“Very satisfying stay”

Residence Inn Kingston Water's Edge
Ranked #1 of 37 Hotels in Kingston
Reviewed August 8, 2011

Great hotel with an excellent location, right on the waterfront. Pictures on the hotel's internet site are absolutely accurate. Room was quite spacious, clean and comfortable. The view from our room was great, right on the water and the fact that the hotel is near the water also offers a great place to just go walk or sit on a bench and read a book. We would definitely stay there at our next visit in Kingston!

• Stayed: July 2011, traveled as a couple
YGKRI, General Manager at Residence Inn Kingston Water's Edge, responded to this reviewResponded August 9, 2011

What a tremendous review, thank you very much for taking the time to post this. We are indeed very lucky to be in such a pretty location and I am delighted you enjoyed the view. I look forward to welcoming you back to Kingston very soon

Write a ReviewReviews (1,316)

Reviewed August 8, 2011

Right on the lake with excellent views.Hotel only about a year old and is still immaculate, rooms are actually mini-suites and include large sitting area and fully equipped kitchen with full size fridge/freezer. Plenty of public spaces for sitting and meeting, we didn’t try the restaurant as the prices were quite expensive, breakfast was standard hotel fare so we ate out most mornings. The reception staff were probably the best I have come across anywhere, always cheerful, welcoming and helpful, couldn’t be faulted in any way. Health centre, swimming pool and laundry all added to the general excellence of this hotel

• Stayed: August 2011, traveled on business

Thank you for taking the time to post this fabulous review, I will take great pleasure in sharing your comments with all my staff and in particular my reception people. Please try and let me know when you are next in the hotel as I would love to meet with you.

Reviewed August 4, 2011

We have stayed at this hotel twice now, the first time in a one bedroom suite, the second in a king suite. Both rooms were good, and well set up. I was surprised to find no bathtub and don't know if all the suites are set up this way or just some, so this may be worth asking about. when booking. However, the shower was a big size with lots of hot water and good pressure.

We enjoyed the kitchen facilities and although we didn't cook, it was nice to be able to place pop and juice in the fridge.

The swimming pool was a nice temperature and good enough for swimming short laps. The depth was about 4 feet with no deep end which suited me just fine.

Our experience was very good overall. I had three concerns though. The first was with respect to parking. I find it frustrating to pay for parking at a hotel in Kingston. I have never had to do that before ie at the Radisson next door, parking is free. It was difficult to access the parking garage as the entrance was steep and we had to get out of the vehicle to swipe our card periodically when the initial swipes were ineffective. We therefore ended up parking outside instead.

The second complaint was related to the pet policy. The hotel's website indicates that this is a pet friendly hotel, but the hotel charges a non refundable $100 fee if a pet stays in a room. When I initially contacted the hotel to find out why this fee was present, they indicated that staff needed to clean the rooms thoroughly in between visits if pets were present. While I appreciate this, I pointed out that I expected the rooms to be cleaned thoroughly whether a pet was present or not, and even if extra cleaning needed to be done, it is difficult to figure out what type of cleaning would cost this much. I also wrote this concern out on the comments card when we left the hotel and received no reply. I then sent an email to the Marriott head office and once again, received no reply. This lack of response was frustrating.

In my letter to the head office, I also expressed frustration that | could not be provided with a government rate when I worked in an Ontario hospital. Most of the hotels that I stay at offer this discount ie Fairmont, Hilton, etc so this was surprising. Again, I received no response to my question as to why hospital employees could not receive this government rate.

So, I had a few frustrations, but they were mainly administrative. Our stay at the hotel itself was delightful.

• Stayed: December 2010, traveled with family

Thank you posting this review and for sharing your experience. We have bathtubs in some of our suites but some had glass shower cubicles only, please do ask about this when you enxt book and we will try our best to allocate you a suite with a tub. This would mean electing to have a one or two bed suite however. In line with all other downtown hotels we do charge for parking, I am sorry you found this frustrating. We did indeed have problems with our scanner to access the underground parking, this has now been fixed, you are correct in that the ramps are a little tight. We endevour to allow people the choice of both parking areas so the guest can choose the area best suited to them and their vehicle. Our Pet Policy is inline with Marriott Standards, we do several checks after the guest has left to ensure no residual problems have been left by the pet. I am so sorry that I did not seem to get your comment card, I would normally have contatced you directly on this matter, I will re-enforce that I need to recieve all comment cards in a timely manner. Regarding your comment about Goverment Rate, we have a list whcih the Goverment provide us with and ONtario hospital employess are are not on this list. I am sorry you were unhappy about this. Thank you again for taking the time to post this review and please so say hello when you are next in the hotel.

Reviewed August 3, 2011

I stayed here for two nights for work. I had already been on the road for a week and I was tired when I arrived. Two days later I was almost sad to leave; it was such a nice place to stay.

The hotel is brand new, and it shows. The lobby is bright and clean, the staff are well-trained and friendly, and the rooms are fantastic. The hot breakfast in the morning gives you a really good start to the day. The exercise room is well-equipped and the pool and hot tub are great. I didn't use the laundry room, but it looked really good.

I've stayed at a few other hotels in Kingston, but from now on I'm staying here. I can't wait to go back!

• Stayed: April 2011, traveled on business
YGKRI, General Manager at Residence Inn Kingston Water's Edge, responded to this reviewResponded August 4, 2011

Hello, what a great review to post. Thank you very very much for taking the time to do this, I hope to meet you when you next visit us. Give me a call and I can ensure you get the very best room we have.

Reviewed July 31, 2011

The hotel room we booked was spotless and very spacious. The location was also great because we were still close enough to walk to all the nearby shops and resteraunts less the traffic noise. Stayed on July 26th and found the staff friendly and accomodating.

• Stayed: July 2011, traveled with family
YGKRI, General Manager at Residence Inn Kingston Water's Edge, responded to this reviewResponded August 2, 2011

Thank you for posting this wonderful review. I am throlled you enjoyed your stay with us in Kingston and look forward to the day you can return. Please say hello to me when you are next in town.

Reviewed July 22, 2011

Very nice hotel. A little pricey and the US dollar is not a very good exchange now, but a very nice hotel. We got room 1001 - top floor, great view over the lake. Request it. Very spacious rooms with kitchenette.

Room Tip: Ask for room 1001
  • Stayed: July 2011, traveled as a couple
YGKRI, General Manager at Residence Inn Kingston Water's Edge, responded to this reviewResponded July 25, 2011

Thank you so much for taking the time to post this fantastic review. I am thrilled you enjoyed your stay with us and you are correct in stating that your higher floor rooms have great views. We do try and give everyone a nice view as it such an important part of the experience. I look forward to welcoming you back to Kingston very soon. I will share your comments with my team.

Reviewed July 22, 2011

My mother , sisater and I booked to stay at this property on a recent trip to visit family in Kingston. We booked a room with a king bed and pull out couch as there were 3 of us sharing a room and we specifically planned to stay downtown as the family is in walking distance and there was a street festival going on that we wanted to experience.. Upon checking in at 8:30 pm on a Saturday night, we were told that the hotel was fully booked and our room which was the last room available was under repair. THey offered to put us in another Marriott hotel about 20 minutes away on the highway. THis was not acceptable as we specifically had planned to be downtown.

They had checked other hotels downtown and did offer us a room but with only 2 double beds. We indicated that this would not work for 3 of us and that we would need 2 rooms at their expense. Thw front desk girl who was very helpful and trying to do her job could not authorize this and called Erin, the manager, SHe would not authorize 2 rooms so I spoke with her directly. She was extrememly rude and refused to help us with 2 rooms. SHe did not understnad how important location was for us and the need for 2 rooms if double beds were only available. She even said that there isn't much difference between a double, queen and king bed - and she's in the hotel business?!

After about 1 hour ( during which time someone checked in and got a room appearantly because they had an extended stay) Erin finally agreed after speaking to male family member. We did get 2 rooms in a hotel down the street ( The Confederation - which was horrible) . Overall we left feeling very unhappy all due to the manner in which Erin handled our issue. SHe shoudl not be in the hotel service business!

Room Tip: Check in early
  • Stayed: July 2011, traveled with family
1  Thank lauriebla

Thank you for posting this review. I am so terribly sorry that we were unable to provide you with the accomodations you booked, we had maintenance issues and could not allow several of our suites to be rented. When this situation arose we tried to book rooms in comparible downtown hotels but unfortuanatly we were unable to do so, the options were limited but we did secure accomodations at the two hotels you mentioned. I am sorry that your experience at the hotel you were relocated to was not good. I was indeed called to ask my authorisation to allow you to have two rooms and this is what led to the delay in getting this information to you. I am also sorry that you felt Erin offered poor customer service, perhaps you would be kind enough to call me on my direct line, 613 531 7200 and we can discuss further. I would like to take this opportunty to again apologise for this situation.