“Fabulous stay and so close to everything”

Residence Inn Kingston Water's Edge
Ranked #1 of 37 Hotels in Kingston
Montreal
“Fabulous stay and so close to everything”
Reviewed June 10, 2014

We stayed 2x in 2 months, with our last stay for our daughters graduation. We liked our stay so much in May that we went back :) the staff were all so friendly and helpful. The rooms, clean and very comfortable. Breakfasts more than adequate and so much to chose from. I had left 3 of our forks in the kitchen draw, and the front desk staff found them for us ( they had been moved into the housekeeping store room) and have had them collected by a friend coming back to Montreal.
The hotel is so close to downtown, with wonderful restaurants and pubs to choose from. I certainly would recommend this venue again and again.

Room Tip: Both our rooms had water views. And both were quiet.
  • Stayed June 2014, traveled with family
David D, Guest Service Supervisor at Residence Inn Kingston Water's Edge, responded to this review, June 14, 2014
Hello Emma!

I'm very grateful for your positive review! Thank you for staying with us recently (twice!) and I hope to see you again here soon.

I remember talking with you about the missing forks. It was quite lucky that someone was still in town to pick them up! They were nice forks (unlike the forks in my apartment which are a little mis-matched).

Congratulations for your daughters graduation. We are located so close to Queen's U., we do get lots of business from student's families and Queen's employees.

I wonder if one of the pubs you may have visited was the Iron Duke on Wellington. It's about a 10 minute walk from the hotel and has a lovely flavour variety of wings.

Thank you again for staying and may the forks be with you!

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (343)
Flagler beach
Reviewed June 10, 2014

At different piece levels I expect different amenities and services. With taxes and parking this hotel was $290.00+ per night. The rooms were bright and spacious but the bathroom and separate vanity are very small. Tiny bottles of Shampoo and Conditioner - no hand lotion in the rooms - but if you asked at the front desk they'll find some in a drawer under their counter. Parking is $18.08 (HST included) per day - inside or out parking- no difference. The hotel lobby is small and quite oddly laid out - nothing that would make you say 'nice' but more like "really" ? In my experience staying in many hotels all over Canada, America and Europe this is a $190.00 a night hotel! Unfortunately the other three downtown hotels - Four Seasons, Holiday Inn, Delta & Confederation Harbour are not as new and light. So, this is "as good as it gets" in downtown Kingston.

Room Tip: East or South Side for water views - west side looks over Condos-no problem with traffic noise on an...
  • Stayed June 2014, traveled as a couple
1 Thank nsbeach1
Good day NSBeach1.

Thank you for taking the time to review us on Tripadvisor.

I do hope you enjoyed your visit to Kingston, but I can see, there were a few items that should be acknowledged.

Our rates fluctuate depending on the season and travel purpose (we offer discounts for gov't travelling on business, senior discount, and CAA members also).

Regarding parking, we keep our price consistent with other downtown hotels. Please keep in mind, with parking, we offer in and out privileges and we offer late parking to our guests at no extra charge so that visitors can enjoy the city.

NSBeach1, we make it a goal to impress our guests, in your visit... I think we may have fallen a bit short! I would like to invite you to contact me directly for your next reservation. My email is gss.marriott2@gmail.com

Thank you again for your review!
Riverwoods, Illinois
Reviewed June 7, 2014

Wow! This was not the Residence Inn I was used to! After driving through a rather sad part of town, off the expressway, I was beginning to really think I had made a mistake in choosing Kingston as our stopping point in route to Montreal. As we got closer to the hotel, the neighborhood changed and we saw the hotel which was a very impressive building unlike the motel like Residence Inns we know in the states. It was set on the water and really beautiful. The street surrounding the hotel had some great restaurant choices. We were checking in late and the staff ( David Dillman and Charles Teeple) could not have been nicer or more helpful. The room was beautiful and spacious, bed was very comfortable and everyone at the hotel was super friendly. The garage was a little challenging. Spaces were tight and there is a charge to park. The free breakfast was terrible. Unorganized, messy, terrible toaster. There was a wedding at the hotel and it was very crowded but the staff could not keep the food service area cleaned up. The hotel had great amenities like a pool, exercise room, business center and a laundry. It would be a really comfortable place for families or an extended stay. We are well travelled and I would say this hotel was an excellent choice!

Room Tip: I am sure all the rooms are equally as wonderful.
  • Stayed June 2014, traveled as a couple
Good day Nonny1.

Much obliged! I love seeing my name in these reviews in a positive light! ;) And I will certainly inform Charles that within not even his first month of working with us, he has made a positive impression on you!

As you mentioned, we have an underground garage and with some vehicles, there can be a bit of a challenge navigating around pillars and tight corners. Did you know we also offer above ground parking behind the hotel? We charge $16 for on site parking with in and out privileges.

You've said the magic word... restaurant! We are certainly located in a prime location for restaurant options. One of my favourite places to dine is Diane's Seafood just a few minutes from the hotel. And of course, two decadent ice cream places... Mio Gelato and White Mountain.

But what's really exciting is the new menu at our own West 76!

Nonny1, I would like to invite you to contact me personally regarding the breakfast. My email is gss.marriott2@gmail.com

I look forward to hearing back from you!
San Anselmo, California
Reviewed June 7, 2014

I don't want to imply that there was anything wrong with our stay at the Water's edge, but had I seen the Delta hotel next door online, I definitely would have selected that sleek 2014 model over the dark, old fashion style of the Marriott. We had a 2 bed suite, which had a partial lake view (the small windows were few and far between) and it felt as if it was an 80's design . . . which is all you really expect for a visit to a small town. But then I went to dinner at Aqua terra in the Delta hotel next door and was AMAZED. The food was fantastic and the atmosphere was as tasty as the food. I have a Marriott card, and have always liked the consistency of quality that Marriott properties offer, but in this case I think they fell short. I will keep my eye on Delta in the future.

Room Tip: Maybe a full lake view would have seemed brighter
  • Stayed September 2013, traveled with family
1 Thank Michele A
David D, Guest Service Supervisor at Residence Inn Kingston Water's Edge, responded to this review, June 10, 2014
Good day Michele.

Thank you for your review!

Our neighbour on the harbour (the Delta) is truly a lovely hotel. They’ve raised the bar at their property when they purchased the building last year and renovated their rooms.

I’m glad you were able to enjoy the Aqua Terra restaurant. It’s well known in Kingston with a deservedly high reputation. I hope for your next visit, you’ll get the chance to try the new menu at our own West 76, and even enjoy our waterfront patio!

Because the Residence Inn by Marriott is designed for long term stays, our hotel looks distinctly different than traditional hotel rooms. From a family-friendly atmosphere in the Hearth Room to condo-like colours of our halls and suites (lots of bright burgundies, teal, and chocolate brown).

Ours is certainly a different take on the traditional beige and grey that you may find at other hotels. And you’re absolutely right, there is a consistent design between Residence Inns across North America, and our design changes every 6 years to provide our guests with a lively variety.

When we next go through renovations we will be sure to let you know!

I am glad you enjoyed your stay with us. I’m looking forward to reading your next review. And I’d like to invite you to book your next reservation through me so that I can be sure to choose the best room for you (and with the best view, of course!)

Feel free to email me (David) directly at info@marriottresidenceinnkingston.com

Thank you again for your comments.
Toronto, Canada
Reviewed June 6, 2014

We recently went to stay in this hotel for our son's graduation from Queen's. Not surprisingly, the City and this hotel were full. Its been my experience when this happens, things fall off the table. Not here. Service was great, front desk staff amazing and the breakfast service staff cheerful and hard-working.

The hotel has a great location on the waterfront, within easy walking distance to downtown Kingston. Rooms are large and beds very comfortable. Really nice bar.

This is our new Kingston favourite spot to stay.

Room Tip: Waterfront view rooms are amazing.
  • Stayed June 2014, traveled with family
Hi Ralph!

Our location (a very short walk to Queen's U.) makes us a prime spot for graduates, students, and Queen's related visitors.

Thank you very much for your kind words! We are certainly proud and happy to serve our guests. On sold out nights, there's often lots going on and we definitely plug into the high energy! Puts a little pep in our step.

Congratulations on your son's graduation! I certainly hope you take the chance to pay us another visit in the future!
Kingston, ON
Reviewed June 5, 2014 via mobile

Stayed here on and off for two weeks while moving. Staff were great and accommodating. Rooms are very spacious as we stayed in a two bedroom suite. Pool and fitness centre very clean as well as laundry too! Restaurant was great food and you can't beat the location!

Stayed May 2014
Good day Island Lexie.

We are always happy to welcome people relocating to Kingston. Our suites are 50% larger than most hotel rooms and we've certainly seen our share of movers bringing lots of stuff! (An expectation during a move) Our suites feature a full kitchen, free internet, and guests have access to our 24 hour fitness centre, and the saltwater pool too.

We welcome all guests, but tend to get a bit more familiar with our long term or regular stay visitors. Thank you for staying with us while you were moving and keep us in mind for future visits.

We'd love to welcome you back again.

Many thanks!
Toronto, Canada
Reviewed May 31, 2014 via mobile

Stayed at the Residence Inn Kingston this weekend. We have gotten a studio city view room, which has partial harbour view. The room is spacious and really nice. It's also quite quiet even it's on the 3rd floor. We ordered room services for the night, and was very impressed from the food.

I am planning another visit next weekend and already planned to stay at Residence Inn again.

Stayed May 2014, traveled as a couple
Good afternoon Michelle. Thank you for staying with us and for planning your next visit to Kingston with us too!

Although most of our city view studio rooms don't offer a water view, it isn't uncommon to see at least some of beautiful Lake Ontario and the windmills on Wolfe Island.

I certainly hope you enjoyed your 2nd visit to the Residence Inn and I hope you had a chance to try the NEW menu at West 76!

I've been pushing the Pickerel and the Curry. Positively delicious!

I'd like to invite you to contact me when you have a future reservation as I'd love to arrange to welcome you back. My email is gss.marriott2@gmail.com

Many thanks!