“Great stay...except for having to change rooms”

Howard Johnson Inn Kingston
Ranked #24 of 37 Hotels in Kingston
Reviewed September 26, 2012

Our stay at the Kingston Howard Johnson was very good. Cozy rooms and very comfortable beds. Our only complaint for this trip was that the sheets on the beds in our first room were very obviously not cleaned. We notified the Front Desk immediately; the staff member on duty apologized and immediately found us another room. He even personally verified its state of cleanliness! We were very pleased with this level of service!

• Stayed: September 2012, traveled with family
Review collected in partnership with Howard Johnson

Reviewed September 24, 2012

Clean comfortable room. Breakfast more than adequate, Friendly,courteous staff. Location is convenient for local sightseeing. Only spent the one night and were well satisfied.Would stay here again if we return

The Morgan's

• Stayed: July 2012, traveled with family
Reviewed September 17, 2012

We were in Kingston for the Fall Fair. This hotel was within walking distance of the fair grounds. The rooms were nice and clean. They had obviously been updated since the last time I stayed here many years ago. They have a good variety of foods for the included breakfast...fruits, toast, cereal, yogurts, waffles, jus..ect. Staff was friendly and helpful.
This is the place to stay if you are looking for something decent at a fair price.

• Stayed: September 2012, traveled as a couple
Reviewed August 29, 2012

We just stayed in August 2012 my husband and I went to Kingston and Ottawa on our weeks holiday. The staff was great and a special Thanks to LISA our breakfast and day hostess she was eager to give us sight seeing tips. All of the staff were friendly and our room was very clean and bright. We were quite impressed. Our trip started in Burlington Ontario and we spent 6 nights. We do plan to return in the future and will stay again. Thank you again all. John and Kim

• Stayed: August 2012, traveled as a couple
Reviewed August 28, 2012

This hotel thinks of everything for a guest
Nice pool (small but adequate)
Very helpful, welcoming staff
Renovated room with 2 large beds, nice bathroom with extra sink outside of bathroom with vanity
Fridge and microwave
Nice picnic tables outside of the pool
Great location
Really enjoyed our 2 night stay

• Stayed: August 2012, traveled with family
Reviewed August 25, 2012

I went for a 2-day training at Kingston with a colleague and stayed and the hotel for 2 nights. The price ($89+taxes) and location (downtown) were the reasons we chose Hojo. Before we arrived, my colleague and I both stayed at Hojo previously and knew what to expect. But I have to say that we were impressed. Microwave and fridge were available in a 2-queen bedroom, wifi (stable) and parking were free, many drawers to store clothes and stuffs, room was spacious, everything was very clean, breakfast was included (very simple with tea/coffee, bread, bagel, yogurt and fruit), last but not least, my favourite part - there was an extra set of sink and faucet with mirror outside of the bathroom, we didn't have to fight in the morning in order to get into the bathroom to get ready for training! The staff of the place were very nice too. We met the manage on the first day and he welcomed us in a friendly manner. After we checked in we had trouble with the wifi so we called the front desk which was him answered the call, he then checked with us again in about 10-15 mintues later just to make sure everything was fine. The lady who was there the two days was also very friendly.

A few things that can be improved though... the AC is too old, made very loud noise when it was turned on. Also the AC is placed right next to the bed. Personally I don't like having cold air blows right to me while I am sleeping. Mirrors are placed too high up, both by the sink. sometimes there are people who are not as tall...

Overall a very pleasant stay :)

• Stayed: August 2012, traveled on business
HS G, Manager at Howard Johnson Inn Kingston, responded to this reviewResponded August 28, 2012

Thank you Somethingbluee for your review and taking the time to relay what you like and what we can continue to improve upon at our property. We will have new air conditioning units for next season which should run smoother/quieter and guests will be better able to direct the air flow. We are happy you enjoyed your stay.

Reviewed August 23, 2012

Me and my girlfriend spent a night here recently due to the relatively good reviews I found here on TripAdvisor while looking for a hotel near Kingston. I was happy to find that the rooms had been recently renovated and were quite nice for the price. The hotel itself is pretty dated and could use some renovations. However, I ran into problems when we came back at night and found the outside of the hotel (this is a motor inn style hotel where the room doors lead directly outside) was swarming with bugs. When we tried to get into the room, a number of mosquitoes and small insects which were circulating around the light on the outside hallway somehow made their way into the hotel room. We had to spend the next 15-20 minutes trying to kill all the mosquito's that got into the room. You would think a hotel would try to treat the area to prevent bugs from getting into the guest rooms themselves.

The next day, we decided to go to the continental breakfast. The breakfast itself is what you would expect for a small motel (cereal, waffle machine, muffins, etc.) but was very busy. This made it hard to get any food at the breakfast. What really was shocking though was that the person in charge decided that when the breakfast is meant to go until 10am, it meant exactly 10am. I was in line to get a waffle for about 10 minutes and right when the last person was done and it was my turn, she immediately shut off the machine and yelled at me that breakfast was over at 10am (it was exactly 10am on my watch). Soon after, a person nearby was halfway through toasting a bagel and she went over, shut off the machine and took the bagel out and snarled at her that breakfast was over at 10am. I then quickly tried to get cereal before she took it away and but was also scolded for doing that. After that, I was surprised that she didn't tell everyone to stop eating and get out of the breakfast room at 10am sharp.

I can understand that a hotel might not be happy if people are showing up for breakfast at 9:59 when it is supposed to be over at 10am. However, I think it's another thing when you go to the breakfast early enough (about a half hour before closing),wait the whole time because of all the people there but end up not getting much food because they decide to close once you actually have a chance to get food. You would expect the hotel staff to much more polite about it and let people simply take the food they wanted while they are starting to pack up for the day. I really don't see the need to start screaming at all the guests that the breakfast is over when they can simply take whatever is left while they start to clean up.

I usually make a point of going to the continental breakfast at a hotel if they have one and I have never ran into a problem like this. In fact, I've generally found that hotel staff are more than happy to get food for you if it's out or are just nice to talk to even if it is close to closing time (at least when I've stayed at chains like Comfort Inn, Holiday Inn, Country Inn, Days Inn, etc.). I probably am going to stay away from Howard Johnson in the future since they seem to have a generally seedy reputation and clearly have some pretty unpleasant staff (at least at this hotel).

• Stayed: August 2012, traveled as a couple
HS G, Manager at Howard Johnson Inn Kingston, responded to this reviewResponded August 25, 2012

Thank you t1542377 for taking the time to review our inn. Id like to say sorry for the lack of customer service during breakfast. Breakfast hours are from 7-10am but staff should never start shutting it down if guests are still eating or worse yet waiting in line and for that i sincerely apologize. I will be sure to talk to the front desk staff regarding this incident and thank you for pointing it out. We do hope to see you again.