“Great hotel!”

Residence Inn Kingston Water's Edge
Ranked #1 of 37 Hotels in Kingston
Reviewed January 1, 2014

We stayed for two months, October and November, while on business in Kingston. The staff were all wonderful to us during our visit; efficient and very thoughtful. Indeed, the folks who work there are the hotel's greatest asset: nothing was too much trouble for them in making our stay comfortable. Our suite on the 6th floor had views over the water to Wolfe Island, was clean and well appointed. The desk and high speed internet (included in the rate) worked very well. Breakfast was also included, making this hotel excellent value, particularly for a long term stay. Thank you to all the staff for making our stay at the Marriott, Kingston, the best experience during our four months of travelling during 2013!

Stayed: October 2013, traveled on business
Michael J, General Manager at Residence Inn Kingston Water's Edge, responded to this reviewResponded January 7, 2014

Thank you so very very much for this great review. I am simply delighted that you enjoyed your extended stay with us. I wish you all the very best for 2014 and hope to welcome you back to Kingston some day.

Warm Regards
Mike Johnstone

Write a ReviewReviews (1,289)

Reviewed December 28, 2013

We stayed here with our two teenage kids in a two-bedroom suite with a kitchen for one night. The rooms were generous and new-looking, the beds were comfortable, the hotel was quiet, the pool was warm, the hot tub and fitness room were spotless - pretty much everything you want in a hotel. It's right by the water and historic downtown so easy walking to restaurants and shops - even in the winter time. Lovely walk from the hotel along the shore as well. The breakfast buffet had limited choice but was OK. The only sour note was the coffee - it was absolutely undrinkable. With two excellent coffee shops a stone's throw away this was easily remedied. But something this good hotel should consider fixing.

Room Tip: We asked for pet-free rooms since we were traveling with a child with severe asthma and they were ab...
  • Stayed: December 2013, traveled with family
1  Thank Lori G
Michael J, General Manager at Residence Inn Kingston Water's Edge, responded to this reviewResponded December 31, 2013

Good morning from Kingston. Thank you so much for the great review but am so sorry to see you did not enjoy our breakfast coffee. We offer a special blend which is made for Marriott and although it seems to be enjoyed by most it is not as robust a flavour as some may like. I hope this did not detract from your enjoyment. Please let me know when you wish to return as I will ensure you have some alternatives in your suite.

Happy New Year from all at the Residence Inn Kingston

Warm regards,

Reviewed December 28, 2013

Front desk staff are the most pleasant I have yet to encounter. The suites are roomy and cheery. The location on the Kingston waterfront is brilliant and very handy if you are travelling with a dog. The waterfront trail is right there.

Only drawback was a noisy fridge in our suite that was keeping our seven year old awake. Considering the hotel is new, we found that odd.

• Stayed: December 2013, traveled with family

Good morning from a very wintery New Year`s eve in Kingston. Thank you so very much for taking the time to share your comments, I really appreciate that. If you could let me know which suite you occupied I can get that noisy fridge looked at, I am sorry if it disturbed your party. Call me if you can on 613 531 7200

Happy New Year!

Reviewed December 27, 2013

I stayed here for a weekend while at a Queen's University leadership conference, and shared a room with three other girls. The room was big enough for four people - don't remember what room number we were at - but the room was spacious and included: Kitchenette (including microwave and coffee machine), bathroom (but did not have an exhaust fan), and two mirror closets. The daily free breakfast was yummy; they offer cantaloupe and watermelon slices! Beds were always made when we returned, as well as towels cleaned. This is especially notable since with three other people in one room, I would assume it was difficult to navigate and do room service in!

During our stay, we were helped by various front desk staff, including: Booking taxi's and replacing hair dryers. The hotel is located right by the waterfront, which means we were literally steps away from a gorgeous view of the lake. Absolutely stunning in the morning!

• Stayed: November 2013, traveled with friends

Hello and thank you for posting your comments. I am delighted to see that you enjoyed your stay with us and am pleased that our staff were so helpful.

Warm Regards and Happy New Year

Reviewed December 18, 2013

Beautiful loction on the lake, seeing the Wolf Island going back and forth at night has a certain charm, The Reception, and indeed all the staff, were always friendly and helpful, one of the many things that Marriott always seem to get right. Room enormous although the kitchen lacked in a few things (only one knife and two small forks) but I am sure this would havebeen sorted if I was desperate. Rooms and the whole hotel immaculate, very comfortable and welcoming. The only criticism is that whoever designed the restauarnt had no idea, a potentially great view across the water but mainly walls rather than windows and the glazing bars of the window were just at eye level!!! That withstanding I am really looking forward to my return tip next January.

• Stayed: November 2013, traveled on business
Michael J, General Manager at Residence Inn Kingston Water's Edge, responded to this reviewResponded December 19, 2013

Good afternoon from Kingston, ONT. I was so pleased to read your review today, thank you for sharing your experiences. As you may see I reply to each and every review on this site as I think it is so important to do so, if guests can take the time then so should I. Thank you for your comments regarding the lack of cutlery in your suite, we constantly do stock takes for this purpose and will try and ensure all suites are fully stocked in the future. I do understand what you mean about the view from West 76, it is much nicer in the summer months actually, when the patio is open. Perhaps you may return in the warmer times and I can buy you a nice cool drink? Sounds funny to be talking about warm weather on Dec 19th.
Thanks again

Warmest regards and festive greetings,

Reviewed December 9, 2013

I booked a reservation through a website that sported the Marriott Residence Inn logo. When I saw the terms and conditions of the reservation, e.g., parking charges, I immediately cancelled the reservation. The reservation would not cancel.

This was three months prior to the reservation date. A month prior to the reservation date, I called the website (reservation counter) and advised that I would not be using the reservation. I then called the hotel and asked whether a room was reserved for me on the night in question. The hotel said no reservation was in place.

The reservation counter refused to cancel. I wrote Marriott. They refused to deal with the issue. The hotel mangager, Michael Johnstone refused to deal with it even though there was no reservation made in our name on the night in question.

• Stayed: September 2013, traveled as a couple
4  Thank kmorehouse
Michael J, General Manager at Residence Inn Kingston Water's Edge, responded to this reviewResponded December 10, 2013

Dear Madam,

I am shocked at your posting which states that the hotel took no responsability for this. This was your error in that you booked a discount rate with a 3rd party and the confirmation email, which I have, clearly states that the booking could not be changed or cancelled with any refund due. The booking company cancelled the booking for you and kept the monies as stated in the terms and conditions, this is why we did not have the booking when you called. Even though this hotel has no legal obligation I offered you, as a gesture of goodwil, not only a complimentary two night stay but also offered to rebate you 50% of the charge. I was really trying to help you as you paid for a service you did not receive. I take great exception to your claim that I refused to deal with this as I spent a good amount of time with you on this subect to try and help you.
May I also remind you that my Guest Service Manager, Mattew, also spent a great deal fo time talking to Reservation Counter trying to get them to refund you. they refused not my hotel.
Good day.

Reviewed December 8, 2013

An impressive, modern, lakeside hotel at the heart of the lovely, little, historic town of Kingston.

The hotel scores on:

1 its ideal location, right on the lake and only a short walk/taxi ride from the town centre.

2 its rooms: modern, comfortable, and a good size. Mine (and I assume mine was typical) had a kitchenette.

3 last, but by no means least, the welcome: the receptionist (David, if I recall) was excellent: he could hardly have been more helpful.

Main downside was the bar. In the evening I went in to peruse the menu and was treated to a long recitation of items that were NOT available: apparently the hotel was switching to a new menu the following day. It is a good idea to rotate menus, but why should guests who stay during the changeover fall between the gap? Hopefully this was a temporary glitch.

Also, the breakfast area is relatively small for such a big hotel. If the hotel is full (as it was when I stayed) the area gets very crowded (though the breakfast stall coped well and were friendly). The hotel might want to rethink the breakfast geography.

Finally, theres a very good indoor pool and hot tub. Changing facilities would be an idea, though.

All in all, I would very happily stay again.

• Stayed: November 2013, traveled with friends
Michael J, General Manager at Residence Inn Kingston Water's Edge, responded to this reviewResponded December 9, 2013

Thank you for your review. It seems you had a pretty good experience which I am really happy about, thank you for mentioning David as he is a real star. I am sorry that you felt the breakfast room was cramped, we normally open the restaurant located at the rear of the hotel when we are full to offer guests extra seating. I will find out if this was done and if not why not. I accept what you say about the bar menu and apologize for this. You are correct in that our changing the menu should not impact the guests choice. Regarding the fitness area and pool, we do have extensive changing rooms furnishes with showers, lockers and saunas. Perhaps you did not venture into these areas.

Thanks again for the comments, much appreciated.

Warments regards and compliments of the season.