it and in future look for hotels that do not support the policy. I have been a Choice Club member for over 30 years and have never damaged a room or taken anything other than a coffee packet, a shampoo bottle or pen. The problem is that the credit for the deposit is not processed at the same time as the real charge is debited. The owness is on the customer to monitor and chase after the hotel to make sure the credit is eventually done. They say 2-3 days but it often takes longer.

At this property a more serious problem is the spray they use to mask the fact that some clients have smoked in the room. Check outside the patio door. The butts are there as evidence. Has this property not heard that some have serious allergies to strong scents. Most organizations have banned strong perfumes and after shave lotion from their facilities. My wife complained about the smell as soon as she entered the room. The Front Desk told us there was no point in moving to another room as they spray them all.

Trip type: Traveled with family
Reviewed August 7, 2018 via mobile

My husband and I stayed here overnight on our anniversary road trip. We were originally booked in Room 232 (Two double), then after our first complaint were “upgraded” to Room 116 (King). We are relatively frequently travellers, and have stayed in all the major chains, including other Comfort Inns. I am sorry to say this was our worst hotel stay yet. While the facilities are obviously dated (no automatic door at the lobby entrance, dingy decor, stale cigarette odors), I would not consider that worthy of a complaint... it is what it is. We booked on Hotwire, and it was listed as a 2.5 star hotel with 90% positive ratings, which I do think is very misleading. For comparison, the beautiful new Holiday Inn up the street is also 2.5 star and according to the booking site has >80% positive reviews. (I find it very unlikely that the positive reviews of this Comfort Inn are accurate, given our experience.)

Upon arrival, we grabbed a complimentary coffee while checking in. The coffee was burnt tasting, stale, and lukewarm. The desk clerk, while polite enough, informed us that a $500 deposit was required since we did not offer a credit card. We are used to putting down cash deposits at other hotels, but the highest deposit we have ever had to put down was $300, and that was for the Embassy in Niagara Falls. This was a bit surprising but still not a deal-breaker.
We then went up to our assigned room (directly across from the busy door to the stairs) and were greeted by a filthy room with no linens on the beds, and mattress covers half torn off. Immediately we went back to inform the front desk, and asked for another room. The clerk promptly found us a king room on the main floor, which was an improvement. The housekeeping still was sub-par, with an unvacuumed carpet, dirty tub, spots on the bathroom mirrors and countertop, and unmopped floor with urine spots and hair. I was bemused to find there was a bottle of water on display with a note “Please enjoy!” (for $2.99!!!). The coffee available in the room and at breakfast was equally unpalatable. Breakfast itself was passable, although the eggs were rubbery and there was no brown sugar for the oatmeal. I guess I shouldn’t complain about free food. We were able to find three things to be thankful for: 1) the bed was comfortable; 2) the shower itself was lovely; 3) The wifi was adequate for video conferencing. Unfortunately, due to the many other issues noted above, we will not be likely to return or recommend this hotel. I wish we’d stayed at the Holiday Inn, which can be had for the same price.

Date of stay: August 2018
Trip type: Traveled as a couple
GMComfortInnKingston, General Manager at Comfort Inn - Highway 401, responded to this reviewResponded August 8, 2018

Thank you for taking the time to write such a detailed review. All your comments are essential to educating our staff about good and bad service. We will ensure your feedback will be given to all. Furthermore, I will personally supervise that all your complaints are addressed to ensure that these types of things do not occur again.

Reviewed August 6, 2018

Room was clean...desk was in a bad spot near the fridge at bottom of bed closest to the patio door....insufficient chairs in the room...One chair of a room with two double beds just doesn't make it comfortable for all occupants.

Room tip: No pool, gym or bar....elevator issues...Close to restaurants....Price was special for our reunion, overpriced otherwise...
  • Trip type: Traveled with friends
Reviewed August 5, 2018

We stayed her on our way to Toronto on July 30. We picked this hotel because it claims to be smoke free which we needed as my wife has allergies to tobacco smoke. We booked a room with a king bed and was given one that was ground floor right next to the front lobby doors. The room stunk of smoke and the designated smoking are was in from of our sliding doors. We asked for another room away from the lobby area and was given a queen room at the opposite end of the building. I asked to be charged for a queen room but the front desk said i had to pay for a king room even though he gave us a queen room. Thru out the parking lot were lots of tailgate parties with smokers everywhere.

Room tip: If you want a smoke free hotel then don't waste your time here.
Date of stay: July 2018
  • Trip type: Traveled as a couple
Reviewed August 5, 2018

A good location for travellers. Close to the highway, yet 15 minutes drive to downtown Kingston. Friendly staff and a standard room. A little difficulty in finding the location, but quickly resolved. Grounds kept clean and tidy.

Room tip: chose a room away from the 401 highway
  • Trip type: Traveled as a couple