“They changed our reservation and tried to make me feel bad about it”

Courtyard by Marriott Kingston Highway 401 / Division Street
Ranked #4 of 37 Hotels in Kingston
Reviewed September 11, 2011

I had a business meeting on a Saturday morning so we decided to go to Kingston as a family as this hotel has a waterslide and a friend was having a birthday party in the same town. So I booked a government rate. I slected a king bed with a sofa bed as this works the best for my family with two kids, aged 7 and 10. When making the reservation we had a choice of a room with 2 beds or a room with 1 king and a sofa bed. We choose this hotel because of this sleeping option because it works so well, the water slide was the second reason. We almost chose another local hotel that was $20 more but offered free breakfast but did not offer the king/sofa bed option and no water slide. So we chose the Courtyard by Marriott.

When we showed up at the hotel on Sept. 10 after my morning meeting it was about 2 in the afternoon and we were able to check in without an issue. We were given room 126 on the first floor. As soon as I opened the door I told the kids to leave the room, not to touch anything as there was a mistake as there were 2 beds in the room. I went right back to the lobby and spoke to the same woman who just checked us in only now her attitude changed to one of condescending arrogance. She informed me that since I booked a government rate and was only paying $113 before taxes while the "normal" rate was $154 we had to accept what we were given. I said I received a confirmation on Monday that I offered to show her but she declined that said I had a king bed and sofa bed. I thought this woman is a smiling executioner as her voice became shrill and loud and she was not in the least bit trying to accomodate us. I caller her Attila the hun in my mind and I was aware that everyone in the lobby could listen to my conversation with her. I did not back down as it is not an easy night for us trying to get a 7 year old boy and a 10 year old girl to share the same bed. I assume since I was questioning her she then changed her story to one of helplessness saying that the computer reassigned us to a two bed room instead of the king room because my reservation said we had 4 in the room and the computer decided that this would work better.

I was upset at this point as she was telling me I couldn't have the option I paid for as both options of bed preferences were offered when I booked and now a computer was telling me what would work better for me. I said as much so then the lovely attilla with the high pitched voice said that actually many people changed there reservations the night before and decided to stay over another night so that meant the hotel was fully booked, she had no king rooms to offer us and since, (back to story #1 again) we had paid so little we had to accept what we were given. Then went on for a bit more with the emphasis being put on the rate we had paid, not the room we had booked.

In about 5 minutes I got 3 different stories as to why our confirmed reservation was changed to what I considered less desirable. She chose not to inform me of the change when I first checked in and waited for me to come back to the lobby to address the issue. She offered no compensation until I asked so she then gave us a $15 breakfast voucher.

When we went to the room, the first room on the parking lot side of the hotel so cars were about 2 meters from our window, we had to have the maid who was cleaning 3 king rooms across the hall (empty by the way, guests checked out) come back as there was food left on the "strip of fabric placed at the end of the bed" and she had not noticed. She removed it and then I was worried that we would get charged for stealing it. My husband went back to the lovely attila at the front desk and had her make a note that it was removed by the maid, not us.

Besides having our reservation changed, which I still find unacceptable and do not accept any of the 3 reasons we were told, the room was comfortable. We found an odour in the room from what we believe was still new carpet and fabrics from construction. There was a coffe maker, microwave and fridge in the room. The fridge hummed loudly enough to wake me at 11:52 PM and each half our after as it sounded like an alarm coming from the hallway. I had to ask the maid if there was a hairdryer and she said to look in the cupboard. It was there but I would never thought to look for it there. There was a safe in the cupboard along with an iron and ironing board.

I was tempted to ask the front desk on Sunday, Sept. 11 as we left if the hotel was fully booked the night before but Attila was back on the job giving us the evil eye as we ate our breakfast in the lobby cafe.

In summary this is a nice hotel if you do not care you may not get what you reserve just because the front desk clerk decides you did not pay enough, eventhough I produced the required identification and I paid the rate that was posted on the web site.

• Stayed: September 2011, traveled with family
2  Thank 2plus2-9
CourtyardMarriottGM, General Manager at Courtyard by Marriott Kingston Highway 401 / Division Street, responded to this reviewResponded September 30, 2011

I am so sorry to hear of your experience. This is not representative of a typical stay here at The Courtyard by Marriott Kingston.

The short answer is that we most certainly should not have changed the reservation room type regardless of the rate you paid. As you mentioned, you were entitled to that rate and room type had no bearing whatsoever.

Regardless of the circumstances that resulted in the room type change, I agree with you wholeheatedly, changing the room type, was simply not an option.

We have reviewed this scenario with the staff member who checked you in and took the opportunity to re-train this individual to honour the reservations we have committed to our guests. On occasion, certain situations occur when this becomes challenging, but we must continue to strive for 100% customer satisfaction, and it's obvious this was not the case.

I would like to thank you for sharing this experience with us, as it did allow us to review to situation to ensure it does not happen moving forward.

When returning to the Kingston area, please do not hesitate to contact the General Manager at 613-547-7672 or via email at mfry@courtyardmarriottkingston.com , I would be more than happy to arrange your reservation on your behalf and guarantee your room type 100%.

Yours in Hospitality,

The Courtyard Marriott Kingston Team

Reviewed September 6, 2011

I stayed at the hotel in early July. The hotel feels brand new and there's some touches around the hotel such as the courtyard area, the main lounge area near the entrance and a cafe rather than breakfast room. The best way to describe the hotel is like it's been designed to be sexy to look at with plenty of great features, but on occasions the design isn't always practical!

The hotel is located just off the 417 highway in a commercial park area. The King bed room was a decent size, although some of the newer design features might need rethinking for example the bed facing out to the window and it not being possible to pull the TV far out enough so that you can see the whole screen when lying in bed! The room had a large desk, sofa and coffee table that was split level (which looked nice but wasn't that practical, I bumped my legs on it a lot!).

The room was very clean had a nice feel to it. Staff were relatively friendly (they had individual check-in desks rather than counter). Free Wi-fi is available throughout the hotel.
The swimming pool area was nice (although had no changing facilities), although the pool wasn't quite small. There's a 2 storey waterslide that's open a few hours a day which cuts off half the pool making swimming difficult at those times.

There's no restaurant on-site (there's a cafe area), but given the location with there being a dozen or so food outlets close by (McDonalds, Wendy's, Boston Pizza, Denny's, KFC, Pizza Hut, Starbucks and many others are all very close) it means there's a wide choice available. There's also some outlet shops next to the hotel.

Note the hotel is great if you arrive by car and it's easy to get into downtown Kingston. However without a car, the hotel can be difficult to get to, and it's a relatively long trek to the main part of Kingston. Whilst the price can't be beat and offers considerable savings think about staying elsewhere if you haven't got a car.

Bad points - Room design could be improved.

Good points - Hotel has some nice touches like the courtyard area. Free Wi-Fi.

Tips - For travel into central Kingston the number 2 bus stops on Division Street and takes about 20 minutes. Fare is $2.50 one way and is coins only. Be aware the bus is every half-hour and runs a limited service on Sundays.

• Stayed: July 2011, traveled solo
Reviewed September 4, 2011

I wanted to rent a conference room, but it was booked the night I needed it. Instead, I conducted my business meeting in their lobby for free. With such a beautiful lobby complete with a large first class sitting area, free WIFI, and plentiful electrical outlets at each table/booth, it was perfect for my needs. The cafe served Starbucks so it was possible to make it a nice atmosphere to conduct a one on one business meeting instead of at a coffee shop or restaurant. As I stayed a night, I can also say the rooms are very nice. They are clean, and have all the amenities for business use. It was also right off Hwy 401 making it easily accessible for clients to reach.

• Stayed: August 2011, traveled on business
Reviewed September 2, 2011

The room was terrific, the service was friendly and knowledgeable... tiny issue with the wait and service at the bistro in the morning.

• Stayed: August 2011, traveled as a couple
Reviewed September 2, 2011

We stayed here after 1000 Islands cruise.
It was a pleasant surprise to find this hotel at a convenient location close to restaurants and shopping. The building was barely more than a year old, and so everything was modern and clean, including the fancy big touch screen plasma at the lobby.
Kids loved the pool, hot tub and waterslide. It's a bit small though, especially when they block a section off for waterslide landing. Not a lot of space for non swimmers to lounge around.
The room was nice and clean. Beds were super comfortable. Big shower stall with sliding door. Even toilet was good with slow shutting cover!
This place is right in the outlet shopping mall (Tommy Hilfiger, Puma, Columbia among others) and the parking was free. Free WIFI was bonus.
If I need to be in Kingston area, I will definitely stay here again.

• Stayed: August 2011, traveled with family
Reviewed August 30, 2011

We stayed here while visiting family. The kids loved the pool with the waterslide. My only complaint would be that the lifeguards didn't pay attention close enough. At one point the pool was packed with teens and my little 5 year old who was in the shallow end was struggling. I just decided that it was safer to pull him out because the life gaurds weren't paying attention, they were barely teens themselves. The hotel was very nice, modern, clean and the beds were unbelievebly confortable! Kingston is a pretty town. There are lots of things to go and see and many different boat tours that you can take not far from Kingston in Gananoque.

Room Tip: Definitley ask for their best price! They usually have one
  • Stayed: July 2011, traveled with family
Reviewed August 24, 2011

The Courtyard by Marriott Kingston is a great hotel to do business with. The rooms are new and spacious. The meeting rooms are very modern and are always set up to the exact design you need to do business. Finally, the staff at the Marriott was just fantastic with dealing with our large group and the specific needs that we had.

Room Tip: the internet in the room is great
  • Stayed: August 2011, traveled on business