Courtyard by Marriott Kingston Highway 401 / Division Street
Ranked #4 of 37 Hotels in Kingston
Ottawa, Canada
“New and clean”
Reviewed December 10, 2012

I stayed at this hotel on a Saturday night with my two young adult daughters. I chose this hotel because it is new, and I was tired of staying in older hotels which are often shabby and dated. This hotel is located near highway 401, so it lacks appeal in its surroundings. It is l in a very commercial area, which means restaurants and a shopping outlet are adjacent, but don't expect a scenic view. Downtown is about a ten minute drive away. Parking is free. We heard no sounds from outside.

Our room was clean and nice. We had a king bed and a pull-out couch. Everything worked well. There is no bath, only a shower, and watch that you don't leave your bathing suit hanging on the hook behind the bathroom door when you leave. The coffee in the room is not worth your time, so go down to the lobby for complimentary coffee if you want some.

We used the pool and hot tub, which were clean and new. There were no change facilities other than a washroom, so you will probably want to change in your room before coming down.

The biggest disappointment was the "bistro", which was nothing more than a cafeteria in the main lobby with limited service and hours. I had paid extra for a full breakfast in the bistro, but it was self-serve with plastic cutlery (they were out of clean cutlery). Only two staff were working very hard to serve everyone on a Sunday morning, so there were some waits. Coffee was in a paper cup. Food was good, but it was not what I would describe as a "bistro" experience at all.

Staff was really friendly and helpful. Be prepared to make up your pull-out bed yourself. I asked for assistance with it, and the reaction was a little resistant. Nonetheless, when I persisted, they did provide the service promptly and the housekeeping staff were very friendly. I also got excellent service from housekeeping when I called to report that I had left my bathing suit behind.

I would recommend this hotel to families and people passing through. There were some hockey teams staying there, but the noise was minimal. It's not cheap, but hotels in Kingston are pretty pricey overall. If you want the character of Kingston, you might prefer to stay downtown on the water.

• Stayed November 2012, traveled with family

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (105)
Belleville, Ontario, Canada
Reviewed December 5, 2012

Our daughter turned 15 on the weekend and so we took her and a friend to Kingston for the weekend. Shopping and fun was our goal. After reading some reviews for this hotel I was a little nervous and did alot of shopping around.
I decided to call the hotel direct rather then booking on line. The lady who answered the phone was terrific, she took the time to explain packages and even suggested I go on line to see if I could get a better price. I did and couldnt so called back the hotel to make the booking. Once again fantastic service.
We arrived at the hotel at 2.30pm (check in is 3) check in experience was so welcoming, even though other people were behind us waiting she did not rush us but took the time to make us feel very welcomed. Our room was larger then the average hotel room and spotless! Our daughter had a very cute birthday card which was hand made! from the staff and a plate of brownies. She couldnt believe it, every year we spend her birthday at a hotel but never has any hotel taken the time to aknowledge her birthday. Let alone a hand made card...This was above and beyond and so very appreciated. The next morning for breakfast ( we had bought the family package, well worth the value) the resturant staff were wonderful, the girls wanted pancakes which is not on the menu....but no problem the lady who served us said she would be happy to make them pancakes! Once again above and beyond any other hotel experience we have had, and its been many! Several times during breakfast we were asked if we needed any else, was everything ok.....we cannot say say enough about the staff of this hotel, fantastice service all around. Kudos to the management team such happy staff is a reflection on you! thank you to all the staff for making our experience so terrific!

• Stayed December 2012, traveled with family
Toronto, Canada
Reviewed November 30, 2012

A friend and I stayed one night at this hotel. We arrived pretty late and found the front desk staff to be very helpful. I booked the room through an online booking agent [either expedia or hotwire... I use them too much =)]. The room was clean, the bed was comfortable and we got breakfast the next morning which was delicious. The outlet mall across the parking lot didn't seem all that exciting but we stayed here because we needed a place to stop on our road trip. It was nice and convenient.

Stayed August 2012, traveled with friends
Toronto, Canada
Reviewed November 26, 2012

we booked this hotel for a wedding stay over.
we stayed two evenings,the pool was warm and comfortable after a day of running errands.
we used the banquet room for breakfast of 20 the day after the wedding.
staff was helpful and kind,helped with many questions as we booked many rooms for travelers.
the rooms are clean comfortable and made our week end complete
the hotel is close to hwy 401 and restaurants and shopping

• Stayed October 2012, traveled with family
CourtyardMarriottGM, General Manager at Courtyard by Marriott Kingston Highway 401 / Division Street, responded to this review, November 29, 2012
Hello Cruiser!

Greetings from Kingston.

Thank you very much for your kind review and taking the time to share your experience with the TripAdvisor community. We are pleased to hear that you enjoyed your stay with us during your visit for a wedding and that our staff were able to provide the excellent service that we continually strive to provide.

We hope that you will visit us again on your next trip to Kingston.

Until that time,

Happy Travels & Happy Holidays!

Toronto, ON
Reviewed November 20, 2012

Such a beautiful place inside and out. Too bad we felt like we were in the way of the hotel front staff. I would say "rude" but it goes further then that. They seemed annoyed by us!! You know the people that pay to stay there! Well, she will be happy to know that we would rather NOT stay there again. It is a shame because the hotel is very nice!

• Stayed June 2012, traveled with family
1 Thank J C
CourtyardMarriottGM, General Manager at Courtyard by Marriott Kingston Highway 401 / Division Street, responded to this review, November 26, 2012
Greetings from Kingston!

I am sorry to hear about the service letdown during your stay with us in June.

I would be greatly interested in hearing more details about your interactions with our front desk staff to allow us to investigate and take corrective action with the individual(s) responsible. I would also be interested in making it right for you.

I have sent you a personal message on TripAdvisor hoping that we can discuss this further.

Ontario, Canada
Reviewed November 12, 2012

Stayed at this hotel for one night and that was more than enough! Upon check in,the girl at the front desk thought it would be ok to roll her eyes when I informed her that I booked the room through Expedia....rude! I don't have any complaints about the room...it was clean and comfortable. I took my son to the pool,which has an awsome waterslide and a lifeguard on duty...that was a great bonus....until she said she was "taking a 5 minute break" and locked the gate for the slide...what's the big deal right?, she has the right to a break....well that 5 minute break ended up being 35 minutes! My son was very upset that he was unable to use the slide while we were at the pool. We went back to our room for dinner and I took him back to the pool afterward and that was a huge mistake! There were kids everywhere...loud,rude and not allowing my son on the slide! The lifeguard did nothing...just sat there while the parents of all the kids sat in chairs talking and mixing drinks!! Really???? Alcohol in an area where children will be? I was horrified...my son did not need to witness this behaviour so we left...again,I had an upset child. After watching tv for awhile it was time for bed....yeah right! There were kids running and hollering up and down the hall,banging on doors as they ran past until almost 11 o'clock!!! I later found out that the kids were all part of a skating group or something. As I said before,the room was ok,and the night staff was very courteous but I can't see staying at this place again...it was the worst experience and nights sleep I have ever had at any hotel I've ever stayed at!

• Stayed November 2012, traveled with family
Dear Kathy P,

I am horrified to hear of your experience with us. This is not indicitive of the type of stay we hope our guests will have at our hotel and is quite far removed from our mission.

Let me first apologize about the eye roll at the front desk. I completely agree that it is rude and totally unacceptable. Every guest is important to us, regardless of how they book. The associate who checked you in has been reprimanded and retrained on how to properly handle guest interactions, and showing appreciation for each and every guest.

Regarding the pool, again I apologize. The lifeguard certainly needed to take a better handle of the situation and the length of their break was much longer than scheduled. This associate also received a reprimand and retraining session with our Guest Services Manager on how to take charge and handle situations such as these.

It is always our intention to provide the best possible service for each and every guest. I am sorry to hear that we did not provide that for you and your family. I have sent you a personal message here on Tripadvisor and hope to bring you back to stay with us to experience what our hotel really stands for. Excellent product and top notch service. It is a major failure when we cannot provide that and I hope you will offer us the chance to redeem ourselves.

Thank you very much for taking to time to share your experience with us. With each mistake, we strive to learn and improve to prevent it from happening again in the future. By providing us with this feedback, it allows us that opportunity.

Once again, please accept our sincere apologies.

Until next time,

safe & happy travels!

Ottawa
Reviewed November 5, 2012

A newer hotel next to the 401 sharing a parking lot with outlet stores and restaurants with a new cineplex being built across the street. A terrific weekend. The staff, rooms, hotel, location, city were all excellent. We had a team in for a hockey tournament and everyone was singing the praises of our visit. Rooms are large and quiet. The Bistro area in the lobby serves a decent quick breakfast and is also licensed. Only minutes from downtown. Kingston is a very nice city and this hotel makes me want to visit more.

• Stayed November 2012, traveled with friends
CourtyardMarriottGM, General Manager at Courtyard by Marriott Kingston Highway 401 / Division Street, responded to this review, November 12, 2012
Greetings from Kingston, Towelboy!

Thank very much for writing about your experience at our hotel. We are happy to hear that our facilities and services met the needs and expectations of you and your group.

We agree wholeheartedly with your statement that Kingston is a very nice city. We hope you will come back for a visit and look forward to being your hotel of choice during your stay.

Thanks again for choosing us as your hotel during your torunament. We hope to see you back soon.

Until then,