“Dependable”

Ranked #1 of 37 Hotels in Kingston
Ottawa, Canada
“Dependable”
Reviewed January 14, 2014

We booked a suite with kitchenette and were worried about putting two of us on a fold-out sofa.

The fold-out was surprisingly comfortable. The rooms are exactly what you'd expect from a Marriott -- up to date (if not trendy) furnishings, perfectly clean and comfortable. The kitchette was also clean and functional.

The hotel was surprisingly quiet at night considering it was hosting a bunch of hockey teams in town for a tournament.

The parking was easy to get in and out of. Staff were friendly and accommodating of our large group of girls hockey players.

My only complaint: the two elevators are woefully inadequate and slow. Try to get a room on the ground floor or face long waits coming and going.

• Stayed January 2014, traveled with family
Michael J, General Manager at Residence Inn Kingston Water's Edge, responded to this review, January 20, 2014
Good day from a very snowy Kingston. Thanks for the review, I really appreciate your feedback. We do only have the two elavators and I appreciate that at peak times, guests are kept waiting. I am sorry for this and hope this did not detract from your otherwise enjoyment.

Warmest Regards

Mike Johnstone

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (314)
Toronto, Canada
Reviewed January 11, 2014

I've stayed at the Residence Inn a few times now and finally am ready to write a review. It is in a great location. If you are a runner, there is a great path that runs along the lake and it's just perfect. You are in walking distance to many great restaurants in the downtown core, although you won't have to go too far if you like pizza (all the locals rave about Woodenheads - a 5 minute walk from the hotel).

The staff at this hotel are very friendly and will always acknowledge you, smile and say hi. It comes with a great breakfast whereby you can have a choice of hot or cold items. Waffles, eggs, potatoes, cereal, oatmeal, fruit, yogurt, toast, and baked goods are available. There is a good sized gym and I never feel crowded there. It has a swimming pool and hot tub but I have never tried them.

The rooms are big and are suites so you have your own fridge, microwave, small stove top. It comes with a couch and the bed is big and comfy. My one comment that I would say that the hotel could improve is on it's cleanliness. By no means is it dirty, but I think because of the amount of travel I tend to do, I tend to notice more things than maybe other travelers. The room comes with soap, shampoo and conditioner. In each time that I've stayed, each time the toiletries were not all replaced. Also, the cleaning of the bathroom sink area could have been more thorough. But again, I have seen a lot worse and this hotel does a fairly decent job overall.If it didn't, I definitely wouldn't keep coming back.

• Stayed January 2014, traveled on business
Thank for your detailed review, it is nice to see this from a regular guest. I would love to be able to meet you and hopefully find out more about how we could improve our housekeeping. Call me on 613 531 7200 or simply come and say hello when next you are in the hotel.

Ottawa, Canada
Reviewed January 4, 2014

Great location in the centre of Kingston on the water. This is a new hotel. Had a room on the 9th floor looking out over the frozen lake. the room was very comfortable and spaceous- we only stayed one night and did not use the kitchenette. The heating in the room worked well and we were kept toastie warm. There was a girls hockey tournament happening so lots of littel girls about but we were distrubed by the noise. The buffet breakfast was plentiful and tasty.

• Stayed January 2014, traveled as a couple
Michael J, General Manager at Residence Inn Kingston Water's Edge, responded to this review, January 7, 2014
Good day from Kingston. What a great review for which I thank you. I am delighted that you enjoyed your time with us and love to see you appreciated the great view. The lake is lovely at all times of the year but once frosen over it takes on a very different joy, perhaps you can come back in the summer to see the view minus the snow and ice?
Call me if you need any help with future reservations.

Perth, Australia
Reviewed January 1, 2014 via mobile

We stayed for two months, October and November, while on business in Kingston. The staff were all wonderful to us during our visit; efficient and very thoughtful. Indeed, the folks who work there are the hotel's greatest asset: nothing was too much trouble for them in making our stay comfortable. Our suite on the 6th floor had views over the water to Wolfe Island, was clean and well appointed. The desk and high speed internet (included in the rate) worked very well. Breakfast was also included, making this hotel excellent value, particularly for a long term stay. Thank you to all the staff for making our stay at the Marriott, Kingston, the best experience during our four months of travelling during 2013!

Stayed October 2013, traveled on business
Thank you so very very much for this great review. I am simply delighted that you enjoyed your extended stay with us. I wish you all the very best for 2014 and hope to welcome you back to Kingston some day.

Ottawa, Ontario, Canada
Reviewed December 28, 2013

We stayed here with our two teenage kids in a two-bedroom suite with a kitchen for one night. The rooms were generous and new-looking, the beds were comfortable, the hotel was quiet, the pool was warm, the hot tub and fitness room were spotless - pretty much everything you want in a hotel. It's right by the water and historic downtown so easy walking to restaurants and shops - even in the winter time. Lovely walk from the hotel along the shore as well. The breakfast buffet had limited choice but was OK. The only sour note was the coffee - it was absolutely undrinkable. With two excellent coffee shops a stone's throw away this was easily remedied. But something this good hotel should consider fixing.

Room Tip: We asked for pet-free rooms since we were traveling with a child with severe asthma and they were ab...
  • Stayed December 2013, traveled with family
1 Thank Lori G
Michael J, General Manager at Residence Inn Kingston Water's Edge, responded to this review, December 31, 2013
Good morning from Kingston. Thank you so much for the great review but am so sorry to see you did not enjoy our breakfast coffee. We offer a special blend which is made for Marriott and although it seems to be enjoyed by most it is not as robust a flavour as some may like. I hope this did not detract from your enjoyment. Please let me know when you wish to return as I will ensure you have some alternatives in your suite.

Happy New Year from all at the Residence Inn Kingston

Warm regards,

ottawa
Reviewed December 28, 2013

Front desk staff are the most pleasant I have yet to encounter. The suites are roomy and cheery. The location on the Kingston waterfront is brilliant and very handy if you are travelling with a dog. The waterfront trail is right there.

Only drawback was a noisy fridge in our suite that was keeping our seven year old awake. Considering the hotel is new, we found that odd.

• Stayed December 2013, traveled with family
Good morning from a very wintery New Year`s eve in Kingston. Thank you so very much for taking the time to share your comments, I really appreciate that. If you could let me know which suite you occupied I can get that noisy fridge looked at, I am sorry if it disturbed your party. Call me if you can on 613 531 7200

Happy New Year!

Richmond Hill, Ontario, Canada
Reviewed December 27, 2013

I stayed here for a weekend while at a Queen's University leadership conference, and shared a room with three other girls. The room was big enough for four people - don't remember what room number we were at - but the room was spacious and included: Kitchenette (including microwave and coffee machine), bathroom (but did not have an exhaust fan), and two mirror closets. The daily free breakfast was yummy; they offer cantaloupe and watermelon slices! Beds were always made when we returned, as well as towels cleaned. This is especially notable since with three other people in one room, I would assume it was difficult to navigate and do room service in!

During our stay, we were helped by various front desk staff, including: Booking taxi's and replacing hair dryers. The hotel is located right by the waterfront, which means we were literally steps away from a gorgeous view of the lake. Absolutely stunning in the morning!

• Stayed November 2013, traveled with friends
Hello and thank you for posting your comments. I am delighted to see that you enjoyed your stay with us and am pleased that our staff were so helpful.

Warm Regards and Happy New Year