“Very good hotel, excellent reception, so-so bar menu”

Residence Inn Kingston Water's Edge
Ranked #1 of 37 Hotels in Kingston
Washington DC
“Very good hotel, excellent reception, so-so bar menu”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed December 8, 2013

An impressive, modern, lakeside hotel at the heart of the lovely, little, historic town of Kingston.

The hotel scores on:

1 its ideal location, right on the lake and only a short walk/taxi ride from the town centre.

2 its rooms: modern, comfortable, and a good size. Mine (and I assume mine was typical) had a kitchenette.

3 last, but by no means least, the welcome: the receptionist (David, if I recall) was excellent: he could hardly have been more helpful.

Main downside was the bar. In the evening I went in to peruse the menu and was treated to a long recitation of items that were NOT available: apparently the hotel was switching to a new menu the following day. It is a good idea to rotate menus, but why should guests who stay during the changeover fall between the gap? Hopefully this was a temporary glitch.

Also, the breakfast area is relatively small for such a big hotel. If the hotel is full (as it was when I stayed) the area gets very crowded (though the breakfast stall coped well and were friendly). The hotel might want to rethink the breakfast geography.

Finally, theres a very good indoor pool and hot tub. Changing facilities would be an idea, though.

All in all, I would very happily stay again.

• Stayed November 2013, traveled with friends
Michael J, General Manager at Residence Inn Kingston Water's Edge, responded to this review, December 9, 2013
Thank you for your review. It seems you had a pretty good experience which I am really happy about, thank you for mentioning David as he is a real star. I am sorry that you felt the breakfast room was cramped, we normally open the restaurant located at the rear of the hotel when we are full to offer guests extra seating. I will find out if this was done and if not why not. I accept what you say about the bar menu and apologize for this. You are correct in that our changing the menu should not impact the guests choice. Regarding the fitness area and pool, we do have extensive changing rooms furnishes with showers, lockers and saunas. Perhaps you did not venture into these areas.

Thanks again for the comments, much appreciated.

Warments regards and compliments of the season.
Mike

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (306)
Mississauga, Ontario, Canada
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed December 5, 2013

I booked this hotel on the advice of my coworker. For a modesty priced hotel I was treated like gold. Of the 100 plus hotels that I have stayed in ranging from $50-$350 per night know North America this was the most welcoming I have ever been. Katie at the front could not be any nicer. She always asked if she could make anything better and kept calling me Mr. I told her not to age me. So sweet, and respectful. Always happy. Seeing as I was going to be in Toronto the following 2 weeks she took the liberty to find and book 2 other residence Inn hotels. Though I explained that I would, she insisted and offered to help so I could enjoy my evening. Management was very down to earth as well and personable. I work for an organization with 15000 employees and will recommend this hotel. Good work Katie, you are a true asset to this chain.

Room Tip: Fantastic hotel.
  • Stayed November 2013, traveled on business
Hello from a very Wet and cold Monday in Kingston. I really enjoyed reading your review and will take the greatest of pleasure is sharing with not only Katie but all staff. Katie is new to us and is proving to be a very valuable addition to the team, this review proves this.

I hope to see you sometime in the near future.

Warmest Regards
Goderich, Canada
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed December 4, 2013

I recently booked two rooms for a family function and found the hotel as clean as should be expected of this calibur of hotel and the staff very friendly and accommodating. A very nice hotel and location.
Unfortunately the included breakfast was absolutely terrible, set up in a cramped room with a limited selection, There was no bacon other than turkey bacon and neither morning could we sit together as family (6 people).
However my major complaint was that this region participates in a destination marketing scheme to generate additional funds for tourism that amounted to $30.00 on top of my bill (it is calculated using a percentage of bill). Despite The Ontario Ministry of Tourism's clear guideline that "All price advertising will include clear notice of the fee prior to booking" this was not done. Needless to say it was shock on top of an already fairly hefty tab. While in the area we participated in local walking tour, ate at local restaurants, visited the steam museum, bought gas so I resented this additional money grab for tourist dollars. Let this be a warning to others thinking of vacationing in the area. A few miles north , south, east or west and you might avoid the additional charge. The hotel acknowledged it was not included on my quote or clearly stated so I felt the hotel contravened the guidlines put forth and should have removed the charge from my bill but they said it was out of their hands. They indicated it was their error and they would change their procedure but before posting this I did a mock booking and the destination marketing fee still did not show at least before the final stage of actual payment. Buyer beware.

2 Thank Susan G
Good afternoon and thank you for taking the time to share you comments. I am so sorry you did not enjoy our complimentary breakfast and I am in the process of investigating your comments about the limited selection of food. Our breakfast offers a wide range of hot and cold food and beverage and I am very concerned as to why you would feel this to be inadequate. I do thank you for remarks and will use them in a constructive manner, once I find out the full picture, if you have anything to add please do call me on 6135317200 to discuss further.

We do collect a Local Destination Marketing Fee of 3% as do all major Kingston hotels, motels and bed and breakfast establishments. I am truly sorry that this upset you and I am going to check how this information is shown when the guest makes a booking. Please be aware that this is not a charge the hotel keeps but monies passed over to a local association to promote Kingston as a tourism destination.

I enourage you to contact me should you wish to chat about any of these concerns more.

Regards
ottawa, ontario
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed November 29, 2013

Stayed at the Residence Inn for a wedding and found the hotel pretty impressive. The rooms were nice, clean and spacious with a kitchenette. Everything you would need. Breakfast was good too, the only complaint is that the breakfast area is not big enough, when you have a wedding there and there's 50 people who goes for breakfast in the morning it's kind of small but beside that I will definately stay there again.

Room Tip: Room facing the water
  • Stayed August 2013, traveled with family
Good day and thank you for sharing your comments. I am thrilled to see that you enjoyed your recent stay and will investigate further what you say about the limited room in the breakfast area. When we are busy we open up the restaurant at the rear of the hotel which offers additional seating with lovely views over Lake Ontario. It seems this was not done on the day you mention. I am sorry if this impacted on a negative way.

Thanks again and compliments of the season.

Warm Regards.

SILVER SPRING
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed November 25, 2013

We had a very nice stay in tone of their King Suites the first weekend in October 2013. A beautiful view of the water and a very comfortable bed. The staff were all very pleasant and helpful. The kitchen and suite area were nice, though we didn't use them too much. If I were to stay in Kingston again, I would definitely stay at this hotel. The breakfast was decent for a complimentary breakfast, waffle machine, eggs, sausage, fruit, etc.

• Stayed October 2013, traveled as a couple
Michael J, General Manager at Residence Inn Kingston Water's Edge, responded to this review, November 26, 2013
Hello from Kingston. Thank you posting this review and I hope it helps our Trip Advisor friends when they are looking to book a hotel in Kingston.
I hope you come back to see us again soon

Warmest Regards
macdrugrep
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed November 24, 2013

Fantastic hotel. If you are looking to experience Kingston and be within walking distance of the best restaurants, pubs and shopping, this is the place. Rooms are ideal for a night or an extended stay. I would definitely try and get the one-room suite. Hotel is very clean and pool is great. Best feature however is the in suite kitchens, makes it feel much more cozy and personal than a standard hotel room setup. If you check in and want a great beer and some warm food venture on over to Kingston Pub and Brewery. For lunch definitely try the Red House off of Princess st. This hotel is our go-to hotel now in kingston. Very kid-friendly and free breakfast is nice.

Room Tip: Choose the one bedroom suite, this allows privacy from children and two large televisions. The $10...
  • Stayed November 2013, traveled with family
Hello from a very wintery Kingston. Any review which contains the word ``Great`` is fine by me. Thank you so very much for sharing.

Warm Regards
Ottawa, Ontario, Canada
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed November 22, 2013

I stayed in one the suites with two of my friends for a birthday weekend. We had an awesome time! The suite was lovely and so comfortable and the pool, sauna and hot tub were heavenly. The location was also amazing. Right on the water with beautiful views and right downtown so you can walk to all the restaurants, bars and shops.

1 Thank Clare G
What can I say but Thank You!
Lovely to see you enjoyed your time with us, come back again soon.

Warm Regards