“A Worn and Tired Hotel with a Beautiful View”

Holiday Inn Kingston - Waterfront
Ranked #12 of 37 Hotels in Kingston
Toronto, Canada
“A Worn and Tired Hotel with a Beautiful View”
Reviewed July 12, 2008

I stayed in this hotel about 4 years ago, and it was already starting to show signs of being worn out and old. Fast forward four years, and t is obvious that non renos have been done since that time. The carpets were old and had a musty smell, and the matresses felt a little lumpy. However, the room as clean and had a beautiful view of the lake from the large window and the patio. The hotel staff were very polite and professional.
Had it not been for the discount I got when I won this hotel on Priceline, I would not have stayed here. If you're paying the regular rates, the Radisson is in far better shape than the Holiday Inn. Hopefully they will renovate the Holiday Inn soon, as it really is in a wonderful location.

• Liked — views of the lake
  • Disliked — stale smell, worn out furnishings and carpet
  • Stayed July 2008, traveled as a couple
    • Check in / front desk

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (249)
Ottawa
Reviewed July 1, 2008

The last time we stayed here - 5 years ago - the hallways and rooms were really getting shabby. When we won this hotel on PL, I was a bit concerned. Sure the location is fabulous, but in the same area the Raddison and Four Points are both newer and in better shape.

I was pleasantly surprised to find that the halls and rooms have been updated. The Air Conditioner needs to be replaced - it was very noisy - and many parts of the exterior looked old.

If I had to pay retail, the Raddison or Four Points would still be my prefered hotels in downtown Kingston, but for $70 less the Holiday Inn is much better than it use to be and a fair value

• Liked — Location
  • Disliked — Air Conditioning
  • Stayed June 2008, traveled as a couple
Upstate New York
Reviewed May 24, 2008

My husband and I gambled with Priceline and ended up at the Holiday Inn - Kingston Waterfront. After reading the reviews I was a little nervous about staying here.

The hotel was easy to find and the front desk staff was pleasant and checked us in quickly and even made sure we had a room with a nice view. The room was obviously a former smoking room and had the stale smell of cigarette smoke but I have been in worse. The room was larger than I expected and offered a great view of the marina and harbour. There was a sliding door that opened on to a small balcony. We both spent a lot of time gazing out over the water. Beautiful!

The room was tired looking but appeared nice and clean . I inspected the bathroom which was also spotless until I noticed dirty towels hanging behind the door. A quick call to the front desk and housekeeping arrived loaded with a complete new set of towels and enough cleaning supples to reclean the bathroom if necessary. Both the front desk staff and housekeeping handled the little problem to perfection. I was very impressed.

The room had a refrigerator and coffee maker which is always convenient to have. The water pressure in the shower was wonderful and didn't peel our skin as a previous reviewer posted. The curtains on the sliding door blocked out all the light from outside which is something I really appreciate. I also enjoyed the fact there was a screen door so we were able to air out the room with out letting in the bugs.

We didn't use any of the hotel services as we were just up for one night to conduct some personal business. We did enjoy walking around the waterfront area. Lot's of quaint shops to explore.

I have been in nicer hotels but you can't beat the location of this Holiday Inn.

• Liked — The location, right on the waterfront. Great views.
  • Disliked — The smell of stale cigarettes in the room.
  • Stayed May 2008, traveled as a couple
    • Check in / front desk

Travelers are raving about these Kingston hotels

Milton, Canada
Reviewed May 8, 2008

I was in Kingston again this week for some company meetings, and while I stayed in a different hotel several of my colleagues stayed at the Holiday Inn. Hotels in Kingston are inexplicably expensive, so it's important to me anyways that you get good value for the money. Anyways, this reminded me to post a review of the hotel that I wrote on my blog about a year ago. It still holds true today.

----

Piercing needles of fire! (aka Kingston Holiday Inn)
It was recommended that when in Kingston this week I should book the Four Points by Sheraton. I ignored that advice, because when I went into the web booking tool of the corporate travel agent they had the Holiday Inn marked as “Company Preferred” with discounted rates and the whatnot. So I figured I would give it a try…

I had a good sleep last night, and while the bed was a little firm for my liking the fan on the air conditioning unit hummed away consistently all night and lulled me to sleep quite comfortably. I woke up refreshed in the morning and was literally thinking to myself as I stepped into the shower “this place is just fine, I’ll come back here again for sure”. That is when I was greeted by the piercing sting of an overzealous shower head, with all of the pressure of the city’s water supply being forced heroically through its 10 little holes. I winced as I rushed through my shower, and had to think twice before rinsing off my face for fear of damaging my corneas. I’m all for water pressure, but seriously this was just painful!

I’m back in the Holiday Inn tonight, and I’ll put on the body armour for tomorrow’s shower but I think that’s the last stay for me at the Holiday Inn in Kingston.

• Liked — Location
  • Disliked — Aging facility, painful shower
  • Stayed April 2007, traveled on business
Saskatoon, Canada
Reviewed April 16, 2008

I have stayed at this hotel, 3 years in a row now. Each year you can see the signs of age and neglect. Wall paper is peeling, old floor tiles, vanities are faded and it is not a clean enviroment at all. There was dirt under the sink, behind doors, ick. The location is breath taking but that is overpowered by the obvious run down effect. Not next year I tell you.

• Liked — Water front location
  • Disliked — old, tired, dirty, run down
  • Stayed April 2008, traveled on business
    • Check in / front desk
    • Business service (e.g., internet access)
Ottawa
Reviewed April 2, 2008

My family of 3 stayed at the Holiday Inn Kingston - Waterfront the last weekend in March for my son's hockey tournament. There is a restaurant on the top floor which is rented out as a banquet hall and is directly above many of the guest rooms. On the Saturday night there was a party in the banquet hall and the noise was unbelievable! It ranged from being able to hear very clearly what songs were being played to a loud clicking noise, I assume from people on the dance floor. This clicking noise was keeping guests awake 3 floors down from the banquet hall. The party ended at 1am, but then there was moving of tables and chairs that was as loud as the party and lasted until 2am. After many hours of complaining, from many, many guests, the night manager agreed to refund the charge for that night, but only to find out upon checking out that the manager on duty the next morning had reinstated the charges claiming that the night manager did not have the authority to give us the refunds. After much more arguing, they again agreed to refund us that night’s fee. Hard to imagine ever staying there again.

• Liked — Location
  • Disliked — Noise from banquet hall
  • Stayed March 2008, traveled with family
    • Check in / front desk
    • Business service (e.g., internet access)
Ontario Canada
Reviewed September 30, 2007

I travel extensivly and this is the first bad review I have ever written. The only good thing I can say about this hotel is the location - wonderful. We are a family of 4 - two adults and 2 children attending a wedding in Kingston. When we arrived at 1:30 our rooms were not ready - no big deal - came back at 2:15 still not ready - when we asked if we could have a guest room to change - no but we were directed to the public bathrooms with two stalls to get changed. After the wedding we came back to our room - my five year old son burnt his hand because the bathroom tap did beyond hot water or a drizzle of cold. The fan didn't work because it was jammed with dirt, the sink had black marks and I thought - I bet they would come off - a kleenex and some soup and they started to leave, the tub had black mold around it and the tub was so dirty and stained my 11 year old daughter (who loves to camp) would not shower in it. When my husband went to use the shower - it didn't work - I had to jimmy the tap to get the shower to work. My sister had pubic hair in her tub so I guess I was lucky. Oh cigerette butts on the balcony - we don't smoke! The staff was non-helpful. Tried to get a drink in the lounge I guess in the afternoon they don't like to serve - took forever even though we were the only ones there. We felt this hotel was being run by University students - not professional! Front staff other than a very helpful caring young woman - the rest couldn't have cared less. Location - great - view - great NOT worth $200 a night!!!!!!! Many wonderful hotels in Kingston with good locations and higher standards! Oh yes and cheaper!

• Liked — location
  • Disliked — rooms were awful!
  • Stayed September 2007, traveled with family
4 Thank daydayday0
Travelmanny, Management at Holiday Inn Kingston - Waterfront, responded to this review, November 28, 2007
Thank you for your candid review. Please note that our check-in time is 3:00pm everyday, in order to ensure the cleanliness levels are maintained. When looking for an early check-in, the availability of your room will vary depending on a number of circumstances. If you were part of a group block, such as a wedding, we want to ensure that your room will remain with the rest of the wedding group. It is likely that we did not have the room available prior to the 3 PM check in because the room was occupied the previous night. As for the water, our taps all have a temperature control valve that is meant to prevent scalding due to hot water, however, as with at home, it is still crucial to supervise young children when dealing with potential dangerous situations.

We are continually looking for feedback from guests like to you to prevent situations such as yours in the future. Be it through re-training, making procedural changes, or replacing the staff responsible. Our goal is to maintain a consistently high level of service and to provide the best product for you and your family.

I realize this stay may have been a bad experience for you, but I should point out that for every bad experience, there are 99 great experiences and I urge you to give us that second chance to make your next stay on of the greats.