“Bedbug nightmare in Room 103”

Best Western Fireside Inn
Ranked #2 of 37 Hotels in Kingston
Toronto
“Bedbug nightmare in Room 103”
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 7, 2009

Anyone checking into Room 103 must verify that it is free of bedbugs. My spouse was covered in bites after a night's stay there in April of 2007. The bites were so bad he had to visit his doctor. They lasted for at least two weeks. He called hotel management to complain several times and finally was able to speak with the manager who offered a night's free stay as compensation. Needless to say, we were not keen to stay there again and did not take him up on the offer. Bedbugs are a serious issue. Hotels must be vigilant about ensuring that a hotel stay doesn't turn into a medical emergency.

• Stayed April 2007, traveled as a couple
1 Thank Saturday27

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (130)
stoney creek, ontario
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed February 23, 2009

I stayed in room 217 on feb 21st. I paid for two rooms, one for myself and wife, another for an employee. We stayed in room 217. The room seemed like it wasn't cleaned at all when we arrived and it smelled of smoke (non smoking room). I thought I'd just make the best of it and douse the area with air freshener, and headed out for dinner and then to see a show.
When we returned to the room at the end of the night, the real suprise was hanging on the back of the bathroom door. Dirty ladies under garments! Give me a break! I left without even checking out. Unacceptable!

• Stayed February 2009, traveled on business
1 Thank TheAman1970
Carleton Place, Ontario
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed February 17, 2009

My Boyfriend and I just stayed at this hotel for our 3 year anniversary and we loved it. The hotel was warm and very relaxed. The rooms, we found were very cozy and was easy to relax in them. We stayed in a standard room and were very impressed with it. The only thing I could possibly complain about was the restaurant in the hotel (Tom's Place). Maybe it was because it was Valentines Day but we waited 45 minutes and didn't even see a menu! Anyway, I would certainly recommend this hotel to anyone who is just looking to get away to a quiet, relaxing and very cozy hotel. The Best Bestwestern I've ever seen.

• Stayed February 2009, traveled as a couple
Toronto
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed November 9, 2008

Excellent hotel! This is not your standard Best Western. The hotel gets full marks all 'round. Staff are welcoming, attentive, friendly from the moment of check in to check out.

Each interaction with the front desk staff was positive. Very attentive, interested and friendly. The lobby is welcoming, like a country inn. It’s simply a place that draws you in and even after a long drive gives you a sense of relaxation.

I ate at both restaurants and both were totally above hotel standard. Lots of local guests which says a lot. Food was outstanding (Love the Caesar Salad!), service was prompt, friendly and easy. Price about average for hotel food, but quality much higher. Great value. Room service breakfast was great. It arrived at the time promised, was hot and good! Oh, and love the little touch of carnations in a vase on the breakfast tray.

Room was great for family or business traveller. Pull out couch with coffee table and large flat screen TV beside a gas fireplace made this almost feel like home. Small fridge was great. Complimentary bottle of water beside the bed. Nice touch.

One thing I wasn’t so impressed with: the room I stayed in was dark, with only one window that doesn't open.

Bed super comfy. Rooms clean and bathroom well stocked.

This was a huge surprise of a hotel. Love it, would totally recommend it.

As for previous posting of bed bugs..no idea where that would have come from.. no sign of bedbugs.. rooms incredibly clean and well maintained. I almost didn't stay there because of that posting, and am so glad I went with my gut and did stay there. I asked about the situation when I booked the hotel and was given very clear answers which made me feel confident in my choice.

They have another property in Cornwall which I will try to get to as well. Please open more hotels like this in other locations!! Thanks, and I’ll be back there again.

• Liked — Service
  • Disliked — Room could be brighter
  • Stayed October 2008, traveled on business
Calgary, Canada
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed September 26, 2008

Since Kingston is busy on a seasonal basis, expect to pay more here. An expensive hotel. It was the most I paid on my Trip to Ontario. Double my Toronto hotel. The hotel has ample parking, is in a convenient location, and has fast wireless internet. The rooms are a good size and you get free water bottles as well.

When we got to the hotel, check in was a bit slow and it took a while for the staff to get us going. they also asked for information about our car license plate, make, etc. I thought that was odd since I wouldn't expect people to park their car their for no reason as it's not close to anything.

There is no elevator in the hotel and the fantasy rooms are on the 1st floor for the most part. When you check in, as for a room on the main floor. The rooms are big and have 2 big queen beds, sofa, desk, and coffee table. The pool also looked nice.

the service was less than desirable with rude staff. We came back to the hotel to stay an extra night on our way back and the lady at the front desk was insisting that only 2 people were allowed in the room. despite telling her that there will only be two people she insisted a couple more times that we only paid for two people. Can't anyone come with us to the hotel to help unload our stuff? Also, you can hear people in the parking lot so try to get a room away from there.

• Stayed September 2007, traveled with family
    • Check in / front desk
    • Business service (e.g., internet access)
1 Thank brownman
canada
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 24, 2008

Rooms need to be better cleaned. Had to ask staff to vacuum under the bed and around the corners of the room. Dust the Four poster bed and clean the cob webs from around the smoke detector.
At over $155.00 per night, a customer should NOT have to be asking for a clean room.

Wallpaper is coming off in the room as well. The ice machine on the 2nd floor did not work. The bathroom is new so that is a bonus.

The food however was wonderful and so was the staff in the dining room. We knew ahead to get the breakfast included deal and that was awesome and ended up costing only $5.00 each for a great breakfast with wonderful sit down service.

It should be noted that each room has a fireplace that would be cozy and warm in the wintertime. Be sure to ask for a ground floor room if you need one, I forgot and was placed on the second floor and even booked in advance, however this was my fault.

Stayed August 2008
Peterborough, Ontario
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 23, 2008

My husband and I were on our way home from a week long second honeymoon, and decided to have one more night "somewhere". We came across the Fireside Inn, and liked the looks of it as we drove past. We went in, and were blown away by the beauty and luxury of the lobby. (Can we afford this?) YES! We took the package, which included dinner and breakfast.The room was beautiful, quaint and cosy, like a cottage, with many nice amenities such as bottled water, very good quality coffee, and Royal Doulton mugs! The TV speaker in the bathroom was a delight! The bed was wonderfully comfortable. There was a problem with the TV, and it was replaced within minutes of calling the front desk. The very nice "repairman" impressed us with his smart jacket, shirt and tie. Turns out he was the Manager, Mr. Chris Williams! You know you are in a good place when the boss is willing to assist in such a way. Dinner in the dining room was a gastronomic delight. No salt on the table signifies a chef who knows his perfectly seasoned dishes stand on their own. Service was impecable, thank you Bruce! The roasted red pepper soup was to die for. Thank you to Jake, (The Soup Nazi!) who willingly shared "some" of the ingredients and method. Mine was Almost as good as yours. Also, thanks again to Mr Chris Williams for the complimentary cocktail in honour of our anniversary!
After a nice breakfast the next morning, we said goodby to the staff and management and vowed to come back. That one night made our entire trip, and gave us the best memory of our anniversary.
WELL DONE, and THANK YOU
John and Karen
Lang Village (Peterborough)

• Liked — staff professionalism, highclass atmosphere, great bed, well appointed room
  • Disliked — no elevator
  • Stayed June 2008, traveled as a couple
    • Check in / front desk
    • Business service (e.g., internet access)
2 Thank Randazzo