“Better Places to Stay in Kingston”

Holiday Inn Kingston - Waterfront
Ranked #13 of 37 Hotels in Kingston
Reviewed October 20, 2013

We spent the weekend here as we were in town for Homecoming. The rate was one of the highest I have ever seen for a hotel of this calibre. We rejected the first room given to us and then they suddenly were able to find us a room with a king bed and a harbour view - room had been updated to a point and the bed was comfortable although looking at it this morning it really had seen better days....breakfast buffet was included in our rate and it was the standard fare of scrambled eggs (which had been done last night I am sure) and bacon and sausage and the usual breakfast dishes. Fresh fruit salad and choices of yogurt were a bonus. One of the waitresses had a bad fall in breakfast area because they had not cleaned up syrup which had been spilled on the floor....I was impressed that she continued to serve as she looked very shaken. Cleanliness could have been better - I found a huge cigarette butte behind the night table (I was looking for electrical outlets for the ipad)...there was a shortage of outlets in the room for charging, etc. It has a great location on the water and is within walking distance of good restaurants and shops. That said, there are what appear to be newer hotels a short distance away all on the water.

Room Tip: water side down towards the end is the best
  • Stayed: October 2013, traveled as a couple
HolidayInnKingston, General Manager at Holiday Inn Kingston - Waterfront, responded to this reviewResponded October 21, 2013

Dear skychaserCalgary,

Thank you for sharing your thoughts on your recent stay. I am sorry our room decor was not to your liking and will take your comments into consideration on future upgrades. Mary our superb waitress did have an unfortunate slip and fall to which we are reviewing our Health and Safety procedures to ensure a repeat incident does not occur.

If your future travels include Kingston, please contact me directly at 613.549.8400 ext 2600 and I will personally confirm your accommodation.

Reviewed October 18, 2013

We spent 2 nights here en route from Ottawa to Niagara Falls. We didn't have a reservation but chose the hotel on impulse. In retrospect I should have researched it in advance!

The hotel was clearly busy with some kind of university reunion going on in the town. Nevertheless the receptionist offered us a waterfront room for the 2 nights we wanted and gave us a 2-day ticket for the car park so we could come and go as we pleased. Our room was OK. However when I went to the bathroom in the middle of the night I was disturbed to see our invoice thrust under the door, indicating that the hotel expected us to leave in the morning. This proved to be the case (despite us having a car park ticket for 2 days). When I asked to stay for a 2nd night the receptionist prevaricated, saying the computer was down and she couldn't check the availability until some point later on in the morning. Well, possibly. I replied that in that case we would leave and find another (cheaper) hotel. At which point, our room suddenly did become available. So no harm done, but it all left a sour taste, and I will not be using Holiday Inns again.

If taking a Thousand Islands boat trip (as we did) make sure you use the service from Gananoque a few miles to the east rather than the one from Kingston itself. You are much closer to more of the islands. Highly recommended!

Dear Puffin77,

Thank you for sharing your thoughts on your recent stay at Holiday Inn Kingston Waterfront. I am happy to observe you found your room to be clean and our location to be wonderful. We did experience a glitch in our reservation system over the weekend you were referring to which unfortunately caused confusion. Please accept my sincere apologies for this.

If possible, could you please contact me at 613.549.8400 ext. 2600 to discuss this further.

Reviewed October 16, 2013

Pros: harbour/waterfront location, quality/quantity of food at breakfast buffet, good cocktail selection, air conditioning, great ice and vending machines, good soft drink selection, comfortable bed, friendly service,

Cons: Breakfast buffet ends much too early - especially on weekends, restaurant/room service refuses to cook breakfast menu items except during narrow morning window (there is no good reason for this), fees for all but basic internet access speeds, parking fees for an outdoor lot (birds made quite a mess), lobby was too small and crowded, elevators were small and very slow.

• Stayed: October 2013, traveled as a couple
HolidayInnKingston, General Manager at Holiday Inn Kingston - Waterfront, responded to this reviewResponded October 17, 2013

Dear Buchans79 ,

Thank you for providing your comments regarding your recent stay at the Holiday Inn Kingston Waterfront. I appreciate your feedback and look forward to welcoming you back soon!

Reviewed October 16, 2013

My husband and I stayed at this hotel for two nights. It had been a few years since we were there. The hotel is looking very rundown and neglected. First of all, the rooms are very drab looking - beige, beige and more beige. They lack colour to cheer them up. The rooms are in desperate need of updating. The semi-sheer curtain was full of snags, as if a cat had tried to climb it. The shower mechanism was very complicated to operate. The TV and / or remote didn't work properly. When we called the front desk / guest services / and 0, there was no answer for about a half hour. We were told that the front desk staff were busy with new registrations. The maintenance man had called in sick, so we had to wait until the front desk staff could check the remote control for us. They gave us a different remote, but it only worked for a couple of hours. The buffet breakfast was cold, in spite of the heating units under the "hot" serving dishes. The automatic gates for the parking didn't work for most of the two days we were there. All round the hotel was a huge disappointment -- way overpriced for what we got.

• Stayed: October 2013, traveled with family
1  Thank Lynn S

Dear Lynn S,

Thank you for sharing your opinion on your recent stay. I am sorry our guest room colour scheme did not appeal to you.

Please also accept my apologies for the TV remote which was not functioning; I am attempting to learn why this occurred and how to avoid this situation in the future.

Should your travels land you back in our area, please contact me directly at 613.549.8400 ext 2600 and I will personally confirm your accommodations.

Regards,

Reviewed October 14, 2013

We picked this location because we wanted to be within walking distance of the waterfront. The staff were both friendly and helpful. Our room looked out over the waterfront, and with the fall colours, the view was spectacular. The room itself was very clean and well furnished. They had an indoor pool, which was well maintained. They charged $14 a night for parking, this trend of charging for parking is one of my pet peeves. This price was at least more reasonable than the $20 I had to pay at a Best Western this summer in Niagara Falls. Princess Street has many stores and restaurants within walking distance of the hotel. We went to Greco's Wine Bar and Grill, it was a delicious meal. We didn't eat breakfast at the hotel, so I can't offer an opinion on that aspect of the service.

• Stayed: October 2013, traveled as a couple
HolidayInnKingston, General Manager at Holiday Inn Kingston - Waterfront, responded to this reviewResponded October 15, 2013

Dear ycnanb,

Thank you for taking the time to write a review for us! I'm so happy to see that you enjoyed your stay and the wonderful sites in downtown Kingston. We hope to see you again soon!

Reviewed October 14, 2013 via mobile

I had the pleasure of staying in this beautiful location. Close to all major attractions and walking distance to the many nice restaurants Kingston has to offer. If you book a stay ask for a King Room with harbour view. You get a balcony with a beautiful view. I especially enjoyed opening my patio door and breathing the nice fresh air, you don't get this too often in a hotel these days. The staff is awesome especially the front desk Manager. If you bring up an issue he is quick to respond. The rooms need a little maintenance but they are very clean. The bed is comfortable and there were a lot of towels in the washroom. Good value for your money. I will definitely be back next time I visit Kingston. Thank you for making my stay very pleasant. Emily

Stayed: October 2013, traveled on business

Dear Emily_Cattelan,

Nick is definitely who you want to chat with about anything and everything there is to see while visiting our great city! I'm glad to hear that he was able to get you what you needed. Thank you for taking the time to write us a review. Every comment is very much appreciated. I'm happy to see that you had a wonderful trip. We look forward to your next stay with us!

Reviewed October 14, 2013

We had a nice stay there while touring Kingston Pen. Staff very friendly and helpful. Room are ok but in dire need of updating.
TV was small and very old.
Clock radio was another generation.
Fairly clean but need refurbish before we would return. High charge for parking.

Room Tip: Waterfront view is preferable but balcony is small and boring.

Dear Scottalanmclean,

Good morning from a warm sunny Kingston. The Prison Tours have proven to be a great attraction in this fine city - glad you were able to get a ticket!!

Thank you for commenting on your recent stay at Holiday Inn Kingston Waterfront. As we focus in on our plans for refurbishment I will include your feedback for renovation purposes.