I had a business meeting on a Saturday morning so we decided to go to Kingston as a family as this hotel has a waterslide and a friend was having a birthday party in the same town. So I booked a government rate. I slected a king bed with a sofa bed as this works the best for my family with two kids, aged 7 and 10. When making the reservation we had a choice of a room with 2 beds or a room with 1 king and a sofa bed. We choose this hotel because of this sleeping option because it works so well, the water slide was the second reason. We almost chose another local hotel that was $20 more but offered free breakfast but did not offer the king/sofa bed option and no water slide. So we chose the Courtyard by Marriott.
When we showed up at the hotel on Sept. 10 after my morning meeting it was about 2 in the afternoon and we were able to check in without an issue. We were given room 126 on the first floor. As soon as I opened the door I told the kids to leave the room, not to touch anything as there was a mistake as there were 2 beds in the room. I went right back to the lobby and spoke to the same woman who just checked us in only now her attitude changed to one of condescending arrogance. She informed me that since I booked a government rate and was only paying $113 before taxes while the "normal" rate was $154 we had to accept what we were given. I said I received a confirmation on Monday that I offered to show her but she declined that said I had a king bed and sofa bed. I thought this woman is a smiling executioner as her voice became shrill and loud and she was not in the least bit trying to accomodate us. I caller her Attila the hun in my mind and I was aware that everyone in the lobby could listen to my conversation with her. I did not back down as it is not an easy night for us trying to get a 7 year old boy and a 10 year old girl to share the same bed. I assume since I was questioning her she then changed her story to one of helplessness saying that the computer reassigned us to a two bed room instead of the king room because my reservation said we had 4 in the room and the computer decided that this would work better.
I was upset at this point as she was telling me I couldn't have the option I paid for as both options of bed preferences were offered when I booked and now a computer was telling me what would work better for me. I said as much so then the lovely attilla with the high pitched voice said that actually many people changed there reservations the night before and decided to stay over another night so that meant the hotel was fully booked, she had no king rooms to offer us and since, (back to story #1 again) we had paid so little we had to accept what we were given. Then went on for a bit more with the emphasis being put on the rate we had paid, not the room we had booked.
In about 5 minutes I got 3 different stories as to why our confirmed reservation was changed to what I considered less desirable. She chose not to inform me of the change when I first checked in and waited for me to come back to the lobby to address the issue. She offered no compensation until I asked so she then gave us a $15 breakfast voucher.
When we went to the room, the first room on the parking lot side of the hotel so cars were about 2 meters from our window, we had to have the maid who was cleaning 3 king rooms across the hall (empty by the way, guests checked out) come back as there was food left on the "strip of fabric placed at the end of the bed" and she had not noticed. She removed it and then I was worried that we would get charged for stealing it. My husband went back to the lovely attila at the front desk and had her make a note that it was removed by the maid, not us.
Besides having our reservation changed, which I still find unacceptable and do not accept any of the 3 reasons we were told, the room was comfortable. We found an odour in the room from what we believe was still new carpet and fabrics from construction. There was a coffe maker, microwave and fridge in the room. The fridge hummed loudly enough to wake me at 11:52 PM and each half our after as it sounded like an alarm coming from the hallway. I had to ask the maid if there was a hairdryer and she said to look in the cupboard. It was there but I would never thought to look for it there. There was a safe in the cupboard along with an iron and ironing board.
I was tempted to ask the front desk on Sunday, Sept. 11 as we left if the hotel was fully booked the night before but Attila was back on the job giving us the evil eye as we ate our breakfast in the lobby cafe.
In summary this is a nice hotel if you do not care you may not get what you reserve just because the front desk clerk decides you did not pay enough, eventhough I produced the required identification and I paid the rate that was posted on the web site.
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- Located conveniently off of Highway 401 between Montreal and Toronto, the Courtyard Marriott Kingston's brand new facilities (Including our brand new Water Slide!) are ideal to unwind and re-energize! Business Centre, the Bistro Lounge and Restaurant serving breakfast, dinner, and refreshments, our fabulous indoor pool, slide, fitness facilities, and interactive lobby are unique in Kingston. Benefit from the fabulous Marriott Rewards program each and every stay, and make sure to visit our GoBoard with directions and information on all of Kingston's going-ons! When the day is over, enjoy the comfort of our beautifully designed guestrooms and attentive service. Welcome to the Courtyard Kingston - it's a New Stay! ... more less
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with Expedia, Hotels.com, Priceline, Booking.com, Travelocity, Hotwire, Orbitz, getaroom.com, Cancelon, TripOnline SA and Evoline ltd so you can book your Courtyard by Marriott Kingston Highway 401 / Division Street reservations with confidence. We help millions of travelers each month to find the perfect hotel for both vacation and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.
- Also Known As:
- Courtyard By Marriott Kingston Hotel Kingston
- Courtyard By Marriott Kingston Highway 401 / Division Street Ontario