“I Was Born At Night, But It Wasn't Last Night”

Holiday Inn Kingston - Waterfront
Ranked #12 of 37 Hotels in Kingston
Etobicoke, Ontario, Canada
“I Was Born At Night, But It Wasn't Last Night”
Reviewed November 9, 2013

On October 12 my wife and I stayed for a night at the Holiday Inn in Munising, Michigan and everything was perfect. This is not that.

On November 9 my wife and I drove from Toronto to Kingston for a weekend getaway, live theatre and sight-seeing. We had booked and received confirmation for a "Corner, Lake-View, King" room.

When we checked in the young man at the counter was pleasant and friendly but he's no poker player. My wife and I immediately could tell that something was wrong. When we got to the room door it was clear that it could not be a corner room. It wasn't.

I went back to the counter and told the young lady who was now there that I had been given the wrong room. Long story short, she learned that there was a problem in the room and it should have never been reserved to me. She made me some offers, complimentary this or that, the standard mea culpa, etc but I don't buy a word of it.. I decided to leave, abandon the theatre tickets and drive home to Toronto. It's a matter of principle for me.

I would like the Holiday Inn people who read this to know that I do not have a problem with the mistake that was made in the reservation system. Stuff happens, right? My problem is with the fellow who saw the problem and for whatever reason decided that dishonesty would be best.

My first impulse on writing this was to suggest that the desk clerk who for all intents and purposes lied to me should get his verbal warning, written warning and dismissal notice all at the same time. But then I recalled that this is the 4th time this has happened to us in our travels. I suspect that hotel staff are trained to do it this way, hope the guest doesn't notice and beg forgiveness if they do. Except in Pembroke when the desk clerk argued with me about it even when I produced my confirmation email.

Anyway I would never, ever stay in this hotel.

• Stayed November 2013, traveled as a couple
3 Thank Will_Shank
HolidayInnKingston, General Manager at Holiday Inn Kingston - Waterfront, responded to this review, November 13, 2013
Dear Will_Shank,

Thank you for sharing your opinion on your recent visit to Holiday Inn Kingston Waterfront. Our hotel does review and address these situations very carefully. I am investigating the various processes involved with your experience to determine where a communication breakdown occurred for immediate improvement.

Holiday Inn Kingston Waterfront

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (246)
massachusetts
Reviewed November 7, 2013 via mobile

Our king room with a view of the water was nice. No complaints. The hotel itself though was tired.
The fitness room, or more accurately fitness area, was barely adequate. First it was in the indoor pool area. Nothing like breathing chlorine and feeling the heat and humidity while exercising. And the equipment was old, rusty and not working correctly. Part way through a workout on an elliptical it shuts down. The view is nice though.
The breakfast buffet not good

Stayed November 2013, traveled on business
HolidayInnKingston, General Manager at Holiday Inn Kingston - Waterfront, responded to this review, November 8, 2013
Dear marcia27,

I am genuinely sorry to hear that your stay did not reflect the pride we take in caring for our guests and our property. Please reach out to me personally at sfollwell@hikingstonwaterfront.com if you would like to discuss your stay further. We would love another chance to show you the kind of service we work so hard to provide! Thank you for sharing your feedback.

Kingston, Canada
Reviewed November 5, 2013

The hotel has one of the best views in Kingston. I attended a Conference there in 2012 and was really impressed with the facilities, cleanliness and the great taste of the food. The staff is very friendly and I had a great experience!!

• Stayed December 2012, traveled on business
HolidayInnKingston, General Manager at Holiday Inn Kingston - Waterfront, responded to this review, November 6, 2013
Dear aline A,

I'm so happy to hear that you had a wonderful experience! Thank you for taking the time to fill out this review. The feedback is always good to hear as our hotel associates work hard to ensure guest comfort. We look forward to welcoming you back soon.

Holiday Inn Kingston Waterfrint
Brampton, Canada
Reviewed November 4, 2013

If you are attempting to book a sports team into this hotel, I would highly recommend you change your mind unless you want your team to stay at Fort Knox. The customer service was ABSOLUTELY DISGUSTING!!!!!! Kathleen who works at the front desk is definitely in the wrong business. Her customer service skills are terrible. The way she approaches her guests and speaks to them is inappropriate. Our hockey team stayed there over the weekend along with another 5 hockey teams and 3 other sports team and they did not allow our children to do anything but stay in their rooms. We even attempted to book a room so our parents and children can hang out and they said they were fully booked but yet the meeting rooms near the pool area were empty all weekend. Not only is the service horrible, they are liars!!! I would stay as far away from this hotel as possible. They were recommended by the hockey tournament but yet they don't sports teams by making it friendly for the children.

• Stayed November 2013, traveled with friends
3 Thank PATRICIA G
Dear PATRICIA G,

Thank you for sharing your opinion. Our hotel does review and address these situations very carefully. Safety and security for all guests are our first and foremost concern. Please contact me at sfollwell@hikingstonwaterfront.com to discuss this further.

Holiday Inn Kingston Waterfront

Travelers are raving about these Kingston hotels

WOODSTOCK
Reviewed October 30, 2013

After driving five hours in heavy rainstorms, it was nice to be greeted with a smile by the front desk. JD checked me in under five minutes-I had made reservations online at the Holiday Inn website. My room was on the east side of the hotel. It had a balcony and a lovely view of the harbour and ferry service. The room had a king size bed, desk, wingback chair with ottoman that I appreciated being able to put my feet up after a day of walking. There is a tv and refridgerator. WiFi and high speed internet are included in your hotel fee. The bed had a firm mattress and I had a very comfortable sleep-in fact I awoke thinking I was still at home and not in a hotel. :) Four pillows-choice of soft or firm. Room was very clean-my compliments to housekeeping Staff. Shower was hot and I appreciated the pulse showerhead. I would suggest the hotel upgrade to keurig commercial single cup coffee makers when they decide to spend money on improvements. The current one is okay but I have used keurigs in other hotels and like them better. This was a leisure trip and I wanted quiet and privacy which I got at this hotel. You CANNOT beat the location as it is on the corner of Princess and Ontario Sts-the heart of downtown. I walked everywhere from this location. There is a daily parking fee of $14. I did not go to the hotel restaurant but it was always busy. I could see an outside patio for the restaurant on the waterfront which I am sure is lovely in the summer. I did not use room service but many did by the looks of next day trays in the hallway when housekeeping was busy cleaning rooms. I stayed from Sat to Mon. Only two small annoyances: After walking all day, I came back to my room with many bags and coffee only to have the room keys not work. Perhaps all the keys are swiped on Sunday night as most guests are there from Fri-Sun but it was annoying to have to go back to the front desk from the 5th floor. A little "sorry for your inconvenience" would have been appreciated. Also the 3% Destination Marketing Fund Fee which is taxable and added to your bill I would have liked to have understood better. And I cannot recall this being mentioned anywhere when I booked. From my research on the internet it is a fee that is used to attract more tourism to the area. I am sure it generates a lot of income but it makes me feel like I am getting dinged when I am already spending money in the city. Overall this was a pleasant hotel with a fantastic location. I would stay here again.

Room Tip: East side view shows harbour, causeway, ferry service. Horizon is tree lined. West side shows other...
  • Stayed October 2013, traveled with family
HolidayInnKingston, General Manager at Holiday Inn Kingston - Waterfront, responded to this review, November 4, 2013
Dear Marilyn G,

JD is definitely a true hospitality ambassador and I'm glad to hear that he was able to get you in your room quickly and efficiently.

Please accept my apologies for your key card de-magnetization. As we strive to constantly improve, it is constructive feedback like this that motivates and gives us direction. Also, as we move our hotel into the future a refresh on our in-room coffee makers is in discussion - I will include your feedback when final decisions are to be made.

I'm happy to see that regardless it was still a pretty great stay! We thank you for being our guest and hope to see you in the future!

Bowmanville, Canada
Reviewed October 29, 2013

Nice and pleasant
was pleasantly surprised when I arrived. I must say that having so many good restaurants around make it all the better place to stay there. The rooms were quiet and clean and the staff were excellent. Lookup Hally-Marie and she will help you out with all your needs. She is awesome.

Room Tip: Fifth floor, king size beds, heated bathroom floor
  • Stayed October 2013, traveled on business
Dear amjedo,

This review is a great example of what we strive for! We pride ourselves in our wonderful hotel associates and their capacity for great above and beyond service. I am happy to hear Hollie Marie was this to you. I hope that we become your home away from home on your future trips to Kingston. We look forward to your next visit !

Toronto, Ontario, Canada
Reviewed October 29, 2013

The service was excellent!! Location is perfect. Everyone was very polite and helpful especially Holly-Marie. She always went above and beyond to help make my stay comfortable and pleasant. She was very bubbly and friendly!! I frequently visit for business and I have finally found the perfect place to stay here in Kingston.

Thanks Holly-Marie for making this my home away from home :)

• Stayed October 2013, traveled on business
Dear MellaBella80,

Wow, thank you for such a great review! It makes me happy to hear that Hollie Marie made your trip excellent. Our team is full of fun personalities, and are always interacting with our guests just to make sure everything is going well for them. They are also always willing to share some great insider tips on Kingston! Thank you again, and we hope to welcome you back to your home away from home in the near future!