“Surprised at the quality.”

Residence Inn Kingston Water's Edge
Ranked #1 of 37 Hotels in Kingston
Chelmsford, United Kingdom
“Surprised at the quality.”
Reviewed September 26, 2011

Stayed for one night while travelling from Toronto to Quebec City. I wasn't sure what to expect from this hotel as we usually stay in 4 and 5 star hotels but I was very surprised at the quality of the room and public areas. I believe the hotel is quite new which I'm sure helped, but the room was large with a big bed, sofa, TV and kitchen area with a desk and table. Room was clean and new looking, and has free wifi. My only gripe is the small bathroom. The hotel includes breakfast but I did find this a bit of a free for all - no set tables and collect your own cutlery. The selection wasn't huge either.
The hotel itself is nice but a bit bland - didn't really stand out too much decor wise but was, as I said before, new and smart looking.
Location was reasonable - only a 5 minute walk into the town centre. Paying more for a water view is a bit pointless - it's not the most inspiring stretch of water but you do get a nice view of the wind farm on Wolfe Island, if that's your sort of thing!
It was expensive for what it was though - the UK/Canadian dollar exchange rate wasn't in our favour and I HATE that most North American hotels charge for parking - they own the car park too (in this case a parking garage in the basement) so why charge guests to use it? Only $12 per night but still very cheeky. I could get an equivalent hotel in the UK for half to two-thirds the per night price of this one so it wasn't great value for money. Saying that, I would choose Residence Inn again but i'd be intrigued to know what a less recently built (or not recently refurbished) hotel would be like.

1 Thank squirrel2203
YGKRI, General Manager at Residence Inn Kingston Water's Edge, responded to this review, September 28, 2011
Hello and thank you for posting this lovely comment, I really appreciate it. We are indeed quite new and opened in August 2010. I am sorry you felt the bathroom was small but we do feel they are well designed to give maximum use of space. Regarding our breakfast service, it does get busy at times and we do not set tables as we prefer to allow our guests to sit where they like and encourgae them to take breakfast to there suites if this is an option to them. We do charge a little extra for views of Lake Ontario and get feedback that this cost is worth it too most guests, I am sorry you felt it pointless. We do also charge for parking which all dowtown hotels in Kingston do, parking is in short supply in the downtown area. Our charge is in line with other hotels and parking lots.
Thank you again for your comnents and I would love to be able to meet with you if you are ever in Kingston again.

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (313)
Albany, New York
Reviewed September 23, 2011

Lovely hotel in a great location. This property is very well maintained & spotless. It was a busy weekend in town and at this hotel & we were treated exceptionally well by all of the staff.
We enjoyed every minute of our stay & we will be back again soon.

• Stayed August 2011, traveled as a couple
YGKRI, General Manager at Residence Inn Kingston Water's Edge, responded to this review, September 29, 2011
Hello, reading your lovely review was the ``Perfect`` way to start my day. Please pop in and say hello the next time you are in town as I would love to meet you. I will take great pride in reading this review at my daily staff meeting.
Edmonton, Canada
Reviewed September 20, 2011

We stayed at this hotel on the Labour Day weekend. the room was spotless and very large. the king bed was perfect.

• Stayed September 2011, traveled as a couple
YGKRI, General Manager at Residence Inn Kingston Water's Edge, responded to this review, September 23, 2011
Good Day and thank you for posting this review. We do get many compliments on the quality of our beds, they are very very comfortable and spacious. I hope to welcome you back to Residence Inn by Kingston very soon, please say hello when you are next in the hotel. I am located right in the lobby area and would love to meet you.
Ottawa, Canada
Reviewed September 16, 2011

Stayed here in the summer and again in September. Great location by the lake and donwtown close to restaurants. Clean hotel, friendly and accommodating staff. Rooms are basically a mini bachelor apartment, with fridge, stove top, microwave, living room, king size bed, desk, small dining table for 2...very comfortable. Free hot and cold breakfast in the morning. Both visits, there was nothing to complain about.

• Stayed September 2011, traveled on business
Montreal, Quebec, Canada
Reviewed September 14, 2011

My husband and I have stayed at this hotel about a half dozen times in the past year. The rooms have been clean, the desk clerks have been friendly and helpful, the beds are comfy, and WiFi always works well. Once we did have a yappy dog bother us from an adjacent room, and I wish they didn't allow pets, but it was just one night (and only while the dog's owners left it alone) so we didn't complain. The complimentary breakfast is satisfactory, although nothing spectacular. Usually scrambled eggs, sausage, muffins, fruit, waffles, granola, yogurt... But never any bacon. (Boooo!!) The sausage and hash browns seem to be the processed, previously frozen kind. Like I said, nothing spectacular, but it'll do when you just want to have a quick breakfast and get on with the day. The gym, the pool, and the changing rooms are always clean. I think the pool is one of those salt water pools -- guess I should have kept my mouth closed. Yuck! Over all it's a decent hotel but the price seems to have been going up and up to the point where we don't know if we'll continue to stay here. We payed $119 the first time we stayed, then $139 a couple of months later, and most recently $179 was the best rate we could find for our chosen date. (I've seen it for as much as $279 per night.) Even the snacks in the "market" in the lobby have gone up in price. When you include taxes and the $15 parking fee, the value goes way down. This is just a three star hotel in Kingston, after all, not a big city. I think it should be less expensive.

• Stayed September 2011, traveled as a couple
YGKRI, General Manager at Residence Inn Kingston Water's Edge, responded to this review, September 16, 2011
Hello and thank you for posting your comments. I am delighted that you have chosen to stay with us when you have been visiting Kingston but am sorry that you feel the rates have been high. We do change our rates in May, as all other hotels do, to high season levels and perhaps this is why you saw an increase. We do sometimes offer lower rates, even in high season, and these can be found on our website, www.marriottresidenceinnkingston.com or you can always call me on 613 531 7200 and I would very happy to check rates and availability for you. Thank you again for your favourable comments regarding the cleanliness of the hotel, this is much appreciated.
Peterborough, Canada
Reviewed September 13, 2011

Excellent location with a fabulous view. We got a two room suite for the five of us which worked out really well. The only problem was breakfast. The food was good but the line up for the waffle maker was hug with most people making 2 or 3 waffles for family members. A second waffle maker would help.

• Stayed August 2011, traveled with family
Ottawa, Canada
Reviewed September 12, 2011

My husband and I stayed at the Residence Inn by Marriott Kingston Water's Edge. The main purpose of our visit was to participate, as a spectator, at the 15th Annual Limestone City Blue's Festival (August 25-28 inclusive). This hotel had been recommended to us by friends who also stayed here in February. We were truly impressed with the size of the room. Not only was it extremely spacious, but it was fully equipped with a kitchen, including a full size fridge, and 2 burner cooking surface, plenty of counter space, pots, pans, dishes, cutlery, etc. The king size bed was extremely comfortable. A full breakfast was also included in the price of our room. We had a beautiful view looking over Lake Ontario and the marina. The hotel is perfectly situated to the many wonderful attractions Kingston has to offer. We would highly recommend this hotel.

• Stayed August 2011, traveled as a couple