“Perfect weekend getaway” 4 of 5 bubbles

Ranked #14 of 37 Hotels in Kingston
Upstate NY
“Perfect weekend getaway”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed April 26, 2009

We stayed at the Hotel Belvedere for two nights during a weekend getaway to Kingston. It was the perfect complement to our weekend. The Hotel was clean, the beds comfortable, and it had all the amenities you'd expect. Only a short walk to market square, restaurants and shops on Princess St, the location was perfect. The hotel and the room were charming and had a european feel. We loved the simple delicious breakfast each day of coffee and english muffin, and all the staff were wonderful. I can't talk to the value of the room, the only other time we came to Kingston we spent less but stayed in a very uninspiring Holiday Inn room. It's not modern or luxurious. But it was romantic and charming. Belvedere helped make this trip memorable.

• Stayed April 2009, traveled as a couple
1 Thank MattTraveller1976

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (27)
Calgary
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed November 4, 2008

We stayed at this hotel recently for one night only and enjoyed it very much. It is a really cool, historic hotel which we happened upon while walking around Kingston. We at first mistook it for one of the large, old homes in that neighborhood of Kingston and when we realized it was a hotel, we wandered inside to have a peek. We decided on the spot to book our last night there and we were not disappointed.

Our room, probably one of the more modest ones was priced accordingly, and although not luxurious by some standards, had a lovely big window which opened, a few nice antiques and a comfortable bed, and was very clean. It was very quiet at night which we appreciated.

In the morning we went and sat in the lovely lobby area at a table for two by a window. The desk clerk brought us a breakfast tray which consisted of toasted English muffins, cheese, jam, orange juice and very good coffee. There was also a large bowl of fruit with bananas, apples and oranges on a table. The clerk refilled our coffees and O.J. and brought my husband another muffin. It was, as advertised, a "light breakfast" yet it was extremely good and more than sufficient.

We checked out the ivy-covererd terrace and thought it would be a great spot to sit for breakfast or afternoon tea in the summer months. We noticed at least one of the rooms opened onto it's own private patio.

This is a very charming and beautifully kept old hotel which is well worth a stay.

• Liked — It's small-scale and charming old-English style and the more personal touch. Also it's location.
  • Stayed October 2008, traveled as a couple
ottawa
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed October 17, 2008

My husband and I try to stay in this hotel at least once a year. It's in a really cool part of Kingston (close to downtown) and each room is very different. We try to stay in a different room each year. I think this hotel is marketed as a business hotel and a family hotel but I've only stayed here as a get-away for my husband and I and I have to say, it works well for us. This is a QUIET spot. within walking distance to downtown and some great restaurants. I like the fact that it feels like a B&B without being a B&B. Each room is furnished with it's own antiques and has it's own bath, lovely linen and attention to small details like great showerheads and fresh scones in the morning with decent coffee. This is a wonderful hotel to go and hide from the world in luxury, comfort and quiet. For some reason, we've only stayed in the winter so I can only comment on that, but it's a cozy place to go in the winter and hide under the beautiful linens and regroup. I can't wait to go again this winter with my husband.

• Liked — Cozy...
  • Disliked — parking
  • Stayed February 2008, traveled as a couple
1 Thank maryeh
Pickering, Ontario
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 1, 2007

My husband and I just spent a weekend at the Belevdere. My husband picked this hotel based on a friend's recommendation and because he knows I love historic buildings.
We found the hotel to be very charming. I loved the authentic period furnishings and the staff were extremely friendly and accomodating.
I was surprised (pleasantly) to find the hotel had wireless internet access.
Breakfast was not extravagant but it was good and we were both satisfied with it. The fresh grapes were a nice touch.
Our bed was extremely comfortable and the sheets had a nice crisp feel to them. We did not have one of the whirlpool baths so I can't comment on that but the bathroom was very clean and functional.
We were within walking distance of all the downtown and waterfront attractions. It was a real treat not to have to take the car everywhere.
If you're looking for a modern hotel with all the modern conveniences(bars, restaurants, pool) , this is not the place for you. However, if you are looking for some old world charm and grace, I think you will find this a lovely place to spend a night or two.

• Liked — old world charm and grace
  • Disliked — window air conditioner - but understandable why it had to be there
  • Stayed July 2007, traveled as a couple
    • 5 of 5 bubbles
      Business service (e.g., internet access)
3 Thank mcleva
Toronto, Canada
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed April 21, 2007

Very nice hotel. Stayed 1 night for a visit to Queen's University in their cheapest room. Located very close to the eastern edge of campus across from the park; also close to downtown. Rooms are very clean and ornately decorated, but old (which is fine!) Lots of comfy pillows and great bed.

Breakfast is a little small. Would stay here again, however!

• Liked — clean
  • Disliked — small breakfast
  • Stayed March 2007, traveled on business
2 Thank TorontoCanadaEh
Washington, DC
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed September 12, 2006

The Hotel Belevedere is an "okay" place to stay. It certainly is not the nicest place I've ever stayed, but neither is it the worst. It seemed a bit overpriced for what you get, but the facilities were adequate.

The location seems good, though I am not very familiar with Kingston. It was no more than a pleasant 10-minute walk to downtown, and is only about 1 1/2 blocks to the water. Though we didn't venture out too far, the brief walks we took revealed a lovely neighborhood and nearby park.

The facility, itself, was charming, though I believe items such as carpet, drapes, etc. are due for replacement. The overhead light in our room ceased working inexplicably for a few hours, but there were lamps to provide adequate light. My husband and I thought the mattress in our room was a bit uncomfortable, but, again, overall it was "okay". Our room had an extremely small television set with cable (which may or may not meet your needs). Positively, the Hotel stayed very quiet with little noise - even though our room was close to the registration area and the hotel seemed to be full of guests the night we stayed there.

The staff was young (not sure there was a manager on site), but accommodating. We were able to stay at the Hotel on a last-minute trip after I corresponded with the Hotel staff via email and they put me on a waiting list - which proved fruitful. I have to say, I greatly appeciated the opportunity to have this email correspondence - to which there was always a swift response.

Please do not book here if you are expecting a bountiful breakfast. Breakfast consisted simply of a single English muffin, coffee, juice, and two small pieces of cheese (I actually thought the pieces of cheese were pats of butter for my muffin, until my husband pointed out otherwise). The staff will serve this to you on a tray either in your room or in the common sitting area. Newspapers are available in the common area.

If you are looking for a quiet, non-descript place to stay that could use some updating, I think highly enough of our time at the Hotel to recommend it. If the price was a bit cheaper, I would stay here again. But, if you're wanting a facility in perfect, up-to-date condition that serves a large breakfast, look elsewhere.

• Liked — Charming building, proximity to downtown
  • Disliked — Facility seemed a little worn, overpriced
  • Tips/Secrets — Look for discount opportunities!
  • Stayed August 2006, traveled as a couple
    • 2 of 5 bubbles
    • 2 of 5 bubbles
2 Thank ChachieWC
Stirlingshire, Scotland
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed June 15, 2006

Just backfrom a trip to Canda and stayed one night at the Belvedere. It was a lovely hotel which was tastefully furnished with comfortable beds . One our party was lucky enought to be given a suite which had a lovely roof terrace. Although the hotel is not licenced we were told us we could bring our own which we did. I also felt the price was very reasonable. I would recommed this hotel for anyone who wants something different, not the impersonal hotels like the big hotel groups. I will definately go back if I'm in the area.

• Stayed June 2006