“Good Hotel/Motel” 4 of 5 bubbles

Ranked #2 of 37 Hotels in Kingston
Sunshine Coast.
“Good Hotel/Motel”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 31, 2006

We had a nice large non-smoking room. Complimentary water was appreciated as it was very warm when we passed through Kingston. Comfortable beds, room safe, and a nice sitting area by the fireplace. This was more than I expected. The one thing the hotel lacked was an elevator to 2nd floor, we had a lot of luggage as we were travelling across Canada.

We ate at Kelsey's next door. Good food! Helpful waitress directed us to a movie theatre.

• Liked — Size of the room
  • Disliked — The light cover fixture in the bathroom kept falling down
  • Tips/Secrets — Eat at Kelsy's.
  • Stayed July 2006, traveled with family
      Location
      Check in / front desk
    • 4 of 5 bubbles
      Business service (e.g., internet access)
3 Thank StephenF

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (130)
Toronto, Ontario
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed May 21, 2006

Stayed 2 nights on our honeymoon. The room was very nice - big pine canopy bed, country/outdoorsy feel (rich colours, wood decor, quilt, etc.). The gas fireplace was a nice touch. We would stay here again.

We did not eat at the hotel or take advantage of the entertainment, so I cannot comment on that.

• Stayed October 2005
2 Thank tamosquito
Toronto, Canada
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed April 5, 2006

10 Good reasons to stay here: 1. big comfy beds.2. gas fireplace with timer in each room 3. frig in room with real cream for the coffee (WOW - no whitener!) 4. Fantastic double-head shower head 5. lots of task lighting (that worked!) 6. Sofa in front of fireplace 7. Black and Decker coffee maker and china cups and real spoons - no plastic or styrofoam! 8. TV speaker in bathroom 9. Lots of shelving and storage - esp. in the bathroom 10. lighted makeup mirror 11. heat lamp 12. cable TV 13. In room safe 14. Lots of fluffy pillows 15. fullsize ironing board and iron 16. curved shower curtain rod that makes for a very spacious shower 17. big room with a large desk for working
Sorry - I couldn't stop. This was just a great place to stop in Kingston and I liked it so much I am planning to go back with the family in the next few months. Yes, it is pine furniture and green walls. But the comfort of the room and the size and the thought that went into the amenities really impressed me. I had driven from a dismal hotel in Hamilton the night prior and this really was a pleasure!

• Stayed March 2006, traveled on business
7 Thank settogo
A TripAdvisor Member
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed March 25, 2006

We stayed at this hotel in November as we had stayed previously in 2000 and our experience then was great. This time it was not bad(stayed in worse but definitely much better as well)
We weren't impressed with our desk clerk at check-in. She imformed us we had to give a $500 damage deposit with our Credit Card refundable of course on check-out. We commented this seemed a little high for one night. She answered oh well that's the way it is. We asked about getting a cot for our second son and were informed none were available.
In order to reach our room we had to go around to the side of the building behind a dumpster and up some dingy stairs to our second floor room. Our room was adequate. It had a nice fireplace. The beds were comfortable enough but a little small. The bathroom was fine but quite small with only 2 towels. The decor in the room was made to be rustic looking. It was alright but getting outdated looking. The medium stained pine TV cabinet looked like something you'd have in a basement recroom.
I don't know maybe I'm too fussy, but I just found overall for the price($140) in off season, the hotel was a disappointment. Next time I'm in Kingston I'll definitely try a different hotel.

• Stayed November 2005
    • 1 of 5 bubbles
3 Thank A TripAdvisor Member
UK
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed October 27, 2005

We stayed at the BW Fireside Inn in Kingston for 2 nights earlier this month and thought it was the best Best Western we had stayed at (we have been to quite a few). We arrived after a long and not very good journey and were given a very warm welcome and a beautiful large room with very comfortable beds and a lovely fire in the room. We left our bags in the room and immeditately went for a reviving drink in the bar which is part of the Inn. It was wonderful! A big real fire, relaxing and comfortable settees and excellent friendly service. We then booked into the restaurant - again excellent. It was very busy - a good sign - and the food and service were first class. Breakfast the next morning was just as good. Our room was very spacious and the decor lovely. We had had a bad journey to Kingston, but were soon feeling lots better. Would definitely take a detour to stay there again. The only downside is the distance out of the main town area - not walking distance - you definitely have to get back in the car, but it is worth the slight inconvenience.

• Stayed October 2005
5 Thank curlycat
Scotland, United Kingdom
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed October 11, 2005

It would be easy to drive past this place and heading along Princess St. for the waterfront upon arriving in Kingston for the first time. Thankfully, we didn't make that mistake in 2003 and we returned in August 2005 with no hesitation.
The rooms are immaculate, staff friendly and efficient, resaurant top class but reasonably priced (a lot of locals dine here which is always a good sign).
It's best to reserve rooms direct with the hotel as there are normally room & meal packages available at negotiable rates.
The Fireside Inn is around a 5 minute drive from the centre of Kingston, but this a small price to pay as the experience of staying here more than makes up for it.
Stephan, the owner, made us feel really welcome and his (and his staff) hospitality was second to none.
A great place to base yourself for exploring the surrounding area too (cruises, 1000 islands, Prince Edward County, day trip to Ottawa, Kingston Mills etc.)

6 Thank Scottie_Bairn
Kingston Ontario
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed September 24, 2005

I stayed at this hotel this past weekend and as usual it is a very nice setting with the fireplace in the room. I always find it cozy and relaxing. My only issue this past weekend was the fact that I had filled out the door hanger indicating what I would like for breakfast the next morning....I selected my preference that I would like it served between 7:30 and 7:50am as that was one of the options.......It wasn't until the next morning that I received a call from room service indicating that breakfast doesn't begin until 8am and that it would be delivered then....hmmmm strange that the option was there on the form to have it earlier??? Eight oclock came and still no room service......I waited until 8:20 and called to be advised that they would look into my order.....in no time it arrived and the girl advised me that they were busy...well that is not my problem I am paying for the service, it is their responsibility to have the staff on hand for the demand. This incident will not result in me not staying here again just I will know in advance that I can't have my breakfast until after 8am.....gosh I could have slept in more!!

• Stayed September 2005