Courtyard by Marriott Kingston Highway 401 / Division Street
Ranked #3 of 37 Hotels in Kingston
Oakville, Canada
“Great place”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 5, 2014

This is a new offering in hotels in Kingston. As such it was clean and fresh and an overall great place to stay. Rooms were spacious. Fun shopping, dining and entertainment within walking distance. And just off the highway for easy traveller access.

• Stayed August 2014, traveled with family
    • 3 of 5 stars
    • 4 of 5 stars

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (97)
Toronto, Canada
4 of 5 stars Reviewed July 23, 2014

Nice room, got a reasonable rate. Close to the 401, close to restaurants etc. Unlike most roadside hotels this place had no free breakfast. With cheap choices around we didn't go for the restaurant in the hotel. Overpriced we thought.

Also no bathtub in our room, just a shower. A trend we don't really care for.

Stayed July 2014, traveled as a couple
CourtyardMarriottGM, General Manager at Courtyard by Marriott Kingston Highway 401 / Division Street, responded to this review, July 31, 2014
Greetings from Kingston!

Thank you very much for staying with us and taking the time to submit a review here!

We are happy to hear that you enjoyed your stay with us and appreciate your feedback.

We do not provide a complimentary breakfast, as we strive to provide a quality, freshly prepared and served experience with a wide variety of options. We also do have rates with options of included breakfast that are a great deal for parties of two and especially those with children.

Our hotel has a variety of rooms with either a tub or a shower only. That is certainly a question we neglected to pose upon your check-in. Please accept my apologies for that. If making a reservation, please do not hesitate to request a room with a tub. We would be most happy to oblige.

Thank you and have safe and happy travels!

Yours in hospitality,
Matthew Fry
Mississauga
4 of 5 stars Reviewed July 23, 2014

Brand new hotel! Everything impeccable, including the rooms and decor. Close to shopping and restaurants. Pool and waterslide open on time and the kids had a blast. Not worth buying the breakfast package. It is NOT a continental breakfast as I thought but, given a choice of only a few pre-selected food choices. Almost everything on the menu had eggs so, if you don't like eggs, you're going to be hungry! Would recommend the stay here without breakfast.

Room Tip: upgrade to a suite
1 Thank Mushroom45
new england
3 of 5 stars Reviewed July 22, 2014

We booked a spur of the moment trip to canada and decided to stay at this hotel based on the pics of the pool. We had a ton of traffic so got there and went with our original plan to hit the pool for the first hour of waterslide then get dinner, then shopping. It's supposed to be open at 5. By 5:20 my husband called the front desk from the pool and apparently it's open when the lifeguard gets there, not right at 5. We were really annoyed as we were only there one night and specifically booked it based on the waterslide opening at 5. If there would have been a sign posted, we would have gone on the latter end instead. So in the end he had about 30 minutes and then we had to pull him for dinner and never had the opportunity to go back to the slide as of course it's not open in the morning.

The room itself was dusty. There was dust everywhere, on the phone, headboard, dresser. We usually bring wipes to clean up if we need to (my son has asthma) but we rarely need them. I used almost all my stash in this room.

The staff was OK but I would choose another hotel on our next trip.

Stayed July 2014, traveled with family
2 Thank puff007NewEngland
Hello from Sunny Kingston,

I'm really sorry to hear of that disappointment. Our lifeguard was late for the evening and we do require a certified lifeguard to oversee the operation of the waterslide. It is, in fact to be open and operational by 5 not when the lifeguard shows up (they are to be here earlier to set up and be ready).

This particular lifeguard is no longer with us for these very reasons. While it does not correct your experience, it certainly helps to avoid similar instances in the future.

Regarding the dust...that something that we have been focusing on, especially in our busy season. Quite simply, there's no excuse for that. The rooms are cleaned on a daily basis, and missing that task is not an option.

Not only has this been a focus, but we have been using examples such as your review to help reinforce the importance.

Once again, please accept my sincere apologies on behalf of the team here at The Courtyard by Marriott Kingston. Being a top hotel is our goal, but we certainly fell short of that over the course of your stay and I am sorry that is the case.

Please feel free to message me or call the hotel directly to discuss further @ 613-548-7000

Thank you for the review and we hope the rest of your travels have been much smoother.
Toronto, Canada
4 of 5 stars Reviewed July 20, 2014

About 15 minutes from downtown but the location is ideal with close access to HWY 401. There is ample parking which would not be the case with the hotels downtown. Rooms are large, clean and comfortable. Check in staff were friendly and pleasant.

Bowmanville, Canada
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 19, 2014

My husband had to go to a specialist in Kingston so we decided to stay at the Courtyard by Marriott in Kingston. We were greated by a lovely young lady who was very helpful and very well trained. The lobby was cleaned and our room looked very fresh and clean. It was very refreshing to see nice bright colours and upgraded furniture. The whole experience was very pleasant. The only thing that could be added is a complimentary breakfast in the morning.

Room Tip: We were on the top floor it was extremely quiet. It your best choice.
  • Stayed July 2014, traveled on business
      Location
Peterborough, Canada
2 of 5 stars Reviewed July 17, 2014

After spending the previous 2 nights at a Hampton Inn, this hotel highlighted how poor customer service can have such a negative effect on a guest experience.

The hotel itself is very nice, clean and provides good rooms and having stayed here before we thought it was a safe bet to come back, however our experience this time around has left me in no doubt this will not be a hotel I will be visiting again.

The receptionist that dealt with my family and I on check-in was very abrupt and rude. All I did was ask why a $200 dollar deposit was necessary in addition to full payment at check-in, and I was made to feel that I had no right to ask. I explained that I had stayed in a hotel in the U.S. two nights previously and didn't have to pay anything until departure, so I was inquiring why this was necessary, initially I was ignored, then the response was "there in a different country and there different"!

Had it not been for the fact I had my family with me at that point I would have cancelled the booking there and then, however I choose to back off and let it go. The ironic thing was after walking through the reception area on several occasions during our 2 night stay, my family and I were totally ignored by this member of staff and made to feel unwelcome.

Well Courtyard Marriott, Kingston - this member of staff has just lost you a customer as there are plenty of other hotels out there that understand the importance of good customer service.

Room Tip: If you have children with you I would recommend a room on the ground floor for ease of access to the...
    • 3 of 5 stars
      Location
    • 1 of 5 stars
Hello and Greeting from Kingston!

I am sorry to hear that your experience was not quite as expected.

I wish to apologize for the manner in which the message was delivered regarding our deposit requirements.

Each hotel will have it's own set policies in terms of deposit requirements. With any form of payment, be it cash or credit card, we ensure that payment is available as a form of security. A credit card will have an authorization of the total cost of room and taxes, plus a further amount to cover incidentals, or in far less frequently worst case scenarios, damages or loss.

This is a similar policy for guests wishing to pay via cash or debit. A charge of the total room and taxes is processed, along with a deposit to cover incidentals, etc. Our hotel requires $200. This amount is completely refundable, assuming no additional charges are added to your guest folio.

I hope that helps clarify the policies and the fact that that will vary from hotel to hotel.

All that said, it seems our associate delivered the message in a manner unfitting of the service you rightfully deserve. For that, I must apologize.

Rest assured, we have taken this as a coaching opportunity and reviewed the matter with the associate to ensure a similar situation does not arise in the future.

If you wish to discuss the matter, please do not hesitate to message me or call the hotel directly at 613-548-7000.

Yours in hospitality!