“Comfortable. TV speaker in the bathroom!”

Best Western Fireside Inn
Ranked #2 of 37 Hotels in Kingston
GreenLeadersBronze level
San Diego, CA
“Comfortable. TV speaker in the bathroom!”
Reviewed September 11, 2005

Stopped here for one night, and it was a pretty good stay. The whole place looks like it was frozen in the 1970s, but it was nice and comfortable. The rooms were country-themed, and pretty big with a desk, a little library of books, a working fireplace, a couch and a coffee table. Dark forest green carpeting, I felt as if I had left the city for the country. The really cool thing is that there is a TV speaker in the bathroom! They have a couple of "fantasy suites," that I was thinking were probably a bit no-tell-motel-ish, but I saw a few pictures and they look fun. Had a great breakfast in the on-site restaurant. It's not really close to anything touristy, but it was very comfortable and I'd stay here again.

• Stayed August 2005
5 Thank smsg

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (134)
Reviewed March 18, 2005

We stayed here and indulged ourselves with a fantasy suite. These are perfect for that special occasion or if you are just looking for something different or want to pamper yourself. These fantasy suites are top of the line in the hotel but well worth your money. Where else can you sleep in space ship or a hot air balloon? The first time I experienced a suite I thought I was in Disneyland! The amazing artists who designed these environments were comparable in their creativity and professionalism. And there are other traditional suites that are very beautiful and will make you feel like royalty, check out some photos on other sites. Inside the front door is Bistro Stephans and it is definitely my favorite restaurant outside of Paris! We have eaten her numerous times. Both my husband and I are vegetarians. I am a gourmet cook and am extremely difficult to please when eating out. My husband always jokingly says “Why risk a bad meal out when I can eat at home!” Though I live out of country I keep coming back to this one spot each year for our anniversary. Why? Not because it is so luxurious (it isn't) it is more of a simple, cozy quiet atmosphere than many places downtown. I imagine this is so because the food is so amazing here is more eating going on than talking! All dishes are elegantly presented, but still they taste so much better than they look! One bite and you know there is some kind of magic going on in the kitchen. You can tell they use only fresh ingredients, no skimping on quality here. The service is top of the line, every need is pampered with a smile. When booking I recommend you don't settle for the average room here ( there are plenty of hotels where you can do that) when they offer so many unique and creative options. All well worth the cost. I’d give the place 10 stars if I could! Even if you are not staying the night, it is worth a stop in just to sample the cuisine. Reservations are recommended, but not required. Don’t pass this one by!

• Stayed April 2004
5 Thank A TripAdvisor Member
Reviewed January 9, 2005

Some reviewers seem to be crazy about this hotel, whereas Ive found it to be average on both of my visits. Its far away from the water and the main tourist area, which is a shame. Rooms are fine, lobby is small as is the Front Desk so somtimes check-in is slow, but all in all, its ok.

4 Thank A TripAdvisor Member
Reviewed January 5, 2005

Best place ever. My husband and I have been coming here for over 10 years, probably about 2-3 times a year. We celebrate our anniversary here every year. Every room is gorgeous. The fantasy suites are unbelievable. The Northern Lights room is probably our favourite. Great service and great staff. There's nothing bad that I can say about this place. We'll be going there again and again.

5 Thank A TripAdvisor Member
Reviewed December 1, 2004

After staying at the Best Western Fireside Inn, and then reading the reviews on this site... I felt I had to contribute my own experience. Perhaps they've really imrpoved since my stay in February, or maybe these people just had more luck than I!

The service was horrible, the Front Desk clerk didn't say welcome, thank-you, enjoy your stay, ask me how I was doing. The interaction was quick and easy, something I really didn't enjoy. I arrived in my room to find it had a huge stain on the carpet, and it was fresh and wet. I never actually found out what it was, but it smelt quite odd. I can't figure out how housekeeping missed it.

I got my room moved to another which must have been their last sell room, it seemed like the utility closet. Rather than bother the Front Desk more as to that point it hadn't improved the situation, I stayed the night and checked out the next morning.

Avoid the Best Western in Kingston, it is a typical BW. Dingy, worn-out and substandard.

4 Thank A TripAdvisor Member
Reviewed November 18, 2004

This hotel has the greatest suites I've ever seen. We travel a lot and we like to stay in nicer rooms & suites. The Fireside Inn has what they call Fantasy Suites. We slept in a real lunar lander. The room was huge and the Jacuzzi was in a moon crater. We could not have asked for anything because the room had every amenity. We had a peek at the standard rooms on the way out. They are fantastic. Working fireplaces. Hand made furniture and beautiful quilts on every bed. This hotel gives you a reason to visit Kingston. We’ll go back just to get away & stay at this hotel. If I could give more then 5 stars I would.

6 Thank A TripAdvisor Member
Reviewed October 21, 2004

This is easily the most beautiful hotel I have ever stayed in. More luxurious that our stay in Toronto. Don't waste your time at any other hotels in Kingston.

1 Thank A TripAdvisor Member