“Cute hotel, loved the theme room”

Best Western Fireside Inn
Ranked #2 of 37 Hotels in Kingston
GreenLeadersBronze level
Reviewed July 1, 2011

First off we were a little weary to book the themed rooms because of a couple reviews saying they were very dated. I decided to book the space room for my husbands birthday as a surprise. I must say it was so amazing. If you are looking for a fun different type room, this is it.!
The room is huge, big jacuzzi. Hilarious fun room! The couch in the room is extremely uncomfortable which would be my only complaint. It would be nice to be able to watch a movie in a comfy couch, but besides that, it was great. We did book with the special of paying full price one night and getting the next half off. I would say that is the max i would pay. If you can get a deal on the themed rooms, then its worth it. Full pop for them is a over priced.

The front desk staff very helpful.Probably the warmest, friendliest staff around. The restaurants are small but the food is good.

Nothing bad to say about this stay. We are already planning to go back to the space room! (when they are on sale )

• Stayed: May 2011, traveled as a couple
1  Thank brockj
There are newer reviews for Best Western Fireside Inn

Reviewed June 25, 2011

Wife and I stayed overnight after a busy visit to the area. This establishment has a superb English country inn look coupled with great service, an excellent pub (Tom’s), and a delightful dining room (Stefan’s). Our room was a fireplace suite with hot tub. It was very clean and had a great four-poster bed.

The pub serves food but we only had a pre-dinner drink. Great selection of exotic cocktails as well as the standard pub drinks. The dining room served an excellent meal (prime rib) with first class service and a reasonable wine selection. We had a most pleasant evening.

Kingston is a lovely city offering many attractions and with a hotel like the Best Western Fireside Inn one cannot ask for more. Obviously, we recommend it to fellow travelers.

Room Tip: Call to check on their special suites.
  • Stayed: June 2011, traveled as a couple
BWFireside, Front Office Manager at Best Western Fireside Inn, responded to this reviewResponded June 27, 2011

Thanks, so much we are happy that you enjoyed yourselves and hope to see you again
Front Office Manager

Reviewed June 25, 2011

After walking our luggage up the stairs and down a long creepy hallway (It reminded me of "The Shining") My husband and I get to our room and found it very out dated complete with wall paper peeling, the base board heater falling apart and some fake flowers on the wall that looked like they were dead and the in room safe locked opened once then we couldn't get it open again (we didn't trust it to put anything in there but wanted to try it out) We dropped off our luggage and headed out to dinner and a movie. Upon our return we attempted to lock the door without success the dead bolt wouldn't lock. At this point I had had enough and wanted to leave. We went down stairs to inform them of this major problem and that we wanted to be refunded. The manager came out and let me know (the very short version) that they would not refund our money and that if something like doors locking was so important that we should have checked that as soon as we got to the room. He was extremely rude and didn't even bother to apologize, though he did let us move to an equally dingy dirty room. Would NEVER recommend anyone stay here EVER!

• Stayed: February 2011, traveled as a couple
Reviewed April 3, 2011

Had no prior plans to stay here, but turned out we needed a last minute night in Kingston. I instructed my teenager to get on the web and find a decent cheap place to stay while I threw some things in a suitcase (I also gave him a quick overview on TripAdvisor). The hotel my boys like to stay at in Kingston was sold out due to hockey tournaments, and other hotels we've had experience at were more than I wanted to pay for what was essentially going to be a few hours zzz's before continuing on our drive to Toronto. The nightly rate at this place was very inexpensive - they had a special on that came in even cheaper than the CAA rate. I always assumed the web rate would be the cheapest - I've learned better. We called the hotel first to see if they had any availabilities, and they gave us a cheaper rate on the phone. I've learned something new! We checked in very late, front desk staff was very friendly and welcoming. The lobby is kind of this quaint rustic feel. Room was cute and comfortable - almost felt like we were in a cabin or something. Relaxing atmosphere. Although the room is old and you can tell, it was clean and I found no evidence of dirt or anything "icky" that would turn me off the stay. Did not try the fireplace but it did give the room a very pleasant atmosphere and something you don't normally see. There are no elevators so we had to carry our bags to the 2nd floor, but no big deal - traveling with a 14 year old son and a 12 year old son, they have no problem lugging bags up stairs. I would stay here again and now my teenager knows how to work the web to find hotel deals, and he's been instructed in the necessity of referencing TripAdvisor first. Very easy to find. Did not try the restaurant although was given a voucher for breakfast and there is no pool but that was no matter to us. The internet worked fine which, aside from cleanliness, is the most important thing to us!

• Stayed: March 2011, traveled with family
2  Thank clamc40
BWFireside, Front Office Manager at Best Western Fireside Inn, responded to this reviewResponded April 6, 2011

Thanks so much for the excellent review, hope to see you soon.

Cathy

Reviewed March 7, 2011

The room was a good size--we liked having a cosy sitting area across from the cheery, if cheesy, electric fireplace. The bath was squeaky clean, and, although the room needed a bit of updating, the beds were very comfortable. We heard some hall noise but not enough to bother us. We had a lovely dinner in Bistro Stephan and enjoyed the cooked breakfasts which were included with our room rate. The staff were all pleasant and helpful. It was just a little too far for us to walk to the historic downtown or to Queens, but, as long as you have a car or alternate transport, this is a very nice place to stay in Kingston.

• Stayed: March 2011
1  Thank 155004Nellie
BWFireside, Front Office Manager at Best Western Fireside Inn, responded to this reviewResponded March 9, 2011

Thanks, so much for the comments, and hope to see you again real soon.

Reviewed February 24, 2011

Taking a mid week break and thought we would revisit the Fireside Inn. Our dinner at Bristo Stefan was excellent along with the great service provided by Eric. Drinks before hand at Tom's Place were relaxing and enjoyable. Our room was clean and comfortable although a little too warm. Upon checking in no one explained that the wall unit was the control for the room temperature so we were a little uncomfortable. Breakfast next morning was good. What we got far exceeded some of the negative reviews we read. Would recommend a visit

• Stayed: February 2011
3  Thank rocky5252
Reviewed February 6, 2011

It's a small hotel with cozy rooms. Both the bar and the restaurant serve good food, the rooms are clean and quiet. It's comfortable for an overnight stay. I wouldn't choose this hotel for a "getaway" or "special occasion", but it's certainly good for business accommodation.

• Stayed: March 2010, traveled on business