“Spacious and friendly service” 4 of 5 bubbles
Review of Residence Inn Kingston Water's Edge

Residence Inn Kingston Water's Edge
Ranked #1 of 37 Hotels in Kingston
ottawa
“Spacious and friendly service”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed December 28, 2013

Front desk staff are the most pleasant I have yet to encounter. The suites are roomy and cheery. The location on the Kingston waterfront is brilliant and very handy if you are travelling with a dog. The waterfront trail is right there.

Only drawback was a noisy fridge in our suite that was keeping our seven year old awake. Considering the hotel is new, we found that odd.

• Stayed December 2013, traveled with family
    • 3 of 5 bubbles
    • 5 of 5 bubbles
Michael J, General Manager at Residence Inn Kingston Water's Edge, responded to this review, December 31, 2013
Good morning from a very wintery New Year`s eve in Kingston. Thank you so very much for taking the time to share your comments, I really appreciate that. If you could let me know which suite you occupied I can get that noisy fridge looked at, I am sorry if it disturbed your party. Call me if you can on 613 531 7200

Happy New Year!

Mike

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (303)
Richmond Hill, Ontario, Canada
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed December 27, 2013

I stayed here for a weekend while at a Queen's University leadership conference, and shared a room with three other girls. The room was big enough for four people - don't remember what room number we were at - but the room was spacious and included: Kitchenette (including microwave and coffee machine), bathroom (but did not have an exhaust fan), and two mirror closets. The daily free breakfast was yummy; they offer cantaloupe and watermelon slices! Beds were always made when we returned, as well as towels cleaned. This is especially notable since with three other people in one room, I would assume it was difficult to navigate and do room service in!

During our stay, we were helped by various front desk staff, including: Booking taxi's and replacing hair dryers. The hotel is located right by the waterfront, which means we were literally steps away from a gorgeous view of the lake. Absolutely stunning in the morning!

• 5 of 5 bubbles
Hello and thank you for posting your comments. I am delighted to see that you enjoyed your stay with us and am pleased that our staff were so helpful.

Warm Regards and Happy New Year
Mike Johnstone
East Mids
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed December 18, 2013

Beautiful loction on the lake, seeing the Wolf Island going back and forth at night has a certain charm, The Reception, and indeed all the staff, were always friendly and helpful, one of the many things that Marriott always seem to get right. Room enormous although the kitchen lacked in a few things (only one knife and two small forks) but I am sure this would havebeen sorted if I was desperate. Rooms and the whole hotel immaculate, very comfortable and welcoming. The only criticism is that whoever designed the restauarnt had no idea, a potentially great view across the water but mainly walls rather than windows and the glazing bars of the window were just at eye level!!! That withstanding I am really looking forward to my return tip next January.

• Stayed November 2013, traveled on business
    • 4 of 5 bubbles
Michael J, General Manager at Residence Inn Kingston Water's Edge, responded to this review, December 19, 2013
Good afternoon from Kingston, ONT. I was so pleased to read your review today, thank you for sharing your experiences. As you may see I reply to each and every review on this site as I think it is so important to do so, if guests can take the time then so should I. Thank you for your comments regarding the lack of cutlery in your suite, we constantly do stock takes for this purpose and will try and ensure all suites are fully stocked in the future. I do understand what you mean about the view from West 76, it is much nicer in the summer months actually, when the patio is open. Perhaps you may return in the warmer times and I can buy you a nice cool drink? Sounds funny to be talking about warm weather on Dec 19th.
Thanks again

Warmest regards and festive greetings,
Mike Johnstone
Alamo, CA
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed December 9, 2013

I booked a reservation through a website that sported the Marriott Residence Inn logo. When I saw the terms and conditions of the reservation, e.g., parking charges, I immediately cancelled the reservation. The reservation would not cancel.

This was three months prior to the reservation date. A month prior to the reservation date, I called the website (reservation counter) and advised that I would not be using the reservation. I then called the hotel and asked whether a room was reserved for me on the night in question. The hotel said no reservation was in place.

The reservation counter refused to cancel. I wrote Marriott. They refused to deal with the issue. The hotel mangager, Michael Johnstone refused to deal with it even though there was no reservation made in our name on the night in question.

• Stayed September 2013, traveled as a couple
    • 1 of 5 bubbles
    • 1 of 5 bubbles
4 Thank kmorehouse
Michael J, General Manager at Residence Inn Kingston Water's Edge, responded to this review, December 10, 2013
Dear Madam,

I am shocked at your posting which states that the hotel took no responsability for this. This was your error in that you booked a discount rate with a 3rd party and the confirmation email, which I have, clearly states that the booking could not be changed or cancelled with any refund due. The booking company cancelled the booking for you and kept the monies as stated in the terms and conditions, this is why we did not have the booking when you called. Even though this hotel has no legal obligation I offered you, as a gesture of goodwil, not only a complimentary two night stay but also offered to rebate you 50% of the charge. I was really trying to help you as you paid for a service you did not receive. I take great exception to your claim that I refused to deal with this as I spent a good amount of time with you on this subect to try and help you.
May I also remind you that my Guest Service Manager, Mattew, also spent a great deal fo time talking to Reservation Counter trying to get them to refund you. they refused not my hotel.
Good day.
Washington DC
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed December 8, 2013

An impressive, modern, lakeside hotel at the heart of the lovely, little, historic town of Kingston.

The hotel scores on:

1 its ideal location, right on the lake and only a short walk/taxi ride from the town centre.

2 its rooms: modern, comfortable, and a good size. Mine (and I assume mine was typical) had a kitchenette.

3 last, but by no means least, the welcome: the receptionist (David, if I recall) was excellent: he could hardly have been more helpful.

Main downside was the bar. In the evening I went in to peruse the menu and was treated to a long recitation of items that were NOT available: apparently the hotel was switching to a new menu the following day. It is a good idea to rotate menus, but why should guests who stay during the changeover fall between the gap? Hopefully this was a temporary glitch.

Also, the breakfast area is relatively small for such a big hotel. If the hotel is full (as it was when I stayed) the area gets very crowded (though the breakfast stall coped well and were friendly). The hotel might want to rethink the breakfast geography.

Finally, theres a very good indoor pool and hot tub. Changing facilities would be an idea, though.

All in all, I would very happily stay again.

• 5 of 5 bubbles
Michael J, General Manager at Residence Inn Kingston Water's Edge, responded to this review, December 9, 2013
Thank you for your review. It seems you had a pretty good experience which I am really happy about, thank you for mentioning David as he is a real star. I am sorry that you felt the breakfast room was cramped, we normally open the restaurant located at the rear of the hotel when we are full to offer guests extra seating. I will find out if this was done and if not why not. I accept what you say about the bar menu and apologize for this. You are correct in that our changing the menu should not impact the guests choice. Regarding the fitness area and pool, we do have extensive changing rooms furnishes with showers, lockers and saunas. Perhaps you did not venture into these areas.

Thanks again for the comments, much appreciated.

Warments regards and compliments of the season.
Mississauga, Ontario, Canada
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed December 5, 2013

I booked this hotel on the advice of my coworker. For a modesty priced hotel I was treated like gold. Of the 100 plus hotels that I have stayed in ranging from $50-$350 per night know North America this was the most welcoming I have ever been. Katie at the front could not be any nicer. She always asked if she could make anything better and kept calling me Mr. I told her not to age me. So sweet, and respectful. Always happy. Seeing as I was going to be in Toronto the following 2 weeks she took the liberty to find and book 2 other residence Inn hotels. Though I explained that I would, she insisted and offered to help so I could enjoy my evening. Management was very down to earth as well and personable. I work for an organization with 15000 employees and will recommend this hotel. Good work Katie, you are a true asset to this chain.

Room Tip: Fantastic hotel.
  • Stayed November 2013, traveled on business
    • 5 of 5 bubbles
Hello from a very Wet and cold Monday in Kingston. I really enjoyed reading your review and will take the greatest of pleasure is sharing with not only Katie but all staff. Katie is new to us and is proving to be a very valuable addition to the team, this review proves this.

I hope to see you sometime in the near future.

Warmest Regards
Goderich, Canada
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed December 4, 2013

I recently booked two rooms for a family function and found the hotel as clean as should be expected of this calibur of hotel and the staff very friendly and accommodating. A very nice hotel and location.
Unfortunately the included breakfast was absolutely terrible, set up in a cramped room with a limited selection, There was no bacon other than turkey bacon and neither morning could we sit together as family (6 people).
However my major complaint was that this region participates in a destination marketing scheme to generate additional funds for tourism that amounted to $30.00 on top of my bill (it is calculated using a percentage of bill). Despite The Ontario Ministry of Tourism's clear guideline that "All price advertising will include clear notice of the fee prior to booking" this was not done. Needless to say it was shock on top of an already fairly hefty tab. While in the area we participated in local walking tour, ate at local restaurants, visited the steam museum, bought gas so I resented this additional money grab for tourist dollars. Let this be a warning to others thinking of vacationing in the area. A few miles north , south, east or west and you might avoid the additional charge. The hotel acknowledged it was not included on my quote or clearly stated so I felt the hotel contravened the guidlines put forth and should have removed the charge from my bill but they said it was out of their hands. They indicated it was their error and they would change their procedure but before posting this I did a mock booking and the destination marketing fee still did not show at least before the final stage of actual payment. Buyer beware.

2 Thank Susan G
Good afternoon and thank you for taking the time to share you comments. I am so sorry you did not enjoy our complimentary breakfast and I am in the process of investigating your comments about the limited selection of food. Our breakfast offers a wide range of hot and cold food and beverage and I am very concerned as to why you would feel this to be inadequate. I do thank you for remarks and will use them in a constructive manner, once I find out the full picture, if you have anything to add please do call me on 6135317200 to discuss further.

We do collect a Local Destination Marketing Fee of 3% as do all major Kingston hotels, motels and bed and breakfast establishments. I am truly sorry that this upset you and I am going to check how this information is shown when the guest makes a booking. Please be aware that this is not a charge the hotel keeps but monies passed over to a local association to promote Kingston as a tourism destination.

I enourage you to contact me should you wish to chat about any of these concerns more.

Regards