“I would give a 3.5 if I could”

Ambassador Hotel & Conference Centre
Ranked #11 of 37 Hotels in Kingston
Toronto
“I would give a 3.5 if I could”
Reviewed December 29, 2013

This hotel is perfectly fine. Apart, that is from the extremely lumpy pillows that, after 2 nights, had both myself and my partner wishing we had brought our own. I'm not usually that fussy about pillows but I actually called down to the front desk the morning after our first night asking if they had anything soft and they told me that they 'would have to scrounge around in other rooms' to see what they could find. Not exactly the response I was hoping for. The only other complaint was the towels - the ones in our room were thin/worn and likely should have been replaced by now. The pool was fine apart from its distance from guest rooms (our daughter LOVED the water slide), the staff were all very good (apart from front desk who were fine but not wonderful), and we enjoyed great service at JM's for a late night snack. The room was comfortable, clean and modern enough. We've stayed at many Kingston hotels, we've been guests at the Ambassador a number of times and we will likely stay again since it's location is convenient for us but we would love to at least have available niceties like good pillows and soft towels.

Room Tip: Ask when you book what tower you will be in - the views onto the street are a little dismal, and som...
1 Thank CordeliaToronto
Hotelmanager1550, General Manager at Ambassador Hotel & Conference Centre, responded to this review, December 31, 2013
Happy New Year Cordelia. Thank you for posting your comments regarding your recent visit to Kingston and the Ambassador Hotel. I am delighted that overall you had a great experience and I do apologize that we were not able to rectify your issue with your pillows in a satisfactory manner.

We are constantly replacing our linens, pillows etc as needed. If you could contact me and let me know which room you were in I can make the necessary changes.

I do hope that you will return and please contact me personally so that I can book your reservation myself to ensure you get the quality of pillows and linens you expect.

All the best in 2014.

venicio@ambassadorhotel.com

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (142)
Brockville, Canada
Reviewed December 18, 2013

I have been travelling for business and pleasure for over 40 years and have stayed at countless hotels. Having said that, I have to say that the Ambassador Hotel In Kingston, Ontario is amoung the best. My wife and I had a wonderful stay there. Customer service was exceptional. We would highly recommend it!

Room Tip: Just tell the desk attendant what you are looking for and they'll make it happen.
  • Stayed December 2013, traveled as a couple
Hotelmanager1550, General Manager at Ambassador Hotel & Conference Centre, responded to this review, December 20, 2013
Hello AJB

Thank you for posting your comments. We are very pleased that you are delighted with our facilities and the service our team strives to provide to each and everyone of our guests.

We hope to see you back again very soon.

Ottawa, Canada
Reviewed December 17, 2013

Every person with whom I spoke - from the time I booked our weekend away right up until the end of our stay - was very kind and helpful. We had a birthday party planned on our second night there with an ice cream cake arriving a few hours before dinner and, with Keri's help, it was very easy to arrange for the cake to be kept in the kitchen freezer until after dinner. They even brought out matches with our cake, in case we forgot them for our candles.

(The only drawback was that both of the saunas and one of the whirlpools were under repair during our stay.)

I called Guest Services multiple times with [silly] questions about the services and the area, and they were always answering with a smile I could hear over the phone. Even the lifeguard staff at the pool were happy to help and and answer questions. We will definitely be going back!

Room Tip: If you want an outside-facing room, ask specifically. We had a room overlooking the Atrium, and it...
Hello Kerri Q;

Thank you very much for posting your comments and describing your experience here at the Ambassador during your recent visit. We are delighted that overall your experience was enjoyable.

I do apologize for the fact that some of the facilities were not available during your stay. We work very hard to keep everything running, but sometimes things happen that are well beyond our control.

We hope to see you back very soon.

London, Canada
Reviewed December 15, 2013

I have travelled extensively for work, to Kingston, Ontario. The Ambassador Hotel and Conf Centre is superb value and any time I return to Kingston it is my first choice for accommodation.
I see many families who have found out about the facility and love to make it their getaway choice as well.
Note: all hotels need to have some rules, just to make things run well; it's for everyone's benefit and as long as guests curb runaway expectations, I'd say this facility is superior to most. Here is why:
Staff are consistently genuine and helpful.
Rooms are comfortable and clean. I believe their maintenance staff are diligent and work hard behind the scenes to make sure all those little tell-tale signs of building fatigue are addressed.
The restaurant versatility is hugely worth noting. Whether you need a conference carried off without a hitch or perhaps you just need a quiet meal at the friendly bar or maybe the family needs to be attended by patient, cheerful servers, the Ambassador excels in all regards.
I have used the conference planning service as well. These folks really DO know how to do it right.
I have returned there with my wife for our own getaway trip. What a treat....seriously.
I've visited with buddies on a 'boys weekend trip'. A great spot in that situation too.
I have no experience with the spa facilities though I know many people use it. I expect it is equally delightful.
Note: the hotel is locally owned; the family is enthusiastically involved in the local community which may explain (partially) the dedication to top quality. Kingston and area is lucky to have the Ambassador in its midst.
# minutes from the 401...10 minutes from Kingston's core.

Room Tip: Feel free to advise front desk staff of the nature of your visit; they will suggest the best - fit l...
  • Stayed December 2013, traveled on business
Hotelmanager1550, General Manager at Ambassador Hotel & Conference Centre, responded to this review, December 17, 2013
Hello John F.. WOW.. Thank you so much for wonderful description of the service and facility the Ambassador has provided you over the years. We do try very hard to take care of our customers, our facility and our community.

Once again a HUGE Thank you for this glowing review and we hope to welcome you and your friends, colleagues and family back often in the future.

Reviewed December 11, 2013 via mobile

The Ambassador Hotel is the only place I stay while doing business in the Kingston area. I can count on very clean updated rooms, a friendly knowledgeable staff and great access to all Kingston and what it has to offer. The Ambassador has you covered.

• Stayed December 2013
Hi Stephen 121691.. thank you for the wonderful comments you have posted. We are delighted that you consider us one of the best hotels in Kingston.

We hope to see you back again very soon.

London, Canada
Reviewed December 11, 2013

After a decidedly rough start, Sarah absolutely turned around our stay. A fantastic night in the Ambassador Suite and a great evening in the pool for the kids. This family run hotel truly cares about their guests and they prove it. Holy geez, what a breakfast...wait until you see the food!! We will be back.

• Stayed December 2013, traveled with family
Hi Chris O, thank you for taking the time to share your experience with us. We are delighted that Sarah was able to make your visit an unforgettable one. We hope to see you back again very soon.

All the best;

Toronto, Canada
Reviewed November 22, 2013

I have stayed at the hotel overnight 8 times this year when I was in town on business. On each occasion the front desk staff were pleasant and efficient. My room was always available, clean and as ordered. The executive rooms are spacious, comfortable and a good value. The hotel is a 5 minute drive from the downtown and close to other locations of interest.I did not make use of the waterpark or other facilities but I am happy to recommend the hotel.

Room Tip: If you are likely to be returning ask for a discount and/or room upgrade to an executive room.
  • Stayed November 2013, traveled on business
Hotelmanager1550, General Manager at Ambassador Hotel & Conference Centre, responded to this review, November 25, 2013
Hello Greg P.. Thank you very much for posting your comments regarding your frequent visits to Kingston. We are delighted that we have been able to provide you with a "home away from home" .

Looking forward to welcoming you back on your next visit.

All the best;