“Not bad, once you get over first impressions”

Howard Johnson Inn Kingston
Ranked #27 of 37 Hotels in Kingston
Hong Kong, China
“Not bad, once you get over first impressions”
Reviewed November 1, 2011

I had read mixed reviews of this place, and was somewhat worried when I booked 5 nights here. I wanted a convenient and inexpensive place to stay while I helped with my parents move to Kingston.

As I drove in, I wondered what I was getting into. The hotel looks like a throwback to the 60's (or is it the 50's?), even though it has clearly had some paint thrown on in recent years. The neighbourhood - which I already knew from previous visits to Kingston - does not look great, even though it is not really bad.

Good reviews had mentioned newly renovated rooms, while bad reviews had mention the substantial renovations needed. I was therefore apprehensive as I opened the door to my room - and relieved to see that my room had been newly renovated.

In fact, once inside the room with curtains closed, you could well imagine being in any newly opened North American hotel chain: up to date decoration, nice choice of colors, spacious, separate wash basin outside the bathroom, flat screen TV.... really very nice and comfortable.

Breakfast was basic, but the dining room area was clean and tidy. Staff at the front desk seemed friendly.

All in all, I was satisfied with my choice, considering the rate I paid including breakfast. Would I come back and stay here on vacation with my wife and kids? Certainly not, as the appearance is not at all conducive to a vacation atmosphere, and it is not somewhere that I would really want to bring my kids. However, on my own it was fine for the time that I needed to spend in Kingston.

• Stayed September 2011, traveled solo
HS G, Manager at Howard Johnson Inn Kingston, responded to this review, March 5, 2012
Dear From_A_to_HK, thank you for taking the time to write a review, we are glad the room met your needs and hope you visit us again.

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (24)
  • Korean first
Leeds
Reviewed October 25, 2011

Previously when in Kingston I've stayed at the Econolodge, and would have gone back there if I hadn't found a great rate here at the HoJo. The two are close to one another (and there's a Super 8 between them, which I don't know), so I can compare them in this review. Both are clean and quiet, both had indifferent breakfasts - though there's a Tim's close by - so I'll just compare them where they differ. The HoJo is a two-story structure where you park at the door; the Econolodge (like the Super 8) has an inside corridor. My HoJo room had two sinks, one in the sleeping area and another in the bathroom (as well as a shower and tub), for maximum flexibility when several people are getting ready in the morning. The HoJo is five minutes closer to Queens and downtown - not much of a difference, but 15 minutes is better than 20 when it's raining. The HoJo internet connection worked well; I seem to remember some problems at the Econolodge. To sum up, although I was happy enough at the Econolodge, I've no regrets about switching to the HoJo and will probably make it my first choice next time I'm in town.

• Stayed October 2011, traveled solo
HS G, General Manager at Howard Johnson Inn Kingston, responded to this review, October 29, 2011
Thank you botafogoblogger for the great review that compares our property and the Econolodge. We are very pleased we would be your first choice when you visit again. Our goal is to have every customer leave with a smile. Hopefully we will see you soon.
Sydney, Australia
Reviewed October 20, 2011

Excuse the facetious review title but it has to be stated that, for its reputation - and considering the price - the HoJo at Kingston was actually pretty good!

PROS: price, cleanliness, friendliness of the reception staff (major pro), relatively modern furnishings and decor (renovations)

CONS: location (though really not that bad, just a 20 minute walk to the downtown core), exterior could do with a bit of renovation but again it's a minor con

On the whole, I could only think of two negatives which in my mind were not really dealbreakers. On the other hand, what it does have to offer - again for the price you pay - far outweighs any of the negatives.

For those travelling on a tight budget, I would definitely recommend the Howard Johnson Kingston.

• Stayed October 2011, traveled solo
Thank you mikey66e for the review and we are glad you gave us a try.
Toronto, Canada
Reviewed October 20, 2011

I stayed there two nights wile visitng my daughter at University. She is in her second year so I have stayed at several different hotels and this one is by far the best value I have seen. The room was clean and fairly new. It was quiet and there was a breakfast included. The older heater in the room was noisy and should probably be replaced in the future. I did not require it because the room was warm enough anyway. Unless something changes I will stay here in the future.

• Stayed October 2011, traveled solo
Thank you pkneary for your kind words. We are very pleased to hear you enjoyed your stay and considered it a good value. We have already replaced the older heating units with new ones. Hope to see you again.
Peterborough, Canada
Reviewed October 17, 2011

My husband and I stayed at the Howard Johnson Oct. 14 & 15/11. I had been at a conference at the Ambassador for the day and my husband met me afterward. When I first pulled up to the hotel I was a little unsure as it did look a little sketchy from the outside. My opinion sure changed as soon as I walked into the lobby. The woman at the front desk was actually smiling and seemed genuinely happy to see me. I asked if my husband had arrived and she grabbed my bag and said follow me. She took me and my luggage right up to the room. When I walked into the room I couldn't believe what I saw. The room had been completely renovated and it was very clean. The carpet was new. There was a flat screen tv on the wall above a nice big desk. The room also had a fridge and microwave and coffee maker. (if you are like me and don't like paper cups, you may want to bring your own mug) The bathroom was completely updated and our room had a separate area with it's own sink and vanity and mirror, so the second person could get ready while someone else was in the bathroom. The continental breakfast was fine (cereal, toast, apples and oranges, waffle maker, yogurt)
We loved that we were able to walk to the downtown waterfront and enjoyed the nice walk each day.
I would definitely recommend this hotel and the price was right.

• Stayed October 2011, traveled as a couple
2 Thank travellingdianne
Thank you travellingdianne for the postive review. Im happy Dawn was able to assist you and we are glad you liked the renovated room, hopefully we will see you again.
Ontario
Reviewed October 13, 2011

Stay was in October, was not interested in the ratings as just needed a place to lay my head...but oh my!! I was surprised! The rooms have definately been remodeled and when you see how much work has gone into them, you must realise the WHOLE place cannot be remodeled over night!! It is a courtyard type drive in old motel,right on the main street...and an old run down main street at that! However Kingston is a small city so it is just minutes to everything. I had a single room as travelling to an RMC event....I was sceptical of the remodeliing and asked the host if all the rooms were done..She said they only use the rooms which have been remodeled and showed me the most recent, which was a double! They are small old rooms, but done up as bright and airy as possible.The two I saw had european style fixtures, tile, and brushed stainless and glass shelving...lots of desk room, and flat screen wall mounted TV's.The value for the money was perfect for a 3 day stay,. I recommended the facility to other parents of RMC students.The "rise & shine" breakfast was like eating at home, so nothing to complain about...you deal with whats in the cupboard if you are at home!!And for the rates you must balance out what they can make available to you..but a waffle maker gets my vote(I just always dream they will have REAL maple syrup!!)
If you can read all of this review, one thing I brought to their attention, was they are installing lovely deep bath tubs...but WHO really uses a public tub...the depth I believe may be an issue for anyone with leg trouble, trying to climb in for a shower...best I could come up with for an issue! enjoy!

Room Tip: When you arrive ask to see a room recently remodelled, and then yours..I think you will be satistied...
3 Thank clem55
HS G, General Manager at Howard Johnson Inn Kingston, responded to this review, October 15, 2011
Thank you Clemm55 for the indepth review. When we finish the interior renovations we will begin the exterior. We are also installing a couple of tubs on the first floor which have a door to make it easier for seniors or anyone that has issues getting in or out of the tub. Hope to see you again and take care.
Montreal
Reviewed September 22, 2011

We stayed here for two nights on a recent business trip to Kingston. Overall a good experience - the staff at check-in were very friendly and helpful. Yes, it is in an area of town that may come off a little bit down on its luck but we had no problem walking to and from that area of town on a busy Friday and Saturday night. The breakfast looked ok for an inclusive deal but we didn't use it as we had breakfast at our meetings elsewhere. Our room was quiet and clean enough. The electrical outlets did look like they needed some work and the painting had been rushed in places (e.g. splashes around the ceiling line etc.) The in-house shampoo, coffee etc. were all good. Generally good and we loved the staff, and we slept well.

• Stayed September 2011, traveled on business
Thank you kittykat99 for the review. There are a couple of local organizations that are trying to revitalize this stretch. Most properties were car dealershops that have moved to bigger locations. They are talking about a mixed residential and business plan that would involve widening the sidewalks and having more tree's along with benches. Hopefully sooner than later. Thanks again.